My new Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JeremyR, Jan 26, 2004.

1. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    I was just going through some of my older CD's collection trying out my 2 week old speakers, 2 Paradigm Titans, 2 Atoms (surrounds) and a cc-170. The 2nd CD I put in I switched from the "Pro-Logic Music" setting to just stereo with the subwoofer still on. I checked my setup and had my main speakers set at Normal. I own a Kenwood VR-507 rated at 100W per channel, and it has 2 settings for the main's Normal and Large. I have them set on Normal. I had in Christopher Cross (not sure if you're familiar with him, but did alot of easy listening music in the 80's) and was listening to "Ride Like the Wind". I noticed when the bass hit I could hear a popping noise coming out of one, or both of my Titans. It starte when I had the thing turned up about 3/4 of the way. The receiver goes from -100 to 0 and I had it on about -30 or -28. I was only using stereo mode when I noticed the popping. Now, the Titans are rated to be used with a 100 W/ channel receiver so why in the hell would I be bottoming out these speakers with my receiver set to normal? Is that what was causing the popping? And if I was overdriving them.. have I cause serious significant damage? When there was normal just low base tones.. I didn't notice the popping, it was only during the bass drum beats. Please don't tell me I've destroyed my new speakers. When I turned them down and listened to them about halfway.. they sound fine.. even on sustained low-end sounds. And when I put in "Independence Day" on DVD and listened to it turned up pretty high I didn't notice this popping. I don't think I damaged them if i was bottoming them out.. but I'm surprised that I was.

2. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    I got a response from somebody on another board who told me that it was unlikely that I damaged them but that I just needed to watch the volume. I also realized I had the bass boost on inadvertently on teh receiver, when I assumed that woudl simply boost the bass to the subwoofer, but I guess it also boosts the bass sent to the speakers. I just always assumed that the internal crossovers wouldn't allow a speaker to get a signal that would be enough to overdrive it like that. But then again.. I'm still pretty much an idiot regarding this stuff. Any other thoughts on this, and can I assume all is well or should I have them checked out? The sounded fine to me again when I turned them on this morning with the bass boost off, and the little Digms cranked out some beautiful music with some nice rich lows without any distortion.

3. John S

John S Producer

JeremyR, While I am surprised. What do you have the xover for the sub set at on your AVR?

With those speakers, I would not go below 100hz, and probably keep them a little higher even.

best of luck with them.

4. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't think I can set a crossover unless I am missing something in my setup on my receiver. I think my only options are "Normal" and "Large". Now, I would assume this will change the crossover point, but then maybe I'm wrong.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm using Titans as surrounds with an 80Hz x-over and 120wpc and I have no issue. You probably weren't bottoming them out, but you may have been driving them to near distortion or were creating port noise with the bass boost.

Large will give you no x-over. Normal, if it gives you no options, will mean you have a fixed x-over.