What's new

My newly redone theater.... done :D (1 Viewer)

Josh Meier

Agent
You may have remembered when I posted my "finished" theater a couple of months ago and one of the biggest suggestions was to ditch the wallpaper... well, I have just finished... wnat what a project it was:

1) Took off SIX layers of wallpaper each with a layer of spackle on it
2) Put Mud on the walls where there was chunks missing from getting the wallpaper off
3) Textured the walls
4) Painted
5) Cleaned and put everything back together.

so, if you look here: http://pics.joshmeier.com/theater/new you should see the new pictures, and the old pictures are here: http://pics.joshmeier.com/theater/ for a nice comparison

Any suggestions or comments? I am always looks for ways to improve my theater... as long as it is within my budget

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I love the new color! The room looks great but and this is just my opinion, I feel the Theater chairs although you might have had good intentions of creating a theater feel takes the elegant comfortable family/theater room appearance and bring it down a bit. If you really needed/wanted that rear row I would do a bigger nicer riser with matching couches or move one of your couches to it then put recliners off to the sides of the front couch. Like I said it's just my view on it.

Wes

James_S

Second Unit

DAMN !!! That must have taken a while?

Nice color. I really like the bead board with it, Very Classy.

James

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator

Josh -- I really like the colors and the effect of the wood on the wall...looks great!

You look to have a huge space to work with...one thing I suggest you tweak, if possible, is to pull your seating forward a few feet. Your seating looks kinda 'squished' together. This should also improve the acoustics by lessening echos/resonances that occur from having the seating so close to the back wall; especially the second row of theater seats.

You could then center the second row seats better in relation to the rear surround speakers for better effects.

Wes makes a decent point regarding the second row 'real-life' theater seats. I have a set of 6 nearly-identical seats that I will be using for my second row...but I am only using them out of necessity since my room's depth is only 15'. I would rather have some more comfortable seats, but depth is a big problem and the only thing I found to fit my space is the theater seats.

Perhaps the second row is not that great a priority to you though...I know mine will be predominantly for the kids; who will really care less about slightly compromised acoustics. :) Also, there is something to be said for not having guests get too comfortable and want to come over/stay late all the time! :D And I'm sure they were priced right too.

One other thing is I think your riser would look much better trimmed out with wood (pine?) to match the rest of the room. It almost looks like you used that fuzzy car audio carpet...;) And the theater seats' salmon-pink colored frame...yikes! My theater seats are colored the exact same color, and personally I cannot stand it! Gonna paint them black.

What is the huge gray-carpeted box next to the second row seats?

I think your room is super, and with a few tweaks would have all the bases covered!

Aaron

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Big improvement Josh - nice work!

I also had pink seats that I wasn't happy with so I painted them black. It was pretty easy to do and definitely worth the effort. (I stuck 2 extra seats on my lawn today and sold them for a quick $20.)

Josh Meier

Agent
Thanks for your comments guys... I will definetely be painting those seats... that is next on my list.

Also, I am unfortunately stuck with the seats where they are because of the way that I chose to mount the projector... the projector is actually in the riser. It had a much better WAF effect.

I like the idea of trimming out the risers... I think I will look into that when I go to get the crown moulding for the ceiling.

Again, thanks for all of the comments... it's given me some new ideas :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks