What's new

My new home. help with setup (1 Viewer)

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Well 3 more months and I am going to be closing on my new house. So here is the question.
Where should I put my Theater system? Please remember 5.1 set-up is what I will be using, down the road I am sure 7.1 is my goal .
As of now I have worked up the floor plan that the theater system will be in the Family Room (17’x19').
I also have 2nd thoughts of it and kind of thinking that I would like the theater system in the Living room. I really do not need an dining room so maybe the pool table would work out great in the dining room and use some space off the living room area to make sure it works out (17x13 for a pool table area) I also always can move the chairs and sofa out of the way while playing pool. I was maybe thinking of an cinema of my own would be cool in this area . What do you guys think would be a better area to put my theater setup at?
Click here to view floor-plan.
http://www.gehanhomes.com/austin/fl..._mackenzie.html
Thanks all,
Mike

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
the link you provided is not working.

you should choose a room that will allow you the flexibility of layout for your speakers and gear.

what size tv are you going to have? that may influence which room you decide too.

i would choose a room that would allow the most flexible speaker positioning. somewhere where you can correctly put your rears (also considering the addition of the rear center) is always problematic.

also, consider which room can be darkened. a lot of times windows and doorways create too much light in the room. i guess this is a moot point if you only watch at night.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Ted,
Thank you for the imput. Here is the link that should work:
http://www.gehanhomes.com/austin/flo...mackenzie.html
If you look in the living room fron window,, that is where I will run my big screen HDTV. The whole dining and living area I plan on using as my theather room. I am thinking about running curtins where the area is open to the foyer area. I have no problem blocking out the sunlight with screens or blinds.
Thanks

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm...

it is as i feared. your home has a lot of open walls. that makes it tough.

if you're going to put your tv in the front room, then the only real place i can see you putting your rear speakers (assuming you're not using dipoles) is on the back wall of the dining room.

actually that may be kind of cool. you should have lots of room to play with your placement.

finally, as always, you'll need to experiment and move stuff around to find what works best for you.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Ted,
I was thinking the same as you. As for another place to put SAT speakers is where the foyer is (on the right) , the pillar in the middle between the open walls I can put an SAT there and then directly across to the other side I can put the other rear SAT speaker there too. But if I ever decide to go 7.1, the rear center might be a *&^%$,,, but then again I can always hook an speaker mount to the wall of the ceiling.
The only other place where I did plan to do my theather system was in the family room and by floor-plan I will be with the super attendant in 1 week at the home site to plot where I want my speaker wires set at, so I better make a decision quick. :frowning:
But thank you for your opinion.
Mike

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
whatever happens...good luck! looks like you'll have a pretty nice place regardless. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks