What's new

My new little girl (1 Viewer)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Meet Sadie, our newest family member.
Purebred Golden Retriever, 6 weeks old.
Link Removed
Link Removed
It'll be a real experience trying to potty-train her. Anyone have advice, or experiences?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jared: I clicked on your post with dread, and was absolutely delighted with the outcome! Congrats, fella! Here's to a long, healthy life for your "baby girl." JB

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Very cute puppy! I'm a cat man myself, but I had to get a dog it would probably be a retriever. Hope she brings you many years of happiness. On a side note, my cat Stormy will be 11 this Sunday, so wish her a happy birthday!

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
best way to potty train is to consantly take them outside and praise them when they do their duty outside. Say nothing when they do it inside. I always brought a treat and rewarded them for doing it. 5 years later, I still say "good girl" when my pooch goes outside.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
best way to potty train is to consantly take them outside and praise them when they do their duty outside.
Yep. Puppies need to be taken outside at least once an hour, or when you notice that they are walking in circles and sniffing around (basically, trying to find an acceptable (to them) spot to do their business). When you do take them out, work on associating a phrase with the deed. "Sadie, go potty." "Sadie, go poop." "Sadie, get going," whatever. Just pick something and be consistent with it. When they do what they're supposed to do, praise the puppy with "good potty" (or whatever you use) and give them a treat. Before long they will not only know to go outside, but you can prepare them for long car rides or stays in the house by having them go on command.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Congratulations! :) I love Golden Retrievers. They're such great dogs. If I ever get a dog, that's definitely what I'll get.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Very cute dog :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: I like how it looks like she is smiling ;)
I have two girls myself:
11 month Old English Bulldog
2 yr old Bassett Hound

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
That's an adorable baby girl you have there. She's got a wonderful smile.

Greg, is there a theme I detect with your dogs? Do you hope they'll trip anybody that breaks into your house? Also, are Bassetts good dogs? I'm considering getting a dog in the future, as I'm buying a house soon. I live alone, which will be a bit of a problem training a pup. But it'd still be nice to have a dog again, and Bassetts are one breed I've always liked. By that I mean I think they're silly looking and would be fun to have around.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
It'll be a real experience trying to potty-train her. Anyone have advice, or experiences?
Kennel or crate training can really help with this. Stop at a book store or pet store and pick up a new puppy book. Then, go buy a pretty big kennel or crate - but first, section it off so your puppy can grow into it gradually w/o it being too big.

Dog's donb't want to soil where they sleep, so you can use this instinct to reinforce that there are times/locations where you can have the puppy go potty.

Just went through this. This may sound extremely weird, but I've successfully litter trained my 6 month old puppy. Most people react and say that's bizarre, but the first time I wasn't feeling well and the puppy just went over and used her litter pan without my prompting or needing to take her out, it was all worth it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks