What's new

My new favourite packaging for SA-CD's (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The two latest releases from the Eighty Eight's label, Marlena Shaw's LOOKIN' FOR LOVE and The Great Jazz Trio's SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME, come in vinyl record style fold-out jackets. The disc itself has a little cotton-paper sleeve. Along side it is a little booklet too. I like Digipacks as long as the spindle is not broken, which seems inevitable in the end, eh? I like the Super Jewel cases alot but record style sleeves have advantages. The sleeve is maximum protection and the jacket is a wee bit thinner than Jewels. The thin size could mean that I could squeez more discs per shelf and that's appealing to me.

...and I just like the look of little records!:emoji_thumbsup:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Excellent packaging and I know we can count on 88s for great sonics as well. I can't wait to get these.

This reminds me of the Red Trumpet jazz import mini-LPs where the vinyl version liner notes are replicated and they use a thin plastic sleeve just like the old days.

:emoji_thumbsup: Thanks for the heads up Rachael.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I've got some mini-LP style CDs (Simple Minds, King Crimson), and I don't like them. It's a pain to try to slide the disc in and out of the paper-like liner & then the cardboard sleeve itself. Then, the plastic outer baggie thingy is hard to keep open when opening, & hard to seal when closing (the adhesive gets stuck to my fingers, or the other way around). Of course, it's probably just because I'm a clumsy oaf.

I prefer the super-jewel cases.

Doug

Edit: It's even harder after a few gin 'n' tonics (or should that be gins 'n' tonic? I've always wondered).

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Doug, these are a little bit thicker than most of those little album type thingies you've likely had. I have some of those too. It is easier to get the disc in and out of these.

Larry, I didn't get that one. I'll try to eyeball it at Busted Buy.

Guyz, I 'll have a review of Marlena Shaw soon.:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Doug, I bought a copy of Neil Young today. Neil's little album is thicker and would take up more shelf space. Also, it doesn't come with the resealable (Japanese style) clear plastic wrapper. The cotton-paper inner sleeve that 88's has seems better than the paper in Neil's.

BTW, guyz!...Marlena Shaw came with a 8 cm (about 3") sampler with 2 cuts off her album and 2 cuts of The Great Jazz Trio. It's a CD not a sack-dee though. Even the sampler has a cotton-paper inner sleeve!

If you really want to see the most outrageous SA-CD packaging ever, you have to see what the Jeremy Monteiro Trio's A SONG FOR YOU KAREN comes in. It looks like a Valentine Day present! It would be good for that!

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Tom, I assume you mean that, when drinking scotch or other whisky, the brain turns to mush. Whereas, gin drinkers can still ponder the deep questions of our time, such as how to pluralize gin and tonic, or how Heisenberg's uncertainty principle applies to my bowling (non-)skills. :)

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks