What's new

My New System in Progress (1 Viewer)

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Hi!,
The current system I am using which is coming up to 4 years old, is a Dell PII 266mhz.
So far I have the following peices.
Will finish it off with a AMD Palomino Processor when they become available.
I also plan to pick-up a GForce 3 Graphics card as well. Other than that I beleive I have everything I need.
*Antec SX-1040 Tower with 400W PS
*102X Blacklight Neon Bolt Kit
*Abit KG7 – RAID Motherboard
*Dragon ORB 3 ThermalTake 7000RPM Cooling Fan.
*4- 80mm Sunon 50CFM Cooling Fans
*Digital Doc 5 Thermal Sensor,Fan & Voltage Monitor
*3DFX 64 meg Voodo5 Glide Graphics Accelerator
*1024 Mb Crucial PC2100 DDR RAM
*40Gb Quantum AS 7200 Hard Drive 8.5 NS
*40Gb Quantum AS 7200 Hard Drive 8.5 NS
*6 Gb IBM,Spare Drive
*1.44 MB High Density Floppy Drive
*Sony 52X CD-Rom EIDE
*16 x 10 x 40 Plextor CDR-W
*16 x Pioneer Slot Load DVD Rom
*Soundblaster Live 5.1 Soundcard
*Motorola CyberSurfer Cable Modem
*3Com Home Ethernet Gateway
*Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers
*HP K-80 OfficeJet Printer/Fax/Scan/Copier
*HP P1000 Photo Smart photo printer
*HP ScanJet 5370 42-bit scanner
*SanDisk CCF Card reader
*Belkin 7 port USB hub
*Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
*Microsoft Internet Keyboard
*Microsoft Sidewinder Digtal Game Pad
*Gravis BlackHawk Joystick
*V4 Forcefeedback Steering Wheel
*Dell 21" Trinitron Flatscreen Monitor
*Intel USB Webcam
*3Com USB Webcam
*Kodak DC-4800 3 Megapixel Digital Camera
*Windows ME
*Sarah Michelle Gellar Wallpaper
*Shaw@home Cable modem service
I should be set for HTPC and may use this when I upgrade to a FPTV system.
Thanks,
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated new pictures
due to recent upgrades!
**Equipment list current

James St

Supporting Actor
Damn :), great setup. I upgraded to an Asus A7M266 recently and have been happy. The specs on the KG7 look awesome, do you have it running yet or just sitting in a box.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Abit supports DDR now?
A word on the Geforce 3 and its capabilities on HTPC. The Radeon beats it hands down in picture quality. I've seen both. I own a Ge force 3 btw as well and only use it for gaming. IF I were going to build a new HTPC only for that use, I'd go with the Radeon card in a heartbeat. In fact what you are building is flat out overkill for HTPC and in this case I'd be more correct than if I told you your main system was overkill as I'll give you that much in the audio realm :) The difference in video quality between the Radeon and Geforce 3 was that big of a difference. On games however the difference goes the other way by the Geforce3.
1gb of ram is entirely too much as there really isn't a piece of software out there to really push that. Why buy more than you really need when you can upgrade more of your theater, buy a FPTV, or buy more dvd's with the difference?

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I want the Sarah Michelle Gellar Wallpaper! :) And I would recommend using Win2k instead of WinME (even if it is just for gaming and DVD watching) but that's just me.
And yeah, go with the Radeon - Nvida may have the fastest cards but Matrox and Ati beat them easily in image quality. I am still using my good old Matrox G400 (even Max Payne runs decent in lower resolutions) with as far as I am concerned still the best TV-out available.
I wish you a lot of fun with your kick ass system!
------------------
-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
If you want the best of both worlds, gaming and video quality wait for the ATi Radeon 8500(aka Radeon 2, R200, etc). That will be a sweet card, if ATi can make a set of drivers that don't suck in 3D performance.
Radeon users,
Did ATi ever fix the W-Table Fog problem that their drivers had? I owned a Radeon for about 9 months and then traded it after getting let down driver release, after driver release.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Thanks,
I may consider the Radeon 2 card since I am in no rush at the moment to purchase a new card. I already have a 64 meg card onhand so it will keep me going for a while.
Shane,,There is no such thing as Overkill in a computer system since there are so many potential uses for it.
This one should keep me current for a couple of years at least.
My prior system was sluggish a few months after purchasing it and I don't want to make the same mistake.
Shane,,Also there is no such thing as Overkill in a HomeTheater system either. You should know that by now my young man!. :)
quote: 1gb of ram is entirely too much as there really isn't a piece of software out there to really push that. Why buy more than you really need when you can upgrade more of your theater, buy a FPTV, or buy more dvd's with the difference?[/quote]
At 23 cents per Meg it was not an issue, plus I can still upgrade my Theater at any time.
wink.gif

The Abit KG7 was just released a couple weeks ago and does support DDR and RAID.
There are about 3 versions of the Motherboard available.
I will be using Windows XP when it comes available.
Thanks,
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated new pictures
due to recent upgrades!
**Equipment list current
[Edited last by Trevor Schell on September 18, 2001 at 12:31 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks