My New Kenwood VR-7080 THX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnnyCorona, Jul 1, 2003.

1. JohnnyCorona

JohnnyCorona Agent

OK, so this is my non-professional review of the Kenwood VR-70800 Receiver. Couple people here were currious about it.

I upgraded from a Sony STR-SL7, so any receiver probably would have impressed me!! The suggested retail of the 7080 is 599, but I found it for 389, plus sold my old receiver for 200, so the upgrade didnt cost me much.

When I first opened it was very happy with how heavy it was compared to the old one, I just knew it would have more power for my Yamaha towers, and it did! The base, mids, and high ends sound great with those speakers! I tested first with music and was very impressed with the clarity. The left and rights are very distinct. Not too impressed with all the so called surround sound modes for cd audio, personally I think standard 2 channel stereo sounds better, since thats the way it was recorded.

Watching movies was a great experience, on my old system I could never understand the dialog without turning the center way up, which kinda ruined the effect. On this one its very clear, even at low levels. DTS sounds amazing, cannot wait to get a center surround speaker to test that with. And the midnight theater mode (which keeps the soundtrack at a consistant volume) is great since I have close neighbors. It sounds normal, never sounds like the receiver is adjusting the volume at all.

The learning remote is also very cool and seems to make all my friends jealous. The buttons light up, animate, and change, when changing modes. Then disappear completely when setting the remote down. The remote is a little hard to get used to tho, the only complaint I have is you cant feel the buttons, so its difficult to use the remote without looking at it, but Im getting used to that. It also did a great job of controlling ALL my other components, so I can ditch all the other remotes I had.

The reciever looks very nice, has a nice silver finish on the front. The display is not that impressive, kinda plain, but then again who cares, its the sound I am after.

Its got tons of sound control options for those who like to customize everything. EQ settings, tone controls, THX modes, speaker size, speaker placement, sub remixing for sending low freq to mains and sub, or just sub, etc.

Im sure some of you high end guys will tell me I should have bought this, or should have bought that, but for less than 400 I dont think I would have found much of a better deal. For someone who lives with very close neighbors its perfect, and with the ability to add external amps later I think this reciever will last me a long time.

The End...

Johnny

2. JohnnyCorona

JohnnyCorona Agent

3. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Glad to hear that you like it. I have the 6070 which is the same but with a black finish and a different remote. Have you went thru and used a SPL meter to setup your speakers. I hate how you have to use the receivers test tones to setup the front left and right speakers, but you can set the rest of the speakers up without having to listen to the test tones(?)!

4. JohnnyCorona

JohnnyCorona Agent

Yah that is a little strange. No, I dont have a meter yet so I just played it by ear. I have a question about the video switching tho, is it impossible to use that with 1 source being component, and the other source being svideo or composite? Seems like it only works if they are all the same type of connection.

John

5. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

6. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Great review, Johnny. I wasn't sure if the TouchZone™ remote justified the additional cost over the VR-7070, but it appears that it's working well for you, not to mention it being a conversation piece. I'll put in my order for the VR-7080 a bit later; my priority right now is a DVR unit.

7. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

8. JohnnyCorona

JohnnyCorona Agent

ebay baby!

johnny

9. Mike J Z

Mike J Z Auditioning

(Brings back a thread from the dead) I have been thinking about this receiver also---however I am starting to get a taste for good sound. I am woundering if I where to use the main preouts of the Kenwood into say...MA-500 monoblocks If I would notice a difference. In otherwords, how is it as a preamp?

10. Greg Peniston

I had one with a Parasound HCA 855A and it did fine. The only problem I had was the excess noise when engaging the active EQ. It was probably a defective unit because it was quite audible even from across the room.

11. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Mike

I use my 6070 with a 425 watt per channel separate amp. I was surprised that there was little difference in sound from the 6070's amps.

Then again, people say that the only time you can hear a significant difference is when amps are pushed to clipping. Unless you have very inefficient speakers and a huge room, the 100 watts of the Kenwood may be fine.

Also note that in stereo the 6070 managed 120 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 188 watts per channel into 4 ohms. With both channels driven. Even managed 96 watts per channel (8 ohms) with all 6 channels driven simultaneously. (Sound&Vision 11/02). That is fine performance from a $400 (street) receiver.

The only thing that bugs me is having to use the test tones to adjust L-R balance.

Artie