1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My new movie theater pet peeve. trailers that start late and last 20-25 minutes...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Dec 15, 2002.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

WHY do movie theaters insist on starting moive trailers when the MOVIE itself is supposed to begin.
    Poeple at the theater last night were moaning over how many friggin trailers played before star trek started. It was absolutly ridiculous......[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

When i saw Die another day the trailers never ended. They even put in some tv commercials. If i want to see tv commercials ill watch TV. Everyone was pissed off. The least they could have done was show the LOTR trailer :)
    I know i heared a few people say it out loud.
    capt

3. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I love trailers. They can show as many as they want. I am getting tired of ads, but trailers never bother me. They're a tradition.

I'd rather people be finding their seats and getting settled while ads and trailers are on, than do it after the movie has started.

I saw The Two Towers' trailer in front of Die Another Day.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm with Vickie, I tend to really enjoy the trailers. I don't know what it is but their kind of exciting. You see the green or red rating screen and wonder what film trailer this is...could it be The Matrix Reloaded, could it be The Two Towers, or something new altogether. They're fun.
    But yes, I can't stand tv commercials in the theater, they belong at home on television.

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Trailers, yes. Commercials, NO. As if the product logo feces isn't smeared across every available inch of America already...[​IMG]
    Bruce

6. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    I have been increasingly aggrevated watching movies in the theaters.
    First, many trailers are giving away way too much of the plot points of the movie they're advertising.
    Now the commercials [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And now they want to fit in like 20 trailers!
    It's getting bad. I don't go to theaters anymore unless it's a must-see-in-a-theater action adventure type movie. Comodies, etc I wait for the DVD.

7. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I love watching the trailers and I can usually live with commercials, but I almost killed myself after I saw this one very stupid NASCAR Coke promo. Anyone seen it?

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

9. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I enjoy the trailers, too, but the commercials grate on my nerves. The most ineffective (and, therefore, pointless) have to be the video game commercials. Game engine–generated polygon graphics just don't hold up (the aliasing is especially ugly) when printed to film and projected on a cinema-sized 2.35:1 screen.
    When I saw Nemesis the other night at a Hoyt's, commercials and trailers combined weighed in at around 24 minutes! The movie's starting time was 9:20 (I didn't note when the lights actually dimmed, but this is not a research journal), but the feature didn't start until 9:44. Mark another one down in the ridiculous column.

10. Eric Lipp

Eric Lipp Agent

C'mon, people. If they didn't have all those ads and trailers, then tickets would cost $8.50 and a drink would be $4.00....er, wait....

11. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    bring on the trailers, but next time i see a freakin TV commercial in a freakin MOVIE THEATER i'm gonna kick the commercial in it's NUTS.

12. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I'm one that loves the trailers, but hates commercials.

I know that my theater starts the trailers at the time the movie starts on the weekends. So if the movie time says 9:00, then thats when the trailer starts.

During the week, however, the movies start at the correct time, they just start showing the previews early. So those of you who hate previews, I suggest checking to see if your theaters do this too.

13. Chris Baucom

Chris Baucom Stunt Coordinator

I love seeing the trailers, too. But one thing I have noticed lately is a trend towards high numbers of trailers that appear to have been edited.

When my wife and I went to see Harry Potter last month, I was hoping very much to see the trailer for LOTR: The Two Towers. Having seen the full trailer in a tiny window on my computer, I was anxious to see it on the big screen. It was there, but it was only about 20 or 30 seconds long and was very rushed and choppy. I don't know if it was a studio permitted edit, but it was pretty disappointing compared to the full trailer I was expecting. I guess this is done to get in more previews. I believe there must have been about 6 or 7 trailers shown, some full, some not.

14. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Commercials DO NOT f^@&king belong in a theatre.
    We pay money to see the film. Once we pay, we should not be subjected to commercials. Keep the commercials on free TV, please.
    Alas, they are probably here to stay though. [​IMG]

15. Ron McBadger

Ron McBadger Stunt Coordinator

I am beginning to hate the trailers and the commercials also. Before I went to see HP 2 they must have shown 4 trailers and about 4 commercials. The movie already was long and this just made it longer. It was almost 1am when we got home after going to a 9:30 show. What a joke.
    To make matters worse I went to an Ultra screen and one of the speakers was blown or something and the sound was awful. Apperently to the 15 year old running the movie the solution was to turn the volume up to 11[​IMG]

16. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

17. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

I used to work at a movie theater and we got complaints either way. Starting the trailers for an 8pm show at 7:45 pissed off those who showed up at 8:05 And having 15 minutes worth of trailers starting at the posted showtime pissed off everybody else.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

19. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

My wife and I laugh our asses off at people who show up 5 minutes before the movie starts looking for seats.
    "Are those 2 seats right in the middle taken?"
    "No Dumbass, I've been saving them just for you."
    [​IMG]

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer