my new stero

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by NickSI, Nov 12, 2005.

1. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

Hi i need a new stereo! my dad gave me his old one and he wants a new one. He needs a reciever (stereo is all that is neccicary) speakers and a new CD changer im kind of new to the stero market but have some knowledge from my time purchasing a surround sound system and a new TV

the listening they do is quiet classical and radio. you know old people music like musicals and cristmas songs during the holidays.

his price range is no more than about $500 which i know isn't a lot but hes an old stingy man. he isn't afraid of used parts. Please help me help him so he doesn't go into best buy and walk out with some KLH speakers and Reciever

2. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

the room is pretty big about 12x15 and this stereo is used to entertain the dinning room which is adjacent and open to the living room where the stereo is

the old system was a JVC reciever and Genesis speakers so thats what kind of sound im looking for

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

For their type of listening I think bookshelf speakers w/out a sub will do the trick. I'd reccomend something along the lines of a HK 3380 stero receiver, HK 8385 CD Changer, and JBL E30 speakers. This setup can be had all from www.bhphotovideo.com for around $515 total. BHPhotovideo is an authorized online dealer and also has pretty much the best prices online. If you could up the budget to about $615 you could get better E50 speakers, but for their listening habbits i think the E30s will do just fine. Some will reccomend you spend more on the speakers than the electronics but in the instance you can't really spend any less on electronics and expect anything of any quality. The speakers are no slouch either and will do just fine, they're great for the value.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the input ill try and find a place that has these speakers to listen to. any other reccomendations for spekers of similar quality and price incase i can't find a good place to test the JBLs

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

It's not the best place to listen/test but Best Buy carries the JBLs. Circuit City also carries HK electronics, but i'm not sure if they carry the stereo receivers (just multichannel i think).

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

[​IMG]