My new TV is here--I have questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Natalie M, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Natalie M

Natalie M Stunt Coordinator

Hi All I just got my new Hitachi 53UWX10BA yesterday. I have a few questions for you guys. I've read about things etching the screen, but what I need to know is this. Lets say you're watching A&E or another station that has its logo in the bottom corner, will that logo etch the screen? I dont want to damage this TV immediately and I guess Im a little scared to use it. I know that sounds funny. Also, I have DISH and Im wondering if any of you have had problems adjusting to the picture, eyes wise and fill modes. I dont have a HD receiver and I probably wont until more stations use it. My DVD's, however, look awesome. Maybe you all can fill me in with a little help.

Thanks in advance.

2. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

From what I've heard. You can burn things in easier in the first 100 hours than you can later on in the TV's life. So turn down the Contrast very low and do not have any static images on the TV for the first 100 hours. After that, I know burn in is possible, but I'll let someone else handle answering that because I don't know many details.

For the eyes question, have you just cycled through the aspect button for each program you are watching? Instead of using Full all the time, just cycle through the different options and decide there which one looks better. Different aspects will look better or worse for different programs.

3. Natalie M

Yes I have cycled through the different fill modes, I guess I just have to adjust. After all, I did go from a regular 27" tv to a 53". What exactly are static images? i know that video games are something you have to be careful with, but what else is there? Im scared to leave it on a channel like A&E because i dont know if the little logo in the corner will burn in.

4. Peter.LeBlond

Now I'm no expert on the issue, but I realyl don't think that the A&E logo specifically would be too much of a problem because its a transparent logo. MSNBC and CNN however have really bright logos and are to be taken seriously, especially during the first 100 hours or so.

5. Natalie M

Well, I was talking about basically all channels in general because most of them have a logo. Now this 100 hour thing can be hard to follow if you dont use the tv much. How do you keep track? We havent touched the color settings except for the presets like music, movies, news, sports. There was nothing in the manual about turning settings down for the break-in. Is this something that manufacturers dont tell you?

Oh yeah, one more question. The THX blue filter glasses, are they free with the 2.00 shipping and handling? Does anyone know?

6. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Nope, they don't tell you :)
    Keep the contrast in the 30 range or less and brightness well under 50 as well at least until you get Avia or Video essentials. Those (well 1 of them) is a must have, especially if you have a RPTV to not only help you get the best possible out of the box- pre ISF calibration Pic but to help extend life of TV and avoid burn in.

7. Natalie M

I had the contrast at 38% today. Hubby saw it and said it was too dark. So Im stuck. If youre not playing video games and youre just watching tv or a movie, is it necessary to keep it that low? And at that lowered amount, its only for a certain time right?

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The higher the contrast, the more likely and more rapidly uneven CRT wear due to phosphor etching or burning will become visible. This applies all the time, not just during the first 100 hours of usage.
    I have long suggested that the first thing you do to an RPTV or FPTV is set the contrast to a third or less, or at any rate significantly less than the setting you come up with when using test disks like AVIA.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

9. Natalie M

Are you saying the AVIA tells you to set it too high as well?

10. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Hey Natalie,

I have the same exact TV (I got it 2 months ago). I also jumped up from a 27 inch TV (a big adjustment at first). People have consisently told me to keep the contrast less than 50%. The lowest I have been able to keep it while striking a comprimise between cable and DVD watching is 40 %. Any lower and I have issues with dark scenes on DVD's (the Wedding Singer's bar scene is a good example) and the cable looks much worse.

Keeping the contrast at 30 or less would keep you in-line with what a AVIA, Video Essentials or even THX optimode disc might have you calibrate the contrast at. That said, for me a contrast of 30 or less is just too darn low for cable viewing.

I am not escpecially worried about prematurely harming my TV by keeping the contrast at 40%. As for burn in - I think the best advice is to just keep from using the normal mode on the TV. As well, set your DVD player to "Auto" or equivalent so that any video based images fill the entire screen. Don't play video games on the set - save those for your 27 inch TV.

The only problem I have with my TV so far is the lack of individual saved Picture settings (contrast, brightness etc.)for each input. If you could do this it would help greatly with this whole contrast dilemma.

Don't forget to visit the Home theater Spot for some good Hitachi specific advice.

Have fun with your new set!.

Michael.

11. Natalie M

Well, right now, I dont have a video game console but Im looking into the PS2. I want to see it on my widescreen and hear it through my theater sound. For me, I doubt I would be playing games any longer than 1 hour at a time, and I have no intentions of pausing for very long. Our friends have the PS2 and when they pause, they shut the TV off, which is a good habit to get into. I still feel lost when it comes to this tv, but Ive only had it 2 days. Still theres so much to learn.

12. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Your settings for contrast will depend on your particular viewing conditions. If you notice you're loosing detail then turn the contrast up a little. I have a widescreen Tosh. and my contrast is set at 38. Generally setting brightness a little higher than contrast will help give a better picture, mines at 46. There's no 'correct' setting for contrast, although keeping it under 50% will extend tube life and help prevent burn-in. Don't keep it so dark that you don't enjoy the set.

I don't know about Hitachis, but the sharpness on Toshibas needs to be turned down below 50% or else the picture has a grainy look. I have mine set at 25%. Sharpness generally isn't very useful on RPTVs and seems to do more harm than good on the ones I've looked at.

13. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

I have a PS2. I have played small amounts of Gran Turismo on it (30mins time chunks). Make sure you use a S-Video connection otherwise in composite the picture just blows.

My two cents,

Michael.