What's new

My official Boycotting Sony because of Sony Pictures DVD practices post (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Just thought that since I have some time to post this, I would do so since apparently some of the studio people read these threads but don't always listen to them:
For the past year or so I've been thoroughly disgusted at Sony/Columbia/Tristar's DVD department. When they started out they were one of the best, but have done almost a complete 180 and are now one of the worst. For a while virtually every title whether new or old was put out with a new 16x9 transfer, plus a "Full Screen" pan and scan version on the same disc if it would fit. Later many titles were coming out only with pan and scan transfers, even if the movie was short enough to include both versions, and several of these titles were available in letterbox format on laserdisc. If that wasn't bad enough, they've now decided to dumb-down their previous releases- first reissuing the dual-format "Annie" disc as a "Special Edition" with only a pan-and-scan transfer, and have now been reissuing their 2-sided discs as 1-siders with only the pan-and-scan sides! What in the world was the reasoning behind that??? Although the list prices on those were also lowered, Warner has lowered prices on their dual-format titles without dropping anything, and Columbia's DVD quality USED TO BE so reliable that I didn't at all mind their $29.99 list prices (still a bargain compared to laserdiscs)! I can buy public-domain films on DVD for $1 at stores like Dollar Tree, but I won't knowingly buy a bad-quality disc even at that price, certainly not a pan-and-scan version of a widescreen film!
This practice is completely unacceptable from any company, but even more so from a studio owned by an electronics company. One would think they would consistently put out the best-quality software to motivate people to later buy some new Sony hardware to take full advantage of it. Instead they are putting out discs more suited for no-name 10-inch TVs and under-$50 DVD players.
In the next few years I'll be in the market for some new electronic toys, and if Sony's DVD department continues their backwards-thinking ways I will make a point of NOT buying any electronics from Sony. I may be getting a used computer from a friend that will at least need a new DVD-ROM drive; I'll make sure whatever brand I buy isn't a Sony. More importantly, although my 4x3 TV is still serving me well I'd like to upgrade to a 16x9 soon; when that time comes I will NOT consider any Sony TVs since they seem to think that we should buy our movies in 4x3 pan-and-scan.
I don't know what's happened at this company over the past year or so, but as a consumer the impression I get is that the people who started the DVD division mostly knew what they were doing, but have since been replaced by people who clearly don't. Whoever decided to reissue older titles with only the pan-and-scan versions should be fired. The ONLY products I will be buying from Sony are DVDs that are done RIGHT- as long as they continue to downgrade existing titles and put out new pan-and-scan-only titles, I will not be buying ANY of their parent company's electronics.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Interesting position you have taken because like many large corporations, most divisions are not in tune with each other. Case in point, you're rewarding the division of Sony (Home Video) that is causing you such despair by buying some of their product while you're punishing the other division that's probably more pro 16X9 than the americans running home video division.

Crawdaddy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I think it would make more sense to just pan Columbia Home Entertainment.

I mean, would you boycott New Line because of problems with HBO's DVD's?

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I agree with your thoughts on SONY. They seem to be pandering to the Wal Mart I HATE THOSE BLACK BARS morons> Wal Mart probably told SONY they would buy "X" amount of titles ONLY if they were FF. The bad part though is that other chains like BEST BUY and TARGET are also pandering to this mentality. I'm angry that I did not buy Bite The Bullet because now it is only FF and the film was true Cinemascope (2:35). SONY is not the only studio. MGM has released titles FF. Some of which were Lbx on Laserdisc. If they do not want to make a new 16x9 transfer at least use the old Laserdisc lbx transfer.

People have gotten on Paramount's case over the years because of the lack of supplements on the catalogue titles. But I have defended them because the commitment to OAR. EVERY Title except JADE (by Friedkin's request I believe because the LD was also only FF) has been OAR and except for the first batches of titles have been Anamorphic. Theu also have contantly delivered the best picture possible. I have been supportive of the work they deliver for some time. Also Warner (New Line also) and Fox continue to support OAR and fine quality transfers of older catalogue titles. Universal is iffy sometimes on the transfers and 16x9. But they have many titles like The Sting, Death Becomes Her and Parenthood (as examples) that need re-doing. But SONY truly is AWFUL! AWFUL! AWFUL! The times they do something correct it is WAY over priced like The Front. $25.00 is too pricey for older titles. Paramount, Fox and Universal at least are going with the $14.98 price point. Or even less for some Fox titles.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
Many Sony titles don't even have English subtitles nowadays. This to me is very annoying.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've posted my feelings about this wretched company in several other threads. I truly despise Sony now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks