What's new

My new system (finally)... (1 Viewer)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Well, I decided to toss the ole AMD K62 450 MHz out the door (actually not... Im going to use it as my LinuxSolaris x86 box).

Here's what I ended up with (I built the system):
Pentium 4 1.8 GHz (512k L2, 400 MHz FSB)
Asus P4S533 Motherboard (Ultra 133- WOOHOO!)
512 MB PC2700 DDR (CL 2.5)
Full Tower Case (300 Watt PS, 6 bays!!!)
Toshiba SD-M1612 DVD ROM (16x- region free)
TNT M64 AGP Video Adapter (32 MB DDR)
Sony CRX185A1 CD-RW (40x10x48)
Maxtor 60 GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM, Ultra 133)

The entire package set be back $750, which isn't too bad. The case is an absolute monster! It's 26 inches tall!

The video card could be better, but I'm going to be using the system mainly for Programming, and the occasional non-R1 DVD.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Sounds like a good system, only things I would have done different is the vid card and got a 120 gig HD

Steven K

Supporting Actor
only things I would have done different is the vid card and got a 120 gig HD
These are the same two things I debated about... but, since I dont really game on the system, and keep all my MP3s on CDs, I really dont need a huge hard drive (I'll only use about 20 GB of the 60 in the end) Plus, I really dont have a need for a more powerful graphics card (and beside, the one I got was on sale for $30).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
you say now you'll only use 20GB :)
I thought 85GB would be plenty for video. I'm running out of space :)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
You guys must do a ton of downloading! I dont have many MP3s (only about 10 GB) and they are stored on CDs (although I just transferred them to my HD) and I really dont listen to them too often. I dont do DV, so I dont need the video.

The largest software package that I have is Visual Studio 6 with the MSDN (about 2 GB total), plus the Platform SDK which is a couple hundred MB, and then a few of my company's SDKs (like I said, its mostly a programming machine).

I agree though, if I was into DV or gaming, I should have gone with a better graphics card and bigger HD. Actually, the HD isnt a big deal... and actually, later this week I am going to get an IDE to Firewire Hard Drive case, and another hard drive to stick in it... and case is around $60, and the HD around $100... alot cheaper than spending $400 for a seperate Firewire HD!

I gotta say, the new Northwood core on the P4s is pretty sweet!... alot better than the older cores, and 100x better than the new Celerons (ugh! I dont understand why people wont spring an additional $50 for a Pentium)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks