What's new

My New Sony STR-DA5ES (1 Viewer)

David Glenn

Second Unit
Damn, only 3 days and I found a defect on my new DA5ES.
Well, I'm pretty sure I got a defective DVD/LD Coax Digital Input. I get no audio with my new digital coax cable. Optical inputs are working fine. I tested my digital coax cable on the CD/SACD Digital Coax input and ruled out a bad coax cable.
Off to J&R to see if they will swap it out. Otherwise I'll have to test Sony's warranty service.
What a hassel, it figures I get a bad one. :frowning:
Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be anything other than a bad input connection?
BTW, other than this problem I'm really enjoying the receiver.

JackS

Supporting Actor
David- Did you select the coax option in the DVP? When this occurs, it seems many people forget it has to be designated in the audio setup of the player. Hope this was the problem, good luck.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with JackS. When you have both coax and optical, there may be a menu option to select which output is actually in use. I would rule this out first, before going through the hassle of trying to send it back.

David Glenn

Second Unit
I was never one for reading manuals. I love to dive right in and it almost cost me a return for no reason.

You guys were right, you can choose audio sources via the menus of the "Input" & "Input Split" buttons on the front panel.

Thanks for saving me a load of aggrevation.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Sony gets enough bad pub without stuff like this. Next time you may want to rethink your title/header and just try asking a question before assuming there is a problem with the receiver.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sony EARNS it's bad publicity for the DE line.

I helped a friend with his 3ES last weekend, and aside from WAY too many configuration items, it sounded very good. Much of my other gear is Sony, but not my receiver.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
John, thats a first. Criticizing a receiver for being flexible. The Sony ES line is not for the novice because of its many useful setup options.

I wouldn't touch the DE line, but it isn't any worse than many other similar priced pieces IMO. Anyway, my point was pretty clear I thought, without your comeback. Just because someone fails to RTFM, is not reason to have a post entitled "My New Sony STR-DA5ES is Defective". Maybe taking the high road and asking for help would have been prudent.

David, this is not meant to beat you up but the ES line doesn't have 3 and 5 year warranties without a reason. I am glad you got it straightened out.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Is it me or do some of you guys need to SIMMER DOWN. Think about how ya feel when you spend a considerable amount of money on something you have placed hours of research in and you hook it up without reading the manual( Tell me you never have done this). Charles, try not to take these threads personal. I think most of us have been where David was at one point. Look at everything going on in the world and be happy that this is such a cool forum to save people from making common mistakes.:D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wasn't intending to critisize the 3ES for an over abundance of config options, I was merely stating that it does have quite a few. While Sony is trying to have a contingency for every possibly scenario, I don't see all the config capability being useful to EVERYONE. There were numerous options just for the sub alone, and while their use was obvious to me, it may not be for others. In which case I would agree that these are not receivers for or marketed to, the novice HT consumer.

To your other point, while I agree that the header may be a bit misleading, at the time it was written, David believed he did, in fact, have a problem. This also goes along with the fact that there are numerous options in the menus to sift through to find something so simple. I don't feel your comment was any more justified than mine.

David Glenn

Second Unit
Charles,
I hope my thread won't be the cause of marketing failure for the SONY ES line of receivers. :rolleyes: I would hope people would not condem a product line based on a report of one defect.
As pointed out, I truly thought I had a defective receiver. I'll admit, it was my bad for not putting a question mark at the end of my thread title.
I've requested that this thread be retitled or deleted entirly so as to not slander the SONY line of ES receivers.

Jeff Massey

Agent
Enough with the fighting, lets get to the important stuff! How do you like the Sony. I am wavering back and forth between the denon 3802, yamaha 1200, and sony 5. I've listened to all three and like the way all three sound. I would just like some more members feedback on the Sony. I just got a pair of vandersteen 2ce sig (was running the 1b's) and can not wait to get my new receiver.

Thanks

Jeff

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Get the Sony. The price is right. I have the 3802 and love it. But at that price you would be crazy not to get the DA5ES. 6 full equalizers. One for each channel.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
$800 delivered or less. Go for it!

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Jeff, by getting the Sony you will have a plethora of control that you just don't have with other receivers. The bass management alone sets it apart from most receivers. If you have a sub sat speaker setup where the fixed crossover of 80hz will do, you may not need the flexibility of the Sony. If you have speakers that have decent full range capability (say 40hz or so), or plan to get full range speakers in the future, the Sony would be the way to go. Also, if your room has tough accoustics, the EQ could also be very usefull. If none of this interest you and you don't like navigating through menus to set this up, you may be happier with a more straight forward approach. Still, like any other receiver, you set it up once and forget about it until you make a system change (like speakers or adding an outboard amp etc). The 2 5.1 bypass inputs are also a big plus.

Sony's replacement prepro for the E9000es should be interesting as well. I am hearing late this year for that piece.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
The 5ES has an onscreen setup to your tv? I assume one can do everything just using the LCD on the receiver itself, but how much easier is it using onscreen? My audio rack is a bit away and I already have long video feeds from the dvd component out to the tv and I really don't want another long video cable or to switch the long component cables to the receiver and get 3 more to go from the dvd to the receiver.

Another question. Suppose, I did have a dvd going into the component in on the receiver and a vcr going into the receiver with s-video, can I get away with just a set of component out from the receiver or would I also need a s-video out? (ie can it send a s-video input out over a component output? I'm guessing not...)

Jeff Massey

Agent
Thanks everyone,

I currently have a soney gx800es and love it. Never had any problems. So I believe the 5 will be the way to go. I just wanted to hear some feedback for other members.

Thanks

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks