My New Improved Stance on OAR

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I've Finally come to the realization that regardless
    of how much us HT Enthusiasts Bitch, Gripe, Moan
    or Complain regarding studios and releasing MAR DVD's
    they are going to do what they want, and what they believe
    is going to yield them the most profit. Those decisions
    are based on whatever voodoo Focus Groups that they employ.

Well being that I'm a Widescreen TV owner, I too Can make
    decisions. I can decide that I will not purchase films that
    are not in their OAR. Period. I'm not going to cry if somewhere down the line my favorite classic film is in MAR. I'm not going to complain if the newest Blockbuster comes out P&S only. I'm just going to silently not spend my money. Hopefully that will speak louder than any protests I could make. And hopefully if other WS Tv owners do the same, that will send an even louder Message.

In the Grand scheme of things we are in the minority. It might not even bother the studios to lose our $$$. But I have certainly other avenues to spend my Money on. I'm a DJ and the music Industry can certainly take my cash. I Own an Xbox so If I can not watch above P&S Blockbuster, I'll buy a new Game to play. Or Imagine this I Actually save the money and not spend it. I hope others will come to see this
    as the only method of speaking to the studios.

I Have also changed my stance on including the P&S on the same disk as a Widescreen version. I used to be all for that seeing it as a way that the HT Enthusiasts and the JSP's could coincide in peace. Well Forget that. If the studios do not care about us and the JSP's would be happy if everything was in P&S, why so I settle for Reduced
    Bit Rates. So Please Studio's Keep them Seperate releases coming.

Finally Some may say well I won't buy the disk but I'll rent it. DON'T DO IT ! Do not give the studios any of your Hard Earned cash for MAR Releases. Wait a few months for the inevitable Cable showing. Heck at least there getting P&S forced down your throat isn't a nasty to the wallet.

So to all the studio that Support OAR, Dual Releases I say thanks and Keep up the great job. To any studio that decides Family Films or Older classics don't need an OAR Release, or decides to MAR a Blockbuster, with no OAR Release, I say, Oh well, life is too short, and Money is better spent

ELSEWHERE.

2. DeVario

DeVario Agent

I heard that!

3. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I remember when DVD was first introduced, there was a big deal about player side pan & Scanning. For instance... All DVD's would be released in widescreen, but would have "flags" the player would recognize that if the person wanted to they could enable pan&scam mode and the player would do it.

Why didn't they keep doing that? It would have been so perfect!

4. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Re: Pan and Scan on the Fly

Won't happen. Studios don't want to go through the extra process of this on all releases. And many Wal-Mart players won't do this very well.

5. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I have taken this stance for a long time.

However, I think this message needs to be sent to Wal-Mart; not HTF members who have practically all taken similar stances.

6. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I agree totally. There are plenty of movies that are in there OAR that I haven't bought yet, but it is a shame to think I can't get certain movies because I'm not gonna settle for a MAR release.

7. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

8. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I agree with you Dave. I feel disappointed when, for instance, one of my fellow DVD enthusiasts just has to buy Disney's Pan-&-Scanned Muppet Treasure Island just because he is such a big Muppet fan. That's not the right thing to communicate to the studios. They need to know that we can put our money where our mouths are, and keep our money away from where our mouths aren't.