My new Mits. 46807.....a review of my weekend

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron-P, May 29, 2001.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Saturday the 26th Ken Cranes delivered and set-up my new Mits 46" 16:9 RPTV. They did a quick 3-point convergence and checked to see everything was good to go. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I then put in Vertical Limit to see how she was out-of-the-box. Things looked good, I was happy. [​IMG]
    That night I had a few friends over to watch Red Planet. Talk about a terrible picture. Blacks were so dark faces were hard to make out, the whites were overly bright, there was very little detail, the picture was grainy with quite a bit of haloing. Needless to say, I was disapointed. I apologized to my friends, wrote it off as out-of-the-box picture and in need of serious calibrating. [​IMG]
    Sunday came and I began tweaking. I first installed the Radio Shack attenuator for the red-push issue and noticed a major improvement in flesh colors. I then closed the door to the HT room, turned on the back light and inserted Avia. This is where this disk is worth its weight in gold. Going through the video calibraitons I adjusted the contrast, brightness, sharpness, color and film temp. (set it to low, 6500k). Next, I did the 3-point convergence then moved to the 64-point. The convergence was not too bad, only the edges needed work, but the rest was good to go.
    Two hours later I emerged from the HT room with a smile on my face and renewed faith in my purchase. What I thought was good was unwatchable compared to now. Colors were vibrant, blacks were dark with detail, whites were perfect, 80% of the grainy picture was gone and the haloing was greatly reduced.
    Needless to say, I am very impressed with this TV, it produces a beautiful picture and really shows off what DVD is capable of. Toward years end I plan on picking up a progressive player and then haveing her ISF'd. I will re-calibrate in a week or two, but for now it is time to sit back and re-watch some of my favorite DVDs.
    Thanks to all for your help, comments and answering my questions.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon/

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Great to hear, Ron!
    I know the excitement led you to have friends over as soon as possible, but I would have held out until at least an AVIA calibration and the 64 pt convergence was done. I guess it's just the perfectionist in me. I view my HT not only as that, but also as a selling device. Every time new people come over to see my HT I convert more people in HT fanatics.
    Well, now you have to invite those same people back to show them what your set can *really* do.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Hey Carlo,
    Actually, I already had the movie night on the books before I bought the new TV. It just so happened that KC had a Saturday spot open for the delivery so I jumped on it. Otherwise I would have waited until I got her properly calibrated before showing her off. But yes, they will be back soon to see her full potential.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Ron- I'm just about ready to take the plunge to the 46807 also. I know you went from a direct view(I've toured the Green Room) to the RPTV as I plan to. Every time I go to the showroom, I find the direct views to look clearer. Is it just poor calibration of the RPTV's? Are you happy, other than the size increase, with the picture quality compared to the direct-view? Thanks.

5. Christian Sonntag

Hey Ron,
    Congrats on the Mits. Glad you got her up and cal'd already. I spent the weekend doing the same thing with my Dad's new Hitachi 53" RPTV. But I also had to completely re-wire his HT, put in higher quality speaker wire, mount the surrounds on his side walls, and do the AVIA audio calibration. Whew, what a weekend. Now the system looks and sounds sweet.
    The RPTV made mw drool over replacing my 32" XBR direct view set. Unfortunately, I don't have the room for anything bigger in the family room. I'll have to wait until I can build my HT in the spare bedroom.
    Sorry I didn't get in touch this weekend, but as you can see, I was kinda busy! Maybe next time. Hope you had a great holiday.
    Regards,
    Chris
    ------------------
    Christian A. Sonntag
    "The world owes you nothing. Take responsibility for your own actions!"

6. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

Glad to hear that you got the major kinks worked out, Ron! Do you have any plans to line the inside with Duvatyne? When I had my non-HDTV Mitsu 55" RPTV ISF calibrated, the calibrationist lined the cabinet and it made a *huge* difference. I probably could have done it myself in about 2 hours, give or take. Let me know if you want details.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    James,
    Direct views will always look cleaner. Although I have heard that a properly ISF'd RPTV will hold its own against a direct view. Remember, the bigger the picture, the more you open yourself up to notice flaws, softness and the like. I am happy with regards to the picture quality. I prefer the projected image vr the direct view, it looks more natural to me. I've seen HD signals on direct views and the detail is overkill and looks fake, IMO. That is another reason I went projection, a softer more natural image. It does take some getting used to. Some say after a couple weeks you will not want to go back and I can already see why. I watched Red Planet and Armageddon over the weekend and some of the images are simply breath taking, much more than my Sony direct view could ever produce. Make sure you have the red-push attenuator ready to install, it makes a hell-of-a difference. If you need part numbers from Radio Shack, let me know and I can post them for you. All-in-all, I am very pleased with my choice and the picture quality that this set puts out. It puts out a beautiful picture and I have seating as close as 5.5' and as far back as 9' and it looks awesome at either location. Good luck, I have no doubts that you will like it. If I can help in anyway let me know.
    Hey Chris,
    Thanks! No problem getting in touch, it looks like you were very, very busy, glad everything worked out with your dads set-up. Bet he is a happy man, I know I am with my latest upgrade. Cannot wait to get home, grab a brew and spin another disk. The picture is getting so good, its hard to stay away [​IMG]
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Chad,
    What exactly will this stuff do for picture quality? Yet another question, will it void my extended warranty? What have you experienced before and after installing the Duavtyne? I am intrested in doing it, but probably not for a while. I have yet to get up the nerve to open her up.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------

9. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Hey Ron,
    Wassssssssssssuppppp!!!
    Duvatyne - there is a great thread on how to do this over at the spot and it explains the ins/outs of it. It has been stated by Paul(owner of the spot) that the 46" does not need this due to its size. The theory behind this that it masks all relfective material within the cabinet so that all the light/picture goes directly to the screen and is "reflecting" off of any other material.
    Several owners of larger sets (particularly 65") have noticed a nice improvement. Myself - well I am thinking of doing it but I probably won't since playing around inside my cabinet does not thrill me.
    And to answer your question YES(as far as I know) it would void your warranty. I think all you have to do is crack open the cabinet to do that (I really don't know though).
    Anyway I am pretty stoked about my 46807. I got my attenuators today (paid for them from the guy at the spot as I am to lazy to fiddle with the Rat Shack stuff) and will check it out this evening.
    So far I can say its going quite well. I am a wee bit disappointed with the pic from cable/sat but thats only because the signal sucks (satt being way better than cable of course) but I can honestly say that this bad boy really SHINES with DVDs and I am not even using progressive scan yet.
    One question for you Ron have you noticed anything about text being a little fuzzy on yours, ie credits beginning and after and sometimes on subtitles??
    Thanks
    Greg

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Congrats, Ron! I think you will be pleased with the Mits, as I am with mine.
    Before you invest in a progressive scan DVD player, you might look into the DVDO iScan Pro line doubler, which you could hook into your existing DVD and LD players.
    Of course, you could just get the Denon 2800, which has the DVDO chipset.
    Too many toys, not enough money! [​IMG]
    - Steve

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Greg,
    Projection sets will have a softer look to them, so you will notice come softness in letters and such, I do also, but it is not bad at all. Have you calibrated with AVIA yet? This made a world of difference on mine.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Ron, I've been following your little "RPTV story" here for some time, and it's been interesting and informative. But now I am really anxious to see the new setup in the Green Room! I can't wait till mid June, can't you put up some pictures before that? [​IMG]
    /Mike

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Hey Micke,
    I've been trying. Now that the Green room is black for the most part, my pictures are not coming out too well. I tried to take some pics last weekend and they looked like crap. This weekend I'll give it another shot.
    I am 95% complete on the revamp, just some small detail stuff to finish up, then I will be able to update my website.
    Thanks [​IMG]
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Ron, sorry to hear about your problems with getting good pictures, but I'm happy to hear you're working on it. [​IMG]
    /Mike