What's new

My new subs best friend. Bike tire inner tubes! (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I completed my Tempest sonosub several months ago, and it was just under a month ago that it and I went back to school. Problem is, the house was built in the mid 50s and right beside where the sub goes are mid 50s windows. Wooden framed single paned windows that open by sliding in wooden grooves. Then there is also a single pain storm window on the outside of this. As you've probably guessed the problem is the sub really makes these windows rattle. So how to solve the problem.
First attempt. String a wire across the window, twist it tight, and place some stiff foam between the window and wire. Took some of the rattles away during music with milder bass. But movies and music with heavier bass still rattled the damn things.
Second attempt. Bought 4 bike tire inner tubes (there were 4 panes to deal with). 12.5" tire diameter by 2.25" tube diameter. Folded them and taped them up so they would expand properly, then placed them between the storm window and the window and pumped them up until they were exerting pressure on both pains. Problem more or less solved. No more rattles. Only the sounds created by really big bass that shakes the whole house. Which saddly I can't do anything about.
Tis sweet not having WAF to deal with and owning the place you live in while going to school
biggrin.gif

------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub
[Edited last by Dustin B on September 28, 2001 at 06:39 PM]

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Ah, my sub lost its' buddies :frowning:
Oh well, doesn't bother me any.
Before and After
Windows that don't rattle are so nice (the tire tubes kept deflating on me so they were a pain). Side benefits are I can open the new windows without fighting with them and I don't have to swap storm windows for screens every year anymore :)
I really wish I knew about this replacement window option 5 years ago. They custom build them to the correct size for your existing window frames. The way they are designed they can just be slide in, screwed in place and your existing jams reused. Very slick. One day to replace 14 windows.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
lol, Dustin that "before" picture is hilarious.

So what you're saying is you had to replace the whole window as a final solution?

Oh, I just got 3 ply vinyl shades that work wonders at blocking out light. It can be daylight outside and my room will need lights on in order to see. It maybe something to look into in the future I got mine at a Home Depot.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Hehe. The rattling wasn't why the windows were replaced. House built in the middle of the 1950's and I believe the windows I had were original equipment. Not a good thing to have in the climate we have up here. The new windows will likely pay for themselves rather quickly with the energy savings.

If I get a projector I'll be doing something about light control on that window. But I was thinking along the lines of making a very heavy curtain for that window which could sort of double as an acoustic treatment to get the left side of the room matching the right a little better.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Now it's time to make a new equipment rack that allows you to use the inner tubes to 'float' each piece of gear.

GM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks