My new XBox & Halo -what should I expect?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin Watts III, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Well, the day is finally here...
    On Friday, I will finally be picking up my Xbox, & somehow, Halo along with it. (there is just no way I am going to use a demo disc only for a whole week)
    I was just wondeing what I should expect...I've had the chance to play with my demo unit at work,but not Halo,which is the game I am most interested in.
    Any & all comments on this are appreciated!
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!
    Calvin

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Women will suddenly find themselves unable to control themselves in the presence of you and your Xbox.
    Sunshine will follow you everywhere you take your Xbox.
    Plant your Xbox in the ground and money will grow on the resulting tree.
    You will cure diseases and heal the blind with the stunning graphics provided by your Xbox.
    You will be appointed lord-god-king-whatever of any game world you choose to enter.
    [​IMG]

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

As long as you only have 1 controller, things will be fine. It's when you get 3 extra controllers with 3 buddies that you'll begin missing meals, skipping work, and ignoring your family.

4. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

There is no demo disc that comes with the XBox so you won't have to worry about that. That kind of shocked me, I can't remember a single console that didn't come with something to run on it.

I've had my XBox for a week and I'm just waiting for my half.com copy of Halo to show up.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Gamecube didn't come with a demo disc. I don't think PS2 did either...can't remember. Now that I think of it I don't recall a demo disc in my PSX either. Saturn? hmmm...maybe it did. 3DO did for sure. Dreamcast had something with it too methinks.

Ok..that's the most incoherent paragraph I've written in a while. I just put a cold cathode in my PC and I think the blue light is messin with my brain.

6. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    When you get to your first outside level and look around - you'll know you are in for a great experience!

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

It actually took me awhile to appreciate the greatness of Halo, since it'd been hyped so much. As such, if you find yourself saying, "This is a pretty mediocre shooter," at first, play on. If your still saying it by the The Silent Cartographer, then, you have something wrong with you. [​IMG]
    Really, the reason it's so great is because it so refines the 1st person genre, that it comes out with little flaws.

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Camp,

I got a demo disc with my PSX, I also got three games with my Saturn, yep there was a demo disc with the DC, I don't recall one with the 3DO, and there wasn't one with the PS2, GC, or XBox. I miss the days of pack in games, as my Genesis had Altered Beast, NES had Duck Hunt and Gyromite, Master System had like 7 games in it, SNES had Super Mario World, and how could we forget that the Game Boy had Tetris.

9. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Calvin,

Don't underestimate the fun you can have with the demo disks you get through The Official XBox Magazine.

When the choice came for PS2 or XBox for a Christmas gift, from my folks, I did the homework and chose the XBox for the same reasons I bought the PS for $340 on 9-9-95.

Anyway, I'm currently saving for a house so I still don't own any games. I get great enjoyment out of the Demos however. Get a subscription ASAP! I can't believe the playability out of some of the demos. I can sit and play Amped demo for hours.

Besides, I'm waiting for the second generation games before I start investing $50 a pop. I rent, play demos, use the hard drive for CD jukebox, and watch my DVD's in 5.1 sound.

Bottom line...I've had my Box for almost 3 months, still don't have any games, and I LOVE IT!

10. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Calvin, I was where you are less than a month ago. You won't regret it. Something you may want to pick up is either an Advanced AV Pack if you're going with S-Video and Dolby Digital or the Hi-Def Pack if you're fortunate enough to have a TV capable of progressive scan ...

And as far as what to expect, it's hard to put into words. Halo is an experience. I've played other first-person shooters, and to me Halo is up there with the best of them. Very involving. I was hooked after the first 5 minutes. And as far as demos, you could always grab a copy of the Official XBox Magazine. It comes with a demo disk, and the one for this month has demos for Wreckless and Dead or Alive ...

Freddy C.

11. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

I played Halo on my Tosh 50H81 for the first time last night. A friend is back for spring break and we were up most of the night playing. I have to say that I am impressed not so much that it is such a good FPS, but because it is such a good console FPS. Up until now, shooters have been hard for me to grasp without a keyboard and mouse, but with the Xbox controller and the second analog control stick acting as your mouse, the controls are slick.

Graphically, I was moderately impressed, but we were only playing with composite cables plugged into my dirty Vid3 jack on the front. When he comes back this summer we will buy the HDpack and go CRAZY!

We went through the first 3 levels (up to but not including Silent Cartographer). The only other gripe I have is that the there not a huge selection of enemies at the beginning, and I sometimes have trouble discerning the bad guys, because there are low-light conditions and the resolution is just not a PC. I also found the covenant ship to get a bit repetitive in the hallways. These are very MINOR gripes, however...this game is one hell of an experience!

I am still having trouble shaking my experience with games like System Shock 2, and Unreal on my PC...I think that it is difficult to compare the two platforms, but nonetheless, I think I am a PC gamer at heart. At least for FPS games.

Jason

12. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Camp: [​IMG]
    That was something I needed! Thanks.
    Frederick, I already thought ahead, & I have an Advanced pack waiting to go,simply so I can play in 5.1.
    Now,if only Jedi Starfighter, Buffy , & Spiderman are good,than I'll be well on my way!
    Otherwise, I can always watch this:
    [​IMG]
    Calvin

13. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

I ordered the XBOX rag last week, I hear it takes 6-8weeks before your first issue arrives. I just can't bring myself to pay $9 for it at the newsstand when they charge $2 through the mail.

14. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I feel fortunate enough to experience Halo on a large screen tv, running through a Dolby Digital HT setup. (SVS sub, DefTech BP3000tls, Outlaw Audio, Proscan)
    It truly makes THAT big of a difference. When you get the chance to play Halo like that, it's really an experience that I NEVER quite had on a pc.
    ...can't wait for Halo II...but I think it's going to be quite a wait. [​IMG]

15. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Don't be too surprised if Halo:SE arrives with the introduction of Microsoft's XBOX network. The whole game once more, with a few improvements, new map or two, and a true online component.
    Nothing like paying for the same game twice. [​IMG]

16. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Jason. I've played a couple FPS games on other systems(Bond on N64 and PSX). I was never impressed, and it's one of my fave genre's for PC. Halo has changed all that for the better in a big way. The DD5.1 and hidef picture make for an amazing experience. Controls are nicely laid out as well.

Rumor has it that Alien vs Predator 2 may be coming to The Box, which has me drooling in anticipation. It's easily my fave FPS since Q2.

17. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

"hidef picture"

480p is not hidef. Dreamcast offered 480p as well. Looks nice, but I'd love to see that HDTV support Microsoft promised. I suspect it will never happen, basically because the Conextant chip used to output video can only output 1024*768max. So maybe we'll see 960*720, but I even doubt that.

What confuses me is that MS pimped "HDTV" support so hard, gives you the options in the dash, but there are barely even any 16:9 games to be seen. I hope we are all wrong about this.

18. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

I just bite the bullet today and picked up an XBox along with a used copy of Halo. I agree at first it does seem pretty average and the controls a little wierd. However, in a blink of the eye it's now 3 hours later and I love the game. The controls really became second nature and the immersion factor is fantastic. I haven't had this much fun since Goldeneye on the N64.

19. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

20. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator