My new HD Panasonic 47WX53 just made a "Snap Pop " sound?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Beau B, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Hello, I have had this T.V. for a week and tonight it made a snap pop sound and flicker flashed the picture. It looks like it made the screen a little lighter when this happened.

Is this normal for a new set or cause for alarm?

Thanks , Beau

2. Gene S

Gene S Agent

Beau,

I suggest you go to this site. Its dedicated to Pannys HD sets.
    Some great information there including a small forum.

Look at the "Known Tweaks" area, and then this a section for the "Evil Pop"

Gene

3. Kimi-R

Kimi-R Agent

A piece of dust or other debris probably fell onto the grid inside of one of the CRT's and got zapped. This has happened to me. No big deal [​IMG]

4. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

If you notice a big difference in your colors, like a red, green, or blue tint, the guns needs to be adjusted. You can call Panny and they will refer you to a local tech and they should come out and adjust the guns under warranty.

Have you had a chance to calibrate the set with Avia or some other disc?

5. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

No I have not used any set up disc. I used a THX opt. disc from Monsters Inc, but not as good as I want it.

Do any Brick and Morter stores carry such a set up disc.

My set is only a week old. I did not think anything this bad would happen for quite a while.

Thanks for all the info.

Beau

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Don't be too concern. Your TV is brand new and like a new car, it needs to be broken in. Just make sure to turn down the contrast.

You can find Avia online, like on Amazon or even Ebay. You don't have to calibrate the tv right away, but at some point you will want to.

You won't know any difference (at least I don't) with cable or even digital cable. You will see the TV shine with HD materials and DVD's.

7. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Beau,
    Did the colors go out of whack after the "pop", or are they ok now? And just out of curiosity, do you have a center speaker on top of your television?

8. Kimi-R

Kimi-R Agent

Beau B, this isn't "bad". It is quite normal for "new" RPTV's to do this because the CRT's are facing up (gravity causes debris inside the CRT to fall down onto the electrode grid and get zapped). Nothing to worry about.

9. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the color went out of wack. It is the Brick Red color that it went to. All my reds are really red. If I change the channel the tv backround stays Brick red in color until the channel loads up again from the Sat Dish.

Yes I have my center speaker on top of the tv.
    It is a JBL S center II.

Beau

10. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

Hey Beau, when you turn to Headline News or CNN does the black news box on the bottom line up from left to right? Mine is off center a little, and I'm wondering if I should call Panasonic or not, sounds like its hard to fix (already discussed in another thread I started)...just curious, because I just got my 47wx53 Tuesday and you got yours last week.

Thanks,

Andy

11. Larry Sutliff

Beau,
    I would try to get a technician to fix the set ASAP. Call Panny customer service, or the store you purchased it from.

Personally, I won't put a center speaker on this television. I think the vibrations from the speaker may not be good for the set, and the set doesn't look like it can handle a very heavy center speaker. I'm no expert, but I'm wondering if all of the people who have had the "pop" had their center speaker on top of the television.

12. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

If you are looking for a stand for the center channel, go here

My TV pooped without anything on top of the tv.

13. Larry Sutliff

Thanks for the link to the stand, Tim.

How long did it take for your set to do the pop? I've had mine for over two weeks and it hasn't happened yet(knocking on wood as I type).

14. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Larry,

Search for my name on the board and you will get the complete history of my TV lows [​IMG] I have last year model and after 9 months the set is working great.

As for the center channel, I have studio monitor on top of my set and it doesn't effect the tv.

I wouldn't be too concern.

15. Larry Sutliff

Thanks, Tim!

16. Paul.Little

Paul.Little Stunt Coordinator

17. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Beau,

Sounds like the "evil pop" just as Gene mentioned in the first response.

You can either fix it yourself w/ instructions from that site Gene mentioned or get a Panny tech to fix it for you. Which way to go really depends on how handy you are at tweaking things unless you have a good Panny tech in your area. And before you attempt to do this yourself, you should make sure you understand what you're doing and also get a good setup disc like AVIA to help out w/ test patterns (and for proper calibration of your TV).

FYI, seems like Panny RPTVs are more susceptible to this "evil pop" than other RPTVs, but not all of them will get this. My 10-month-old 53wx42 hasn't (yet).

_Man_

18. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy Tech is stopping buy on Sat. morning.

Panny said to call them since they service their goods as well and that the Panny tech was over an hour away anyway.

Is there anything that I should have him do while he is here?

Beau

19. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    You should go buy the AVIA or Sound & Vision setup disc and use the various grey Field patterns to verify that the greyscale is set back to normal. You should at least check one low IRE Field (maybe 30 IRE) and one high IRE Field (maybe 70 IRE) to verify that the TV is reproducing greys correctly, instead of the red tint/cast you described.

Of course, I'd also recommend going through the setup disc's tutorial for basic calibration to get the most out of your RPTV.

_Man_

20. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Beau,

What is the latest on your Panny? Did BB come over and resolved the problem?