My new Panasonic RP56 Progressive Scan Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron-P, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I just picked up this Progressive Scan Player to feed my Mits 46" 16:9 on Friday and finally got it out of the box last night.
    Got her all wired up and was able to run a few disks thru.
    First off, I am by no means a professional at the tech side of this stuff, I just like to watch movies. So, this small review will be in laymen terms.
    I went with this model because it has the latest Sage/Faroudja chipset which has been getting great reviews and it does not have a lot of bells and whistles. No DVD-A, no upscaling for non-anamorphic dvds, which are features I did not need. What it does not have is the chroma bug which plagues a lot of players, including the new Sony models. One other down-side is it does not have a coax-out, only optical, but for me that was not a major issue
    Other than that, at a Best Buy price of $216.49, this progressive player produces an image above and beyond what I was expecting. Far better than the set-ups I was using in the A/V shops I visited.
    The picture is nothing short of amazing. Right off, I noticed a much more fluid like motion to the image, very smooth and natural, everything seemed to just flow across the TV. The detail that became noticeable was amazing. Every detail on a face just jumped out, like I was standing in front of that person. In Gladiator, for example, the detail on Crowes shield, his face and his armor was outstanding. I also noticed a much more 3-D type picture, much more depth. The colors also improved, but minor in comparison to the above.
    This player replaced my Sony 530D. As I was testing other PS players in the A/V shops, the difference was noticeable, but not to the extreme that I noticed when I got the RP56 home. I imagine this is also due to the major amount of tweaking I have done to my Mits. I am sure the set-ups in the stores and out-of-the-box and turned on.
    I have yet to watch a film from beginning to end, that, I will due tonight with the SuperBit DVD of Desperado. Then I will comment on layer-changes and anything else I notice, like or dislike.
    One thing I noticed was in progressive mode the picture was brighter. I went in and changed the black level setting on the player from brighter to darker. Is this normal?
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon
    [Edited last by Ron-P on October 15, 2001 at 04:09 PM]

2. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Ron,
    I too was looking at the RP56, but got side tracked by the new Toshibas. After gathering information (I certainly wasn't given information by Toshiba OR their website, but that's another story) on their new line, it apparently uses the Zoran chipset which has "the bug." Therefore, I may switch back to checking out the RP56. Thanks for the review!
    BTW, the Desperado Superbit kicks ass in DTS! The gunfights (which appear every 10 minutes or so) are loud, bombastic and provide PLENTY of low end umph! The gun/rocket launcher streetfight at the end is awesome. Actually, it was on this disc that I made up my mind to get rid of my DVDP due to "jaggies." Even a layperson like myself could plainly see the jagged diagonal lines by looking at the strings on Antonio Banderas' guitar.
    Enjoy!
    Ron

3. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

Everyone seems to be giving the RP56 great reviews, which could be the case, but why is it that I cant get the picture to look as good on my TV as everyone elses seems to be?

4. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Ron-P,
    You will not be dissapointed with Deperado! I watched it on my 56" hd Ready Panny with the rp56 and it was phenominal!. Ron R. you are sure right about that DTS track!My dual SVS 25-31's got a good workout! An excellent movie looking and sounding the best it ever has! Thr rp56 is a fine player for the price! I have a jvc progressive scan player also but i give the edge in picture quality to the rp56.

5. andy_brehm

So is it just me, or why is everyone saying the picture quality is so good? How can I get better results? I have hooked the player up directly to the TV and it looked the same, what else can I do, or what other players should I be looking at?

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Andy,
    Give us more information. Do you have your TV calibrated? ISF? hooked up component? Progressive on?
    Is it a HDTV that accepts progressive?
    Let us know as your comments are vague.

7. andy_brehm

Shane,
    I have a Panasonic PT-61HX40. I have tried to look up some of the specs on Panasonic's website, but they must have ditched the page after the newer PT-61HX41 came out. Anyway, I know that its a HDTV 1080i compatiable set. As far as I know, it should be progressive compliant.
    I have not had the set calibrated. I havent even heard of such a thing up till about a month ago. What all is involved in the process, who can do it, and what would it cost?
    I am running all component video from player to reciever to TV. I have tried hooking the player directly to the TV, but that has not helped, and the progressive out it turned on.
    I am really hoping that someone can direct me the right way because so far my progressive experiences have been less then optimal. Anyway, with a HD set I am really wanting a good picture, and my old RV65 gave a better picture as an interlaced player then my new RP56. Anything else that will help just ask. Thanks!

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

9. andy_brehm

Cool, Ill pick up one of those magazines, hopefully there is one in town that I can get my hands on.
    I have a Yamaha RX-V1000. I have tried hooking the tv and the player up directly taking the RX-1000 out of the loop and I didnt notice any difference, so I am thinking that the Yamaha is not degrading the quality at all, or at least I dont think so.
    Ill try to see if I can find out how to calibrate the set and see if that helps. Is there anything else that I can do. Thanks for your help thus far.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Andy,
    Video Essentials and Avia are Dvd's. They run about $30-$40.

11. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    hi Andy!
    Video Essential and AVIA are calibration DVD's. [​IMG]
    They really help up to about 80%-90%. The other 20%-10% can only be done by a trained ISF calibrationist or someone really smart with the necessary equiptment [​IMG]
    I dont know how much youv read, but for starters, turn the Contrast on your TV at least down half way, that goes for everything else until you get your AVIA disc.
    I would also warn against connecting component cables thru your receiver unless you know for certain it can pass those frequencies.
    Turn off any skin tone enhancements or other "frills" your tv may offer on the video side of things.
    Also make sure you turn off any unnecessary video options that your DVD player may offer.
    Your TV should have a few hundred hours (dont quote me i forgot) on it before any ISF calibration is done.
    Hmm, cant think of anything else right now [​IMG]
    http://isfcalibration.com/Intro.htm "Charlie don't surf."
    [Edited last by Henry Carmona on October 15, 2001 at 06:13 PM]
    [Edited last by Henry Carmona on October 15, 2001 at 06:14 PM]

12. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

13. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

I'd say you see a great improvement in picture quality you're seeing is due to the sub-par doubler Mits uses in their TV's, which you have been using up to now [​IMG]

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    quote: You should be aware that the RP56 has the flicker bug, which is definitely worse than the chroma bug on the list of annoyances.[/quote]
    Damn, there is always something. Care to explain? What would this Flicker Bug look like? I did not notice last night when running thru some of my dvds.
    If it is that bad I may have to pick up the Sony 700p and give that one a shot.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Ron-P on October 15, 2001 at 06:34 PM]

15. andy_brehm

Whoops, I guess you can tell how much I know about this subject! Now that I know they are DVD's I may have an easier time finding them huh?
    From what I have seen, going through the reciever does not degrade the quality at all, but I may end up changing anyway.
    All special video modes are off on my TV, and DVD player so that shouldnt be a problem. Its kinda hard to describe, but the picture is real "grainy". It dosent have nice smooth or sharp clear lines that I was expecting.
    I just dont understand why an interlaced player gave me a better picture. If I turn the RP56 to interlaced it is noticiably worse to horrible, so the RV65 wins over the RP56 in interlaced mode.

16. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Well, I ran the SuperBit "Desperado" thru the new player last night and it was excellent. The dts was outstanding.
    I also watched some Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare B4 Xmas, Toy Story and Gladiator. I have yet to see signs of a Flicker Bug.
    Now it is time to return it and try the Sony NS700p. For a few dollars more, I have to try this player as well. My luck with Sony has been nothing but stellar and it also has a good review at HThifi.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Ron-P on October 16, 2001 at 10:16 AM]

17. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Re: flicker problem - perhaps someone didn't see my review/post:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/045118.html
    Where I said:
    ...After reading about flicker reports, I watched Toy Story 1, I think it's chapter 4 which has been mentioned on that other site's tests, where the cowboy is standing by a cylinder with a red top - the red top FLICKERS noticeably in progressive out from the player, but NOT in non-progressive. Hmmm....

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Paul, if you are referring to myself, I did read your review. But, I posted my question asking what was the flicker bug about 4 hours before you posted your review.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Ron-P on October 16, 2001 at 05:20 PM]

19. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Wrong post LOL
    [Edited last by Joshua Moran on October 16, 2001 at 07:40 PM]

20. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

The flicker is caused by a feature of the Sage chip called the Cross-Color suppressor. This is designed for composite sources or material that came from a composite master. It will remove the cross-color artifact.
    On some material, having this feature turned on, you will see areas of saturated colors flicker.
    The Skyworth and RP56 both have it turned on. None of the other US Sage DVD players have it turned on.
    I don't think this is anywhere near as bad as the chroma bug.
    Ron, I would stick with the RP56 over the Sony.