My Norah Jones SACD has spindle cracks!

Discussion in 'Music' started by KeithH, Jun 28, 2003.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

After waiting for this title for so long... [​IMG]

I just noticed that my Norah Jones SACD has three spindle cracks! I bought it the day it came out, played it two or three times around the time I bought it and hadn't touched it until this morning. There were no cracks when I bought it, and it was fine after the last time I played it. The cracks most certainly developed after sitting in the case for awhile. Perhaps stress from the spindle and from heating inside the player then cooling upon removal are responsible for the problem. Unfortunately, I don't have the receipt, but I have my Best Buy credit card bill. I'm hopeful that someone at Best Buy can pull up the charge and see that I bought the disc recently. However, I don't want another copy. Maybe they will allow me to to get another title at the same price or higher.

Also, I just bought Coltrane Blue Train last night. I'll be waiting for cracks to develop. I have my receipt for that one.

Here's hoping that Stereophile and other magazines will run stories about this debacle. It needs as much negative press as is possible. Sony should be getting on Crest, as Sony has a vested interest in the success of this format.

I will probably be heading to amazon.co.uk to get the Coltrane and Norah Jones SACDs.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Oh, this means I will not be heading to Best Buy for Steely Dan Gaucho if it's a hybrid, and if it ever comes out. [​IMG]

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

O.K., amazon.co.uk does not have the Jones or Coltrane SACDs. Are they out in Europe?

I also checked www.superaudio-cd.com , and they didn't have the Jones or Coltrane SACDs either. What's the deal?! [​IMG]

4. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Keith,
    No need to have the receipt for BB,
    If you paid with any form of credit,
    They can supply you with a receipt.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry, thanks for the info. Now the trick will be to get them to allow an exchange of the defective Jones title for a different title. I obviously don't want to keep going back to Best Buy with defective discs.

6. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

HMV in Toronto finally got their copies in - and I'm not sure if I should fork over the $27 CAD now that someone's reported spindle cracks.

Was this disc pressed at the Crest plant?

Anyone else notice cracks on their Norah Jones SACD ?

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Keith,

I am sorry you are having trouble with the disc.

Perhaps the disc is still playable however. How big are the cracks?

Also, do we know for sure your copy was from Crest?

Also, why should this impact your Steely Dan Gaucho decision?

Best Buy has been honoring returns very well lately so I hope you can get a replacement.

8. Michael St. Clair

Keith,

Apparently you are one of the 'two dozen' people to get a cracked Crest disc or part of the vast conspiracy to discredit Crest and (by association) the SACD format.

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

10. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Lee,

I'm fairly sure that Michael was being sarcastic.

Far more than 2 dozen people have been affected by Crest's production problems to date, and this problem is spanning a number of titles.

Regards,

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee,

If the Gaucho SACD is a hybrid disc and is pressed in the US, then I will have to assume that it was pressed at the Crest plant, and therefore, I will not buy it. In short, I will be avoiding hybrids pressed in the US. As much as I feel that hybrids are a must in determining the success of the SACD format, I right now have to favor single-layer discs, unless the hybrids were pressed overseas.

All,

I found the receipt for the Norah Jones disc, which made my life a bit easier. At first, someone at Best Buy said that due to copyright laws, they could not allow me to exchange the Jones SACD for another title. However, when I said that the cracking problem with US-pressed hybrids had been well documented on the Internet and that it was possible that every copy of the Jones disc in the store could be defective, a manager standing nearby said I could get a different title. So, I grabbed the Police Synchronicity single-layer SACD. The last thing I want to do is get another Jones disc from the same batch and wait around for it to go bad.

After starting this thread, I noticed a single crack in my Police Every Breath You Take: The Classics hybrid. I am going to head over to amazon.co.uk in search of a European pressing.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Does anyone know where Sony's Dylan hybrids will be pressed? If they are to be pressed in the US, will they pressed at the Crest plant? That could be a fiasco, since we are talking about 15 titles. Hopefully it won't be an issues by the time these discs come to market.

13. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Make that two dozen and one in the vast anti-SACD conspircy.

My Norah Jones has developed 2 cracks around the center hub. Guess what, checked my Coltrane Blue Train which has been in steady rotation as well and that copy has developed a crack. Looks like Crest has yet to fix their problems.

[​IMG] Crest [​IMG] More Faulty Hybrids

J

14. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike,

Thanks for the info. Universal should look into having its hybrids pressed at the Sony plant until Crest sorts out its problems.

All,

I just ordered the Police Every Breath You Take: The Classics SACD from amazon.co.uk for $19.11 with shipping (£11.58). What I don't understand is that amazon.co.uk lists the disc for £9.99, but when I went to checkout, it showed up in my cart for £8.50. I didn't see anything about a sale, so I thought I somehow added a used copy or something. That's not it. I guess there is a sale. [​IMG] Unfortunately, the disc isn't slated to arrive until sometime between July 14th and July 23rd.

16. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

The same name (Crest) has popped up in the movie software pages, as involved in Anchor Bay faulty DVD problems. [​IMG]

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Is the Norah Jones disc also put out by Capitol? If so, please *someone* write them a letter to the address on the back. I'm still waiting for them to send me a replacement DSOTM disc. [​IMG]

18. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

just checked my police ebyt sacd and it has a crack in it.

oh...speakin o norah...just saw her in concert yesterday...it was wonderful

19. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason,

Seeing Norah Jones live is the safer bet than dealing with the SACD. [​IMG]

Kevin,

You would be better off hunting for a Japanese pressing of Dark Side of the Moon in every store you can find than waiting for a replacement copy from Capitol. I expect they would send you a replacement copy eventually, but it could very well be another US (Crest) pressing.

As for the Norah Jones disc, I am just going to wait and see. Apparently Crest knows of the problem, and I would guess all the record labels do to. For now, I'll listen to the CD.