My new system. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AdamO, Jun 10, 2002.

1. AdamO

AdamO Extra

I'm shopping for a home theater system for my apartment. I recently sold my Pro-Logic system when I moved and have been without a system for almost 4 months!
    I'm having a little trouble making a decision so I'm hoping for some insight to give me some ideas and perspective. I'm hopping to order something this week!
    First off I'm shopping for a rather small area. I live in a apartment and the actual listening/viewing area is about 15'x15', although I want a system that is powerful enough to fill the adjoining rooms and scare the neighbors. My budget is rather tight (around $1500-1700) for a receiver, DVD player (although I have a Play Station 2 I can use for the time being if I can't afford a DVD player right away), speakers, and a powered subwoofer.
    Clarity is a big deal for me. I like highs high and lows low. Looks is also a big consideration as my apartment is modern looking and some older looking junk would not fly [​IMG]
    FrontNHT SuperTwo$450.00
    SurroundNHT SuperOne$240.00
    CenterNHT SuperCenter$170.00
    SubwooferNHT SuperSub$300.00 or more
    ReceiverPioneer VSX-D811S$300.00
    DVD PlayerPioneer DV-C503 $200.00
    Total:$1660.00+
    I've read through a lot of threads and so far I like the Pioneer VSX-D811S for the price range (Pioneer is one brand I've never owned). The NHT speakers are a bit much for my space however I really liked the sound of my buddies NHT speakers (I think he has SuperZero's). I can probably save some money by going with smaller surrounds and a cheaper (different brand) subwoofer.
    I'm going to go over and listen to some Polk's and Infinity speakers tomorrow. I can't seem to find anyone locally who still has the NHT models.
    Any thoughts, recommendations, etc? Thanks

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I'm happy with my One / Zero setup, with an SVS 20*39. The only problem I think I have is that the NHT surrounds are jacked up +5 to trim them out. Not really a concern, I guess.

Your list looks great!

PS - I got my Ones from theaudiodept on Ebay for $224 shipped.

Good Luck!

3. AdamO

AdamO Extra

Thanks. Any recommendations on subwoofers priced under $300 that would match well with the NHT's?

Should I consider the SuperZero's opposed to the SuperOne's as surrounds. The only reason I bring this up is because the size of my room.

Thanks!

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I would almost consider Ones all around rather than 2's up front, unless you really want them. I'd like to try them and hear the difference, but since the sub's there anyway I'd take that money and move into the $500 sub range, my opinion. I haven't really scoured the sub market lately, but you need quality. SuperSub sounds good to me.

The only sub's I've had in-house are the SVS 20*39, an old 10" 120w RCA and an old band pass Sony HTIB. Of course, I'll say the SVS kills everything, but it really does work well with my system. The SuperSub - is that the little guy with 2 6.5"'s? I've seen one, it looks great and would likely work well in a small room.

Also make sure you can upgrade to external amps, as the NHT's (even the Zeros) can really soak up power and like it. My humble opinion, really, since I only run an HK AVR110 in a 15x28 room with 40*5 watts and am satisfied, but they sound a bit thin at REALLY high volume.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would agree with going with Ones all the way around. Take that cash and put it towards a better sub or a better receiver. If music is important, then I would strongly suggest listening to Marantz and Harmon Kardon.

For DVD players, I pretty much tend to stick with Sony or Panasonic, as they have the best picture that I've seen of the mass market players. Use the PS2 for now, but you will get much better performance later with a decent player.

6. AdamO

AdamO Extra

Right now I'm leaning towards the Pioneer VSX-D811S receiver. It simply offers the most bang for the buck. However I am considering the Marantz SR5200, Outlaw Audio 1050, and Onkyo TX-SR600 models. I would consider Harman Kardon however I saw a few at Circuit City and I did not care for the cheap feel of the buttons. I may also look at Denon and Yamaha however I'm focusing on the above models for now. I probably will use this system for 75/25 movies/music. I listen to a large selection of music and like crisp (clean) sound, which is the main reason I like NHT. Any comments on receivers? I've read a lot of the other threads however I haven't seen many regarding NHT and good receivers.

I like to buy matching components when possible (i.e. the same brand DVD player as the receiver). I understand the Pioneer is not the best for the money. How about the Marantz or Onkyo? I'm going to research DVD players next but if anyone has a moment to add a comment I'd appreciate it. It's been almost 3 years sense I've bought home theater gear.

Regarding using 4 SuperOne's. I have considered this, however I would have to spend another $60-100 on speaker stands which would really only save me around $100. I like floor-standing speakers and I think the SuperTwo's would sound a little better with the extra sub. I'd like to find someplace with both in the same room so I could compare the two, but so far I'm out of luck tas they are discontinued and not available in most showrooms.

Thanks again for all the help.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you listen to more movies, then I might say Denon or Yamaha might be better. Better amplification, but both have a distinct sound to them. I own a Marantz SR6200 and it is a very good receiver all around also. I listen to more music than movies, which is why I went with Marantz, particularly for 2ch listening. The 5200 is also a very good reciever, and I would highly recommend giving it a listen.

Give the new NHT line a listen. The SB1 and SB2 are better speakers than the Super series, IMO, though they are more expensive also.

You can make or buy some cheap stands for next to nothing and just use them for a while.

Matching components is not at all necessary, but I understand the reasoning. I stand by my recommendation for Sony and Panasonic DVD players. Not just because they have good picture quality, but because they are good units. I have a Panny that is just over 5yrs old and it is still going strong. My other two are Sonys and I am happy with both.

8. AdamO

AdamO Extra

I ordered my speakers today from OneCall. They are being shipped out freight and should be here sometime Thursday or Friday. Here's what I got:

- NHT SuperTwo's
    - NHT SuperCenter
    - NHT SuperZero's

I debated a lot between the SuperOne's and SuperZero's. The size and price of the SuperZero's ended sealing the deal.

Now I'm deciding on a receiver. I'm almost 100% set on the Pioneer VSX-D811S (I saw it at Circuit City today while buying "Black Hawk Down" and it looks very nice for the price, solid, nice remote for the price range, etc).

I am also still looking at subs. I'd like a NHT but I don't know if I have the space or money right now. A NHT SuperSub is going to cost $330 (with shipping or more).

Thanks for the advice so far (and the forum). It's a great way to pick up on the new technology available for someone like myself who’s been out of the game for a few years.

9. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

You will like the NHT's I'm sure. You may want to keep your amp options open and get a rec with pre-outs. I don't know if the 811 has them, but if it does, you're set!

Good Luck!!

10. AdamO

AdamO Extra

The Pioneer has a 6.1 channel preamp output. I orderd it this morning for $299.99 from savinglots.com (I could find it cheaper but after shipping it was actually a better deal then some of the others I found).

I can't wait to get it set up!

11. AdamO

AdamO Extra

The receiver showed up this morning. Somehow my apartment number was not printed on the label so delivery was delayed.

The system rocks. Very clear sound with more then enough bass and I don't even have my sub yet (should be here by the end of the week). Sweet system!

12. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Congrat's dude!

I hope the sub works out for you!

Now start thinking about power amps....