What's new

My new movie theater pet peeve. trailers that start late and last 20-25 minutes... (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
WHY do movie theaters insist on starting moive trailers when the MOVIE itself is supposed to begin.
Poeple at the theater last night were moaning over how many friggin trailers played before star trek started. It was absolutly ridiculous......:angry: :angry:

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
When i saw Die another day the trailers never ended. They even put in some tv commercials. If i want to see tv commercials ill watch TV. Everyone was pissed off. The least they could have done was show the LOTR trailer :)
I know i heared a few people say it out loud.
capt

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I love trailers. They can show as many as they want. I am getting tired of ads, but trailers never bother me. They're a tradition.

I'd rather people be finding their seats and getting settled while ads and trailers are on, than do it after the movie has started.

I saw The Two Towers' trailer in front of Die Another Day.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm with Vickie, I tend to really enjoy the trailers. I don't know what it is but their kind of exciting. You see the green or red rating screen and wonder what film trailer this is...could it be The Matrix Reloaded, could it be The Two Towers, or something new altogether. They're fun.
But yes, I can't stand tv commercials in the theater, they belong at home on television.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Trailers, yes. Commercials, NO. As if the product logo feces isn't smeared across every available inch of America already...:angry:
Bruce

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I have been increasingly aggrevated watching movies in the theaters.
First, many trailers are giving away way too much of the plot points of the movie they're advertising.
Now the commercials :angry: :angry: :angry:
And now they want to fit in like 20 trailers!
It's getting bad. I don't go to theaters anymore unless it's a must-see-in-a-theater action adventure type movie. Comodies, etc I wait for the DVD.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I love watching the trailers and I can usually live with commercials, but I almost killed myself after I saw this one very stupid NASCAR Coke promo. Anyone seen it?

Colin-H

Second Unit
I enjoy the trailers, too, but the commercials grate on my nerves. The most ineffective (and, therefore, pointless) have to be the video game commercials. Game engine–generated polygon graphics just don't hold up (the aliasing is especially ugly) when printed to film and projected on a cinema-sized 2.35:1 screen.
When I saw Nemesis the other night at a Hoyt's, commercials and trailers combined weighed in at around 24 minutes! The movie's starting time was 9:20 (I didn't note when the lights actually dimmed, but this is not a research journal), but the feature didn't start until 9:44. Mark another one down in the ridiculous column.

Eric Lipp

Agent
C'mon, people. If they didn't have all those ads and trailers, then tickets would cost $8.50 and a drink would be $4.00....er, wait....

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
bring on the trailers, but next time i see a freakin TV commercial in a freakin MOVIE THEATER i'm gonna kick the commercial in it's NUTS.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I'm one that loves the trailers, but hates commercials.

I know that my theater starts the trailers at the time the movie starts on the weekends. So if the movie time says 9:00, then thats when the trailer starts.

During the week, however, the movies start at the correct time, they just start showing the previews early. So those of you who hate previews, I suggest checking to see if your theaters do this too.

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator
I love seeing the trailers, too. But one thing I have noticed lately is a trend towards high numbers of trailers that appear to have been edited.

When my wife and I went to see Harry Potter last month, I was hoping very much to see the trailer for LOTR: The Two Towers. Having seen the full trailer in a tiny window on my computer, I was anxious to see it on the big screen. It was there, but it was only about 20 or 30 seconds long and was very rushed and choppy. I don't know if it was a studio permitted edit, but it was pretty disappointing compared to the full trailer I was expecting. I guess this is done to get in more previews. I believe there must have been about 6 or 7 trailers shown, some full, some not.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Commercials DO NOT f^@&king belong in a theatre.
We pay money to see the film. Once we pay, we should not be subjected to commercials. Keep the commercials on free TV, please.
Alas, they are probably here to stay though. :angry:

Ron McBadger

Stunt Coordinator
I am beginning to hate the trailers and the commercials also. Before I went to see HP 2 they must have shown 4 trailers and about 4 commercials. The movie already was long and this just made it longer. It was almost 1am when we got home after going to a 9:30 show. What a joke.
To make matters worse I went to an Ultra screen and one of the speakers was blown or something and the sound was awful. Apperently to the 15 year old running the movie the solution was to turn the volume up to 11:angry:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
When my wife and I went to see Harry Potter last month, I was hoping very much to see the trailer for LOTR: The Two Towers. Having seen the full trailer in a tiny window on my computer, I was anxious to see it on the big screen. It was there, but it was only about 20 or 30 seconds long and was very rushed and choppy. I don't know if it was a studio permitted edit, but it was pretty disappointing compared to the full trailer I was expecting. I guess this is done to get in more previews. I believe there must have been about 6 or 7 trailers shown, some full, some not
New Line made a special one minute trailer to be played at the front of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. They had included 5 or 6 others to also be played, but our theatres only showed the one for TTT. No commercials in our theatres, either.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

I used to work at a movie theater and we got complaints either way. Starting the trailers for an 8pm show at 7:45 pissed off those who showed up at 8:05 And having 15 minutes worth of trailers starting at the posted showtime pissed off everybody else.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Starting the trailers for an 8pm show at 7:45 pissed off those who showed up at 8:05
Those who show up at 8:05 for an 8:00 show have no standing to complain. If they'd showed up on time, they wouldn't have missed anything.
Personally, I wish they'd lock the auditorium doors after the projector starts. One of my biggest theater peeves is people coming in late then stumbling and bumbling around in the dark trying to find an empty seat. :angry:

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
My wife and I laugh our asses off at people who show up 5 minutes before the movie starts looking for seats.
"Are those 2 seats right in the middle taken?"
"No Dumbass, I've been saving them just for you."
:rolleyes

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I wish they'd lock the auditorium doors after the projector starts. One of my biggest theater peeves is people coming in late then stumbling and bumbling around in the dark trying to find an empty seat.
While I wouldn't want the auditorium doors locked once the projector starts (wanting to keep the ability to relieve my bladder if needed open at all times), I do agree with the sentiment. When we saw Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets opening weekend, a family of like 5 came in right before Dobby was introduced. Mind you, the show had been sold out for over a week... we had waited in line for about 45 minutes, and the four of us had trouble finding seats together. But these jackasses have to go up and down the rows yelling across the theater on the status of finding five seats together. God forbid they could seperate after interrupting the show.:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks