What's new

My new Marantz DVD player does not work :( (1 Viewer)

Jin E

Second Unit
Received my new Marantz DVD player yesterday (DV4200). Excited with my new toy, I had her out of teh box and installed in about 2 minutes. Powered her up and ran through the setup menu in another 2 minutes, and I was ready to rock and roll. This thing was a snap to set up, and the setup menu was just as simple if not simpler then my old TOshiba SD3006.

Since my Toshiba did not have DTS, the first thing I put in was a DTS disk, Santana Supernatural. Player played the disk fine, and went over the layer change that would lock up my Toshiba with ease. Next came my "imprt" copy of Lord of the Rings. The opening menu my Toshiba had so much problem with was handled by the Marantz with ease... boy was I stoked!

After finishing off dinner I popped out my Latest Netflix rental, Clerks. All went well for about the first 20-30 minutes, when all the sudden the DVD player would lock up. The video would freeze, audio would dissapear, and the player would not respond to any of the remote commands. I was able to power the unit off, and turned it back on. I restarted the movie and skipped forward to the section where it locked up. This time, the player went over that section w/o a snag. I settled back down and started watching the movie again, and again the layer would lock up after 20-30 minutes. I repeated this 5 times, each time locking up at totally random times (never did it happen i the same spot twice). Now I'm quite despondent over my player, and pop in Terminator 2. Long story short, The player played all the way through T2 without any problems. Looked great, sounded great, etc!

It was now getting really late in the evening, but what the heck, I popped in Jay and SIlent Bob strike back in the background as I got ready for bed. Low and behold, after about 15 minutes, the player froze again! "Fuck it" I said, I'm off to bed. Hopefully I just got a bad unit... but I'm quite dissapointed with the player's freezing problems right now. I did take a few minutes between T2 and JSB:SB to try out the player's multiregeon capabilities. With a few punches of a button you can set the player to any regeon you want... cool! I can finally play my Japanese copy of Princess Mononoke!!!

Jin E

Second Unit
Now, this morning, I was able to play JSB:SB all the way through w/o locking up. ACK!

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Jin,

I own a DV6200 and never experienced any of the problems you went through. You probably have a bad unit. Now what's that button combination you mentioned that allows you to watch multiregion DVDs...?

Jin E

Second Unit
I contacted the people I purchased the DVD player from. They said my unit was defective, and that they are getting a RMA number from Marantz, and that Marantz will send someone to pick up my old receiver and in the mean time send me a new one. Cool! Here is the multi regeon hack for the DV4200... dunno if it will work for the 6200, but it is supposed to!

Multi-Region Codes

1: Power off Unit with remote.

2: Power Unit on again with remote with NO disk in drive.

3: Wait for the "NO DISK" message on the unit's display and then push the (PAUSE) button on remote once.

4: Enter (314159) on remote "CODE" massage appears on the face of the DVD player.

5: Enter (0) on remote for region free, (or you can program in the specific regeon) and push (PAUSE) button again.

6: Power off unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks