What's new

My OAR Ads: "See What You've Been Missing. See It In WIDESCREEN!" (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I just took a second and fixed the Music Man ad to say "Led", AND decided to go with "music to my eyes".

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
David,
You can also do one for Ghostbusters
When all 4 of the ghostbusters walk in together.
Put on P&S, all you see is 2 ghostbusters(maybe 3)
Also, nice work:)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Joshua,you have an email :)
Dave, I was wondering if I'd be able to use one or more of those for an upcoming segment of my cable show. Please contact me if I'd be able to.
You know, the first time I "got" the whole concept was watching the SW org. trilogy, & I noticed in Empire what happens to the poor Capt. of the Star Destroyer whose ship bridge was decimated by an asteroid.
If we,or someone,is able to use clips to show a point - that would be a good one.
Calvin

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Calvin, it's all right with me. Keep in mind that:
* I did NOT take the screen captures myself. As I acknowledged right off, I took the screen shots from the web sites of others. One of whom put safeguards in place to keep people from doing that; I circumvented those "in the name of the OAR fight". My apologies to him for doing so...I threw these together in a hurry to get the concept across. So I found existing shots quickly.
* Even if he objects, they are not his or mine to give you the legal rights to broadcast these shots with.
* Do you have available to you a widescreen TV that can do "Picture in Picture" as a split screen, two dvd players, and two copies of The Black Hole? (Or a VHS copy and a VHS player instead of a second DVD player?) Or it can be another film. I just made this last night on my widescreen TV:
DCP01312.jpg

We could use that as another ad, actually: "I'm talking about that Black Hole"...."I mean THAT Black Hole!"
But for "live" demos of the concept, you can just sync up the pictures and let 'er rip, while the audience sees for themselves what they're missing! To accurately show the black bars, make sure you use a non-anamorphic title or else turn off the DVD player's 16:9 output.
By the way, I don't have a P&S copy of Ghostbusters lying around, so I can't do John's suggestion, unless the shots are online somewhere for me to grab, like I did with the first four.
There's no objections from *ME* what ANYone does with these ads, per the "public domain" note I already posted. Just watch out for other people's concerns...not mine!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave!
Awesome ads! Really good!
You need to fix up those links in your original posts, though. Both links pick up the commas at the end (which need to be eliminated) and the second one has an extraneous "s" in-between the words "widescreen" and "advocate" in the URL. Hope that's a help to somebody.
BTW, does anyone know where I can grab a widescreen shot or two from one of the Toy Story pictures?

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Dave, believe me - I have learned over the years all about copyrights,public domain, & the like.

What I do is ask the owner/webmaster of said site if they mind if we use anything. I mention HTF on my show on a regular basis - but if I wanted to capture screen shots of the site & the like - I'd get permission before doing so.

I don't personally have a widescreen tv personally available to me -yet. But,depending on how this goes, I might see if one of the HTFers in my area does, & would be willing to help out in some way.

Screen captures are nice,but actually seeing it run would drive home the point better,I think.

Thanks again!

Calvin

Thanks

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
David, I no longer have access to my original e-mail address. Would you mind sending an e-mail to my new address, which is [email protected]. I have a new project I am working on for WA, and I would like your help with it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
nothing but red x's for me and i can always see these things without being red x'ed.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I imagine David simply deleted the pictures from his server after this thread originally scrolled off the board back in May, not anticipating that it would be resurrected nearly four months later.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Carl nailed it; the files aren't on my webspace any more.

And, due to weirdness with my ISP making me move my files from one server to another and "exceeding my alloted limit" in the process (because of a problem on their end), I'm temporarily unable to put 'em back up or anything. So we're just gonna have to make do without; sorry.

I do still have 'em locally, so if Joshua wants 'em he can have 'em. YGM!

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Here's a comparison you can have:
In Star Trek: The Motion Picture, after Scott gives Kirk a tour of the shipk's exterior, as he is preparing to dock the pod to the Enterprise, you can see a crewman looking out the porthole aft (to the right, as it appears on screen) of the docking port. You can't see that in pan&scan! I just got the SE DVD today, and this was the first time I've seen this movie in OAR, so it's also the first time that I've ever seen the crewman watching the pod! (Not counting seeing it in its original theatrical run, but I was about four years old, and I don't really remember it, so it doesn't count.) :)
sttmp_ps1.jpg

sttmp_ws1.jpg

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Funny, I thought someone would appreciate my comparison...:frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Justin, I not only appreciate it, I mentioned it to someone at work when we talked about WS vs FS LotR versions. I used it as an example of the benefits of widescreen! Thanks,

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Thanks! :) It's so nice to be appreciated. :) Hope it helped!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
If you mean my ads, the subject of this thread from a zillion years ago, those red x's cannot be replaced by pics until at least Sept. 10th, due to the insanity of my ISP.

Users who are viewing this thread