My new front custom cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by David K., Jul 1, 2004.

1. David K.

David K. Second Unit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im pretty happy with the outcome, though the wire loom tube does not keep shape under heat shrink, its really tough to make it perfect.

I made a second pair to auction off on ebay as an experiment, how much do you think they should sell for?

2. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

The split loom tubing really doesn't serve any purpose. In my opinion, it would look just as clean only using the shrink wrap to tidy up the ends of the TechFlex. Plus it makes for a 3-4" section of the wire which is pretty inflexible, which could pose a problem in certain installs. Other than that they look nice, but what are the raw materials? I personally wouldn't buy them unless I knew, but the typical Ebayer may not care.

-Dave

3. David K.

David K. Second Unit

Canare 4s11 star quad.
    underneath the loom the split is already adhesive heat shrinked.
    but i personally think its unsightly or rather cheap looking. so the loom manages the aesthetic portion.

these are the prices of the materials and their costs including shipping them to my house

canare - $20

adhesive heat shrink
    3-1 one pack of 3 x 6" 19mm
    3-1 one pack of 4 x 6" 12mm - $15

4 pairs of vampire wire plugs $50

techflex 25ft pack $15
    ----------------------------------------------------
    total cost $100

that does not include the cost of the High powered heat gun & attachments, Hot knife, wire cutter/stripper, heavy duty scissors, or trial and error costs.

or the fees required to set up the auction

and I dont buy anything in bulk so i end up paying regular price.

each cable takes me roughly 1.5 hours, 3hrs/pair to construct, im really anal about building them since one mistake and ruin the cable and takes much longer to fix.
    the termination and lead dressing is what takes the most time.

this like my 6th or 7th pair ive made already, i want to sell one pair to makes some money back, at first it was a diy project to save money, but since then ive gone far beyond my intended budget.. over $500.

so I'm wondering how much theyd go for. Theres one guy on ebay, that just cuts the jacket off and uses generic bulk bananas on naked conductors and sells it for $85, and he sells a lot. It must take 15-20 minutes to screw on self crimping plugs and cost$30 to make, he then sells it for $85!!!

4. Yi Yin

Yi Yin Extra

I would include reference to all the quality parts in your ebay auction. Most buyers there either go for the cheaper 4s11 alternatives like the one you mentioned or name brand crap. just my 2 cents.

Yi

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Try and find someone on ebay who is making something similar to yours and price it accordingly. While I appreciate that you value your time, after dropping over $500, I'd be looking to just try and get some of the money back. No offence, but there's nothing special about the wire or for that matter any of the speaker wires that are out there.

6. David K.

David K. Second Unit