What's new

My old AR3's just don't cut it. Suggest replacements? (1 Viewer)

Walter_C

Grip
I had not used an old pair of AR3's (wood grained enclosures - must have been 12 yeard old and weigh 50 pounds each!) that were hanging on my living room wall.
I rewired them using better speaker wires and also bought a new Panasonic HE70 receiver.

Low and behold the sound from the speakers is poor, at best. The left speaker has more bass eminating from it than the right speaker and the sound just doesn't sound right.

I gambled on not having to replace these speakers and I guess I gambled wrong!

Suggestions please on what speakers to purchase (might as well go with surround speakers) that will also not break my wallet. My living room is not that condusive to floor standing speakers and I'd rather mount my mains on the wall in the same spot as my old AR3's.
My budget you ask???? Let's say between $500 and $700 if possible.

Thanks!
Walter

Steve Adams

Second Unit
look at psb's, boston's and B&W's.....they all sound very good.....I have psb alpha series for my ht and they are probably one of the best sounding speakers for the price....
I paid the following
249 cdn for the a/v
200 for the mite rears
199 for the alpha center...I love em, just want to get a better receiver for them now....;)
the best thing to do is get to your nearest shop and spend an hour listening to speakers....when you hear something good you will know!
hope this helps....

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Sounds to me like the AR3's need some reconditioning..

They are desireable speakers, just check the prices old AR
gear fetches on ebay.. Ya might consider selling them.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Walter,

I don't know any companies that do reconditioning of vintage
AR speakers, you usually do it all yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks