My New Home Theatre - Components Question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by joePhin, Jul 30, 2006.

1. joePhin

joePhin Auditioning

Hello all. My family and I have recently decided to create a home entertainment system, and I was wondering if you could help at all.

We have already bought the speakers (Bose Acoustimass 6, even thought people hate bose) and the DVD player (Sony DVP-NS50P).

For the receiver we are thinking about Yamaha's HTR-5930SL 5.1 model, and the projector will probably be Optoma's H31 480p DLP Home Theater Projector.

I'm not sure what wires come with what, so it would be great if you could all help me out and figure out what wires I need. I have the cable that connects the subwoofer to the audio receiver, and the red/white/yellow cable.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great! Thanks a lot

2. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

Well, a few things:

- That receiver choice would be fine and you shouldn't have trouble using your existing DVD player.

- If you plan on bracketing the Bose cubes to the walls or ceilings while concealing the wires at the same time, you'll likely need a special wiring harness they sell that will allow you to rig standard in-wall speaker cabling into the factory cabling (which is almost never long enough).

- I'm sure price is definitely a consideration to you, but have you given some thought into going with an HD capable projector? There are several good choices in the sub-$3,000 range, depending on your throw distance requirements, and of course the screen size.

- Okay, so you have a subwoofer cable and an A/V cable. Unless you plan on hooking up a VCR or non-HD cable/satelite STB to this system, you probably won't be needing the A/V cable. You'll definitely want at least a couple of sets of component video cables (red/green/blue color-coded) for hooking up the DVD player and perhaps a HD capable set-top box. Considering that most sub-$3,000 projectors have a very limited number of video inputs, you'll almost definitely be switching your video through the A/V receiver and running a single component video cable from the receiver's monitor output to the video input on the projector.

- You'll need at least one cable to use for digital audio on the DVD player, whether it's coaxial (same thing as a "yellow" composite video cable) or optical. Your player will have either one or both of these output types. If you decide on HD capability, your set-top box will ideally want to output digital output to support 5.1 bitstreams on certain channels.

Hope this all helps.

3. joePhin

joePhin Auditioning

This is a newbie question... but which is better, coaxial or optical?

Thanks

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I would go with coaxial. It's cheaper, sturdier and has a more secure connection. There has been a ton of threads about which is better. If one is a little better than the other it would be un-noticeable with our level of equipment. Speaking of equipment, I would go with the yamaha 5940. It's only a few dollars more but I just think it is a better avr than the truly entry level 5930.

5. joePhin

joePhin Auditioning

Ok this iwll be the last question then.....the 5940 is a 6.1 system while the bose is a 5.1 system. This should not make a difference right? The connections will all still be the same correct?

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

You have to make sure you turn off the rear speaker when setting up the Yamaha. Every 6/7.1 receiver allows you to change it to a 5.1 somewhere in the setup.

7. joePhin

joePhin Auditioning

lol this is the LAST last question... but in order to connect the speakers to the receiver do I need any special kind of transformer or something similar? The cables that come from the subwoofer too the receiver, excluding the main subwoofer cable, are all very small, while the ports on the 5940 seem a lot bigger? Am I still ok the way I am?

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Most people recommend 14 or 12 guage speaker wire for the regular speakers. You can buy an item called "banana plugs" to make the connections, or just strip the end of the wire and screw down the connectors on top of the bared wire end.

9. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

No, you don't. The Bose "jewel cubes" themselves have spring-loaded wire terminations, so you can either just stick to plain 'ol bare wiring or go with "pin-style" terminations (a lot of manufacturers make these...). On the amplifier end, you can actually loosen the binding posts by unscrewing them a little and just stick the bare wire through them. Going with banana plug terminations wouldn't be a bad idea though for the amp side, because it prevents the wire from oxidizing on the end, as well as keeping strands from breaking off when plugging/unplugging wire.

For the subwoofer (or excuse me...."Acoustimass module"), there really isn't a separate sub wire because the box itself actually contains the crossovers for the speaker cubes. So you'll only have to worry about plugging in 5 wires. And again if you plan on hiding the speaker wires going from the cubes to the sub inside the walls, you'll likely need Bose's wiring harness kit. I believe they'll send you one for free if you're still under warranty, but I could be wrong.

Good luck!