My new HDTV RP saga from panny to toshi

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveD, Jul 24, 2001.

1. DaveD

DaveD Auditioning

Hello all. I first would like to say in the last month this site along with HTspot have been more helpful than any magazine or salesman has ever been for that I say thank you.
    I purchased a Panny 47" last week. First let me say I am in no way dissing the Panasonic television I may have just had a bad experience.
    Ok I have had my panny since Monday the 16th and been a stressful week. I may get a little long winded but this has become a saga of murphys law if I have ever seen one.
    7/16, The set arrives at 2pm 2 hours early hoorahh. The delivery guys plug it make sure it works and they are off. 1st impressions are an indirectly sunlit room viewing angle is only good at couch level and center and slightly off axis Ie' couch and loveseat.
    This concerned me because the one I saw in CC looked much brighter even after I turned picture setting down to about 30%. In fact in day light standing the set was unwatchable. Is this normal for this set?
    1st calibration done is both convergences, when doing convergence 1 I notice the set frame is not a perfect rectangle? The outer bottom edges seem to droop a little hmmm 2000 bucks I would of expected better quality here. This the makes me do an inspection of the set for cosmetic reasons and upon doing this I notice 2 more problems.
    1. The top joining point is warped on both sides and on the left side I can see inside the televion through the seem. 2. The right side looks looks as if the plastic was forced together thus making the side joining point uneven.
    Ok so I set up Video essentials and start the calibrations of the set. 1st I notice the black level hold is exellent, but when I get to the color adjustments I find the red push. Know I understand what it is and I dont like it. So i reduce the color settings to get rid of the orange color bar and get it closer to yellow. On to contrast. I go through the entire range and I cannot make the bar bend, however while doing this I look at the pattern and find the overscan is more than 10 percent off.
    Does anyone know how to fix this?
    At around 11oclock I play some movies and I am happy with the quality of overall picture, but notice in lower right corner I get a blooming of blue color on certain scenes.
    So day one 2 major problems exposed 1, Ten %overscan, and blue glow in lower corner.
    7/17 Fiance complains about how dark the picture is daytime. So I go to CC and look at there display set in showroom and it looks watchable to me. I purchase the AVIA disc at Media Play.
    7/18 I go back to Sears where it was purchased and expressed my concerns to my salesman. He suggests I call in for service.
    The salesmen allays my concerns and tells me this happens sometimes,he expains an expert will hook a laptop up and a full 100 point convergence and diagnostics. I expept this option and place my service call when doing this I explain all the problems that I am having clarifying I need an expert to look at my set. An appointment is set for Saturday. Keep in mind know sears does not even have a pt49 on display.
    7/19 Protective screen arrives from Panasonic. I wait to attach this until Saturday when the tech arrives. No more adjustments are made to set I wait patiently.
    I watch the Abyss that evening and notice I had to set to zoom for full aspect. No biggie not anamorphic but notice slight grain
    to over all picture.
    7/21 Tech arrives 1 hour early. Ok here is when the sad comedy begins. The technician asks me as to the problems I am having. This should of been the 1st red flag as I explained all this to the dispatch. I then explain all the problems that I had listed on a piece of paper. The technician looks at me like I have 6 heads or something 2nd red flag. The tech now kneels in front of my set and plays with the user settings (yes user settings) for about 10 minutes. I then explain I have done all that already and ask him does he have a laptop or calibration disc. He says and I quote "whuuuuuuuut I dont have a computer red flag 3.
    At this point this guy pulls the front cover and exposes a bunch of pots and starts turning and tweaking I assume he is focusing the guns. This is when I get real worried and explain to the guy the blooming and overscan. I then turn on toy story 2s optimode to quickly show him this. He explains he cannot do anything about this. At this point. I am pretty streamed by know and tell the guy this needs to be resolved or you have to call someone to pick this tv up. He then says we dont do that you have to call your salesmen. At this point he politely leaves my home.
    I then notice that the set know looks worse then when I calibrated it. I call the service department and start venting on them because at 7pm I am having family over to view a movie and the set looks worse than it ever did. I called back my salesman and arranged for another one to be delivered on August the 8th. Apparently I got one before the Sears stores in Atlanta received theirs.
    If mine was the only one I wonder if it was a pre release model? Well know I have to wait another 3 weeks for Sears to deliver me another panny 47. I may go on and look at the new toshiba 50 inch while I am waiting.
    My understanding is they have a brighter picture and a wider viewing angle.

2. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

I had a Panasonic 56" that I was completely happy with until it failed. It wasn't until I replaced it with a Mitsubishi 65807 (contrast at 33%) that I realized how dark the Panasonic (even w/contrast at 100%) was in comparison. I don't know how Toshiba compares.
    Regarding the protective screens, I have found that you are better without them. The picture is darkened and reflections are very annoying.

3. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I have a Panasonic 47 on the way, due early August. The two I saw in the store (one at Sears, other at CC) both look very good, once I adjusted them out of torch mode. They had a very nice, bright picture. I have talked with owners of this set and they are all happy campers.
    I think you got an abused set. A lemon. Now, I will most certainly inspect mine from top to bottom before I let the service people go. That is for damn sure. ANYTHING that looks wrong will cause me to say, Sorry, put it back in the truck. I did that with my Wega last year after they hauled all 225 lbs of it up the stairs to my pad. When they pulled the wrap off, it had scratches and a small crack in the back. Those guys wanted to kill me, but F them. It was my 2 grand.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

4. DaveD

DaveD Auditioning

To update my story. I have decided on the Toshiba 50" model. It will be here on August 8th when they pick up the panasonic. Good luck with all who purchase this set I think if I got a direct replacement it would be in the back of mind the picture imperfections from the 1st one. I am better off starting fresh and I am hearing lots of good stuff on the new toshibas.