My old middle school still has those old Apple computers.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Jan 19, 2005.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

When I went to the middle school from 1992 to 1994, they had those old bulky Apple computers that were from about 10 years before. They were considered beyond ancient even when I went to the school. I remember seeing one of them for the first tim in 1984 when I was in kindergarten. I recently asked my sister who goes to the school now if they still there. She said yes and I had to laugh. Why the hell would they still keep things like that?

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Because they are still fast enough to run basic typing programs on?

And/Or the school can't afford new eMacs.

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that they do have computers newer computers that they use that are even have internet connections.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

As long as they aren't a PET you should be happy!

They do the basics, all they need at that age.

Brent

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I remember in elementary school in NJ, every Thursday Mr. Cliff would wheel in a cart with an old Mac on it. Every 5 minutes a group of 2 got to play with it. You had to input 4 different numbers at the bottom of the screen, it took what you entered and made some weird wire frame shape. I never had the coolest one. [​IMG]

In middle school we moved up to playing Oregon Trail with 5.25 floppy discs but we still used the card-based Dewey Decimal system in our libraries. We may have had a computer for browsing through different books but everyone was too scared and unfamiliar to use it.

By high school our libraries had cataloged everything onto PC and Dewey was dead. We could even browse the books from the internets. After all the harping on about needing a word processor our family finally got our first PC in 96-97, and the typewriter started collecting dust.

Now my little sister is able to bring a laptop with her to high school. In college it's not uncommon to see people typing out their notes, then listening to music on earbuds or switching to a videogame when they get bored. And that ends this boring post.

6. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

I loved that game. I played that and Carmen San Diego all the time. When I finished my class work I was allowed to go to the library and play for a while or until the period ended.

I Oregon trail available for the new systems or PC?

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Back in the day (4 years ago [​IMG]), I saw a Mac (pictured below) being used as a doorstop.

[​IMG]

I can't believe how much Apple has changed...

8. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

ah yes, the apple 2e. i remember the good ole days of oregon trail, carmen san diego, and pico fermi. and yes, oregon trail is available for pc now. of course, it not as kewl as the old 5.25" oregon trail.

kevin t

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i still have an apple IIgs in my attic

[​IMG]

1 MHz cpu (turbo mode is 2.8 MHz), not sure how much ram, ho hard drive...used to play oregon trail and number munchers for hours on this thing [​IMG]

CJ

10. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

Dont laugh at the pet PC's, some of them are collector items now. I was looking at a ebay auction once and they
    were on fire.. Just a pet PC without drives, books software or anything.. just a bare PET computer was being priced over $400.00

11. LawZalasky

LawZalasky Auditioning

Ahhh, the Apple IIGS, my first computer. Purchased by my parents when I was around 11 or 12 years old.

No hard drive, although later a 20MB HD was available, and 720K of RAM thanks to the memory upgrade board .

I wasted many weekends playing through the 'Quest' games from Sierra. King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest etc.

12. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Just the mention of those games brings back pangs of nostalgia!

I used to sit in front of my old XT with an orange Hercules Monochrome monitor(or my parents' blazing-fast 286, and later a 386 with... GASP... 16-color EGA Screen!) and play these games for hours on end! God, who can forget how fun it was to scan through the different environments, and use that ancient text interface! Of course, one of the first things I'd do was enter every curse & swearword I knew into that interface to see what kind of jib comments the command-interpreter would come back with. [​IMG]

These days, it seems that every game out there is a FPS, where the intent is to waste as many aliens/monsters/bikers/"evil dudes" as possible. Not me - Give me the classic, story driven Sierra games any day!

[​IMG]

Moe.

13. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

better yet

Infocom games....

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Aside from the fact that you can learn to type and write using these old computers, they have one thing going for them that new ones don’t: they have already been bought. New ones cost money. Schools, like anyone else budget their money.

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    When I was in college in '94/'95 our campus actually had Mac Pluses running around campus and all I'd ever do on them was play Sid Maier's Pirates.

Jay

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Dung Beetles is where it's at. AppleIIc was the best!

17. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    Aww...my family never owned an Apple. But, we did have an IBM PS/2. We were using that till '97. Oh, and does anyone remember a game called Clyde The Explorer? I used to LOVE that game.

18. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

As others have pointed out, the reason is because they still work.

Sure you are only limited to the apps that were made for it. You can't run the latest and greatest stuff on it, but they do work and do function fast (for the apps that were made for it).

As far as crappy graphics, etc. How many of you have played those crappy "so called" games on cell phones...or played that stupid solitaire thing on the iPod?

I think the other thing is, most younger kids don't mind the 'crappiness' whereas we all can't live without the latest and greatest. My GF's cousin has a real old computer that runs on 5.25" floppies, but she still plays "Wheel of Fortune" on it. [​IMG] Her father doesn't care what she does with it because who cares if it breaks. [​IMG]