My new HK AVR 520 keeps shutting off automatically

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Waters, Apr 8, 2002.

1. John Waters

John Waters Auditioning

I just bought a brand-new Harmon Kardon AVR 520 receiver and I'm having the following problem: when I watch DVDs or listen to CDs, sometimes the receiver shuts off automatically, while the DVD or CD is playing (i.e., right in the middle of a movie). It doesn't do it all the time though: it did it 3 or 4 times while watching Starship Troopers (really annoying) but then didn't do it once while watching Face/Off the following night. Then I was watching satellite TV last night and I paused it for five minutes to do something, and it had shut off by the time I got back. The receiver's not hot, though, so any idea what's up?

Thanks,

John

2. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

check the SLEEP mode?..just a suggestion.

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I don't know much about the 520 in particular but a receiver or amp shutting down is usually some kind of protection circuitry. Were you playing it very loud or running a heck of a lot of speakers? You say the 520 wasn't very hot so maybe its not a load or volume problem.

Double check all your speaker connections and make sure there are no wires touching each other or the chassis itself(ground)

ps - always turn your receiver off when you plug-unplug cables.

4. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

I own the 510 and I haven't experienced any shut-off problems albeit the unit gets quite warm when I push it so please make sure that it is in a well ventalated area.

5. John Waters

John Waters Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestions so far. No, it's not in sleep mode. Even if it were, I think in sleep mode, it would do the shut down thing every time, as opposed to the once-in-a-while it does now.

I am running my standard 5 speakers + sub. It was loud, but not earth-shattering loud. I think the volume was at -25, but it could have gotten as low as -20 (can't remember). I'll check the speakers wires when I get home, but I was pretty careful when hooking them up, and yeah, i did all the hookups while the receiver was off.

Any other ideas?

6. Zack West

Zack West Extra

7. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

H/K has a toll free # (800) 336-4525 . They are always very helpfull. Im not sure about the new units but an overload shut down causes the indicator on the on switch to blink when in protect mode on the older models.

8. John Waters

John Waters Auditioning

Zack: The problem as described in the first link sounds like my problem, as mine shuts off anywhere from a couple minutes to 90 minutes later. How did you end up solving it?

--John

9. Zack West

Zack West Extra

John, I can't say that there is one specific thing I've done to resolve the issue, but I'm not 100% in the clear. After having the unit for nearly 2 weeks, the 320 shut off on me a couple dozen times. I got completely fed up and emailed the seller to exchange the unit. He gave me several suggestions to try, none of which worked, so I took it back and got another new one. The frequency of shutdowns went down a bit with this new unit, but they were still there. I disassembled my entire system and inspected everything. Cables were fine, inside wiring of my speakers were fine, placement was fine so heat wasn't an issue. What I did find was an issue with the electrical wiring in my house. The outlet my receiver was plugged into was wired to a switch and I think it wasn't getting enough power. That same outlet shared the same circuit as 4 other outlets. So I wired up the outlet direct, bypassing the switch, which seemed to help some. The only time my 320 shut off after that was when I cooked food in my oven. I discovered that when I had my oven on, it caused the receiver to shut off! I went ahead and rearragned my whole living room. Now my system is plugged into a 20amp outlet that shares its circuit with one other outlet that is not in use. It's been working great so far. I hope this helps and I wish you luck.

10. John Waters

John Waters Auditioning

Zack, thanks for the response. That is pretty weird, I have to say. So I guess it was solely a wiring thing? Did you ever notice any pattern with when it would shut down, like if you were listening to it using a particular input or above a particular volume? My fiancee claims it never shuts down on her, when she is watching tv on it (and this is for hours at a time, believe me.. [​IMG] ). So I am thinking maybe it doesn't like me personally. Also, I've noticed weird fluctuations as to when it acts nicely or decides to misbehave. Like, as I mentioned before, it didn't seem to want to watch starship troopers so it shut down, but had no problem with face/off (which is actually longer, and i was playing it almost as loud). I notice it only shut down once using the cd input, and i technically wasn't in the room to notice if the cd had already finished or not. i've never seen it go off in the middle of playing a cd, as it did with starship troopers. I guess i just need more time to test for more patterns and stuff.

11. Zack West

Zack West Extra

There were no patterns to it shutting off. It was purely random. Like you said, it could be anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours between it shutting down. Your experience is probably the 6th report I've seen on this issue. Try all troubleshooting possibilities, you might find something odd like I did.