My new XP is SLOWER than my old W98?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ushabye, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist
    Supporter

Paul
    I just moved from a Pentium3 500mhz with W98 to a Pentium4 2.4ghz with XP, 256ram, expecting general operations to be a bit faster, but on the new machine programs take anything from 5 - 10 seconds or more LONGER to open than on my old machine. I've defraged and all but things remain the same. Is this what XP is like or have a problem somewhere I can fix?!

2. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Very very strange there.

Have you updated to XP Service Pack 1a yet? There was an issue in just SP1 that caused programs to hang during loading for a time and an update to that should fix it. Your new machine should definitly have a marked increase in speed in everything you do.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

sometimes I find that people don't realize the shear number of extra devices that a new computer loads as opposed to an older computer. There are much more little "features included on a current motherboard, everything is moving towards "integrated". this in itself (loading drivers) causes computers to seem to boot slower.

file loading is along the same lines but due to the size of the hardrive. compare the sizes of your old w98 machines hardrive and your new machine. The increased hardrive size results in an increase in the size of the file tables, even though the computer is faster there is a fair bit more of space the new computer has to cover.

current computers are faster, but there is a lot more that they have to do as well.

well, these are a few random thoughts off the top of my head about these matters. the true problem may be something deeper than my suggestions but noone would ever really be able to say for sure.

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I agree.

Running XP with 256 ram will cause the OS to
    run slower.

You should run with at least 512 ram.

You will absolutely then see a speed gain.

6. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I just read that tweaktown article and there are some tweaks that I wouldn't do, such as turning off the login using password. It will leave any sensitive data open to anyone who gets physical access to your computer.

If you do follow that article, I recommend you think about possible repercussions to some of those tweaks. The article has some good stuff, but it really needs to list all the pros and cons for each of the tweaks, otherwise some people will blindly follow all of them.

7. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    I would get more memory I think 512 mb is recommended. I bought XP Pro and it is very fast at bootup, Boots up in like 15 to 20 seconds. All games bootup and play great!!Even Falcon 4 SP3 a VERY CPU intensive program.

When you installed, what did you choose for you file sys?? Fat, Fat 32 or NTFS. I made the mistake of selecting Fat 32 then 2 weeks later converting to NTFS. DONT convert to NTFS if you already selected Fat 32. You'll probally have to format and then reinstall windows and select NTFS file sys.
    NTFS so far is alot faster then Fat 32. I did have Win ME before getting XP Pro on my current sys and XP with NTFS file sys, IMHO is far superior and faster!!
    [​IMG]

8. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Partition Magic 8 will convert partitions well.
    You can also merge them.

9. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Make darn sure you're not running the old service pack 1. There is a bugfix, warning number MS... something-013? Anyway, that one slowed my XP machine down to an utter crawl.

Took me a month to figure out it was a bad bugfix that caused it. Downloaded service pack 1a from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp and whoa, what a difference.

XP is still slow though, all those extras and user interface baubles take their toll.