What's new

my new SVS 22-31PCi (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
no, not a typo, my SVS25-31PCi was tuned to 22Hz.
I finally fired it up and gave it a proper workout after it sat in my office for almost a month supplementing my miserable mini-compo -- excellent results, though, the bass was much better and right now in the office the system sounds so anaemic without the sub. :frowning:
reason for the hiatus was that I was waiting to sort out my new condo, and then take delivery of the rest of my HT gear. for the record, Marantz SR8200, Mission 782 + 78C + 78DS (a.k.a. Mission Cinema 8)
as many do, I fired up a known bass-heavy disc first. in my case, U-571, depth charge scene. impressive boom with the depth charges. and I wasn't anywhere near reference levels (no, I didn't calibrate, just estimated everything, since I haven't got an SPL meter. will be borrowing one soon). at this time, the sub's gain was set at around 2 o'clock, i.e. probably about 60% of the way up.
the fellow from the hifi shop who delivered and installed my system was suitably impressed. nothing in his boss's shop comes anywhere near the SVS, one of the reasons I bit the bullet, took a leap of faith and ordered online sight unseen (or should I say ears unheard).
I put in Phantom Menace, pod race. WOW
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
for the first time, I found out why this is always cited as a sub-killer. it was downright SCARY! the whole apartment shook (believe me I am NOT exaggarating), the doors rattled, I could feel the vibrations in the sofa I sat in, my pants leg flapped (well, shivered a bit). it got to the stage where I opened doors to avoid them rattling in the frame as it was getting annoying.
Toy Story 2 and Titan AE were similarly impressive. by this time, I was seriously worried about neighbours' complaints, although this was in the middle of the afternoon and it's a barnd-new condo so very few people have moved in yet. I turned the sub's gain down to about 11 o'clock, i.e. less than 50%. still frightening bass though.
I had to leave to pick up the SO, so with speaker break-in in mind, I left the receiver on to a radio station, volume was very moderate, practically background listening.
when I came back, as I approached the front door, I felt this incredible pounding/thumping, typical in a disco where the music's way loud. I kid you not, door still closed, remember the volume is practically background music level only. for just a moment, I was wondering if something had gone wrong...
I quickly opened the door. yes, the music was still quite soft, but there it was, the SVS was just pounding the bass rhythm out effortlessly (the radio was playing some nameless boy band). curiously, once inside the flat it didn't seem as fearsome, but the thumping feeling when outside was positively frightening, if you didn't know what it was.
I then had a go with some music concerts, the Eagles and Roger Waters both sounded incredible. at the lower gain level, the SVS added just enough oomph to the bass notes without being boomy. in retrospect I suppose I must've run the pod race with the sub several dbs hot. I finally pulled out Avia, and based on ears-only calibration, seemed to confirm that the sub was now at a more ideal level than earlier. the low-frequency sweep sounded fairly even, though I think I got a big dip around 60Hz, went back up and was more or less flat until rolloff, which seemed to be around the high 20s. or perhaps I just can't hear that low.
what can I say, thank you Tom and Ron! another satisfied customer! (although one who now has to look over his shoulder in fear of irate neighbours... ;) )
BTW Tom, I didn't optimize positioning, the sub's just standing between the TV console and the left front main, and not in the "nook" we'd previously discussed. WAF will probably not allow for placement there. heck, she hasn't seen the sub yet, I am awaiting an earful for buying such a huge monster :D
and actually, if the object of corner placement is to naturally augment the performance (SPL-wise, not freq. response), with an SVS, you don't need to worry about that, there's more than enough dbs! :emoji_thumbsup:
I then tried some CD music with DPL2. Wacko Jacko's Thriller :b has never sounded so good. I must say the added ambience is brilliant.
and all this without even going into proper calibrations or settings. I wish I could take two weeks' vacation right now and just play with my new toys... :D

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
After read your post, I just can't wait for the arrival of my 20-39pci. I ordered it today and he said he sent it out today as my request!!! (but I don't see any UPS tracking #s yet) If that's true, it should be here with me this Friday and Sat, Sun.......my days off!!!! That's why I requested they send it out today though, if not I'll have to wait until next weekend to play with it.

Just can't wait

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
curiously, once inside the flat it didn't seem as fearsome, but the thumping feeling when outside was positively frightening,
I've experienced this phenomena also... (16-46 CS+) I was watching a music DVD when my wife came downstairs and said "YOU HAVE TO COME UPSTAIRS NOW!" when I went up the whole house above the HT was vibrating to the beat. I have since moved to another portion of the basement with more doors separating from her family room. It has helped a lot.

Enjoy, Mitch

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
curiously, once inside the flat it didn't seem as fearsome, but the thumping feeling when outside was positively frightening,
Outside my home seems to emit this odd thunder type sound. LOL yesterday my neighbour said he thought he heard thunder but it was clear skys. Then he remembered I told him I was going to watch a movie! Man and I have everything calibrated I play -10db from reference and actually adjusted my sub down -2db it's still killer.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Yee-Ming,

Thanks for that very well written review. You just might find that one up on the SVS site soon ;^) You've captured the SVS experience in a nut-shell (at least what it is we strive for with every sub that goes out the door).

Binh-Vu,

If that isn't the single most startling upgrade you have ever made to your music and movie playback system (since our subs are about much more than "just" movies) I hope you contact me personally. We're talking day and night differences here.

Ron

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
SVS-Ron

feel free! (to use the review, that is.)

just a side-note, I see that you and Tom haven't been as active on the forum the last few days, I guess you must be busy getting the PC+ ready? all I can say is, given the PCi's pedigree, the PC+ must be one awesome sub! too powerful for my apartment -- the PCi is already "a bit much" -- but I'm sure there are others who will need the extra dbs and can use it to its full advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks