What's new

My old Hsu VTF2-Mk1 kicks my new VTF3-Mk3's butt? (2 Viewers)

MarkS

Agent
I placed my new VTF3 where my VTF2 previously was positioned and the VTF2 goes much lower. Tried moving it around the room and the VTF3 still has no where near the low end output of the VTF2. To make matters worse, the VTF3 bottoms out like crazy and the popping is very noticable and annoying. Really, really annoying.

I'm actually thinking about buying an SVS subwoofer to replace the HSU's VTF3's subwoofer to see if that would make a difference. I know this sounds unorthodox, but I need to see some return on my investment.

Any advice is certainly appreciated.

Thank-you in advance!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would not be pushing it until you verify that you have the ports and the amp settings correct for max extension or max output. WIth it bottoming, it sounds like you have it configured incorrectly and/or it is already damaged. I've owned the VTF-2 MkI and heard the VTF-3 in a similar sized room and there is no comparision.

You can't simply drop another driver into that box as that box and amp are specifically designed for that driver.

MarkS

Agent
Max extension mode with one port plugged. Mode and amp switches set to match.

I am the second owner so perhaps the driver is damaged, but I have been iin audio for the last 35 yrs and know a damaged driver when I hear one.

The 12" driver just seems weak compared to the 10" VTF2's.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With no power, gently push the cone of the driver in and listen for any scraping. The coil may be out of line.

Pull the driver out and test the resistance with a DMM. If it is a DVC, check each coil individually.

Finally, Hsu has great customer service. You could probably send just the driver in so they could confirm that it is OK.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been in audio for quite a long time too and it sure sounds like something is wrong with that guy. I was impressed with the VTF-2 when I had it, but the VTF3-MkIII was a very different animal and quite a bit more potent than the VTF-2 MkI. My guess is the previous owner probably bottomed it or pushed it too far and damage the driver.

Originally Posted by MarkS

Max extension mode with one port plugged. Mode and amp switches set to match.

I am the second owner so perhaps the driver is damaged, but I have been iin audio for the last 35 yrs and know a damaged driver when I hear one.

The 12" driver just seems weak compared to the 10" VTF2's.

MarkS

Agent
Rob - I pushed the cone in and no scraping sound.

I do not know how to test DMM.

I probably will take your advice and pull the driver and ship to HSU for testing as it is still under warranty.

Thank-you all for your advice...much appreciated.

MarkS

Agent
[SIZE= 13px]I contacted Pete at HSU support and he had me check/change some settings. No appreciable difference. Then he had me run the bass test CD - the sub showed output in the subsonic range and the driver therefore was deemed fine. During the bass test however at very low frequencies, there was this really funny fluttering sound that in my 30+ yrs as an audiophile could not figure out. It was coming out the unplugged port and since the port bends, I could not see in. So I unscrewed the woofer and be hold, it was a piece of paper from the factory (see enclosed image). In any case, while I could not find anything physically wrong with the VTF3-Mk3, I just could not get it to "hook up" and sound as good as my VTF2-Mk1 in my listening area. Sure it was louder. But I could not get it to go deeper nor sound musical. It was boom and I [/SIZE]hate boomy subs. So I was rather disappointed after reading all the reviews. I've had the HSU VTF3 driver in my hand and was not impressed - stamped steel, minimal surround, looked cheap. Have seen several pics of SVS drivers. Not saying that is everything, but their driver build quality appears much, much higher. So that will be my next stop, a second hand SVS box sub...still love my HSU VTF2 though (maybe I will just get a second one)!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MarkS

[SIZE= 13px]I've had the HSU VTF3 driver in my hand and was not impressed - stamped steel, minimal surround, looked cheap. Have seen several pics of SVS drivers. Not saying that is everything, but their driver build quality appears much, much higher. So that will be my next stop, a second hand SVS box sub...still love my HSU VTF2 though (maybe I will just get a second one)![/SIZE]
According to Dan Wiggins in a post that is somewhere in the archives stated that stamped steel baskets are much stronger and more consistent in their specs than cast baskets. But cast baskets can be designed for much more excursion than a stamped basket. Or if you look at the latest Resonant Engineering XXX series, it is a multi-part cast basket that must be assembled on top of the magnet structure. That gives you huge xmax numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks