What's new

My New Favorite Super Audio is... (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
So by Peter Gabriel :emoji_thumbsup:

This albums brings back memories and opens up the recording to detail I have never heard before, even on the remastered redbook.

Sledgehammer just swings with great defined bass.

Kate Bush's vocals on Don't Give Up are superbly rendered in her very special breathy quality.

The percussion on In Your Eyes is beautiful as are the special backing vocals.

The bass is so much better defined on the Laurie Anderson collaboration.

If I had to sum up with one word it would be presence, these performers just seem to inhabit my listening room.

If you like Peter Gabriel, this is a must purchase. :)

Next Purchase Up: the pure DSD AK/Union Station Live SACDs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, do you have any of the other Gabriel SACDs? Some have said that So is one of the worst-sounding of the Gabriel SACDs, as they think it is harsh or "digital". They have attributed this to the sound of the master. What do you think? I have the remastered CD and find it to be harsh and thin. I have the same issues with tracks from So on the Shaking the Tree SACD. Is the So SACD really that much better?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I thought this SACD was an improvement over the remastered red book disc, but nothing earth shattering. Bass was improved, but the midrange was lacking. Very digital sounding overall. Definitely worth a buy if you are a Gabriel fan though.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Justin, thanks. So will probably be among the next Gabriel SACDs I buy since I love the album, but I am not expecting miracles with the sound.

Lin Park

Second Unit
Lee,

You will absolutely love that AK + Union Station Live SACD. I picked it up the other day at BB and the sound is to die for - the music and performance ain't bad either. ;)

Lin

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
My new favourite is Doc Powell's 97th & COLUMBUS. All DSD, decent M/C, superb stereo track, a hybrid. I got SHAKING THE TREE and the sonics are nothing to get excited about. I got out a 12" single of SLEDGEHAMMER and it sounded like a hi-rez source. SLEDGEHAMMER on the SACD sounded pale, no anemic, in comparrison. I'm getting kind'a skeptical of Universal releases....

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
My new favourite is Doc Powell's 97th & COLUMBUS. All DSD, decent M/C, superb stereo track, a hybrid.
Thanks Rachael - just added it to my list to look out for. I did think Sledgehammer was awesome on the SACD, though.

I would classify the So sonics about middle of the pack for my collection (around 150) of SACDs so far.

:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, thanks for the comments. I will be picking up the other Gabriel SACDs eventually.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I just listened to his first album on SACD and I wasn't really impressed. Maybe it's because I thought the production of that album was always a bit muddled, but it just didn't do anything special for me.

I also have the 2nd and 3rd and definitely want to get So at some point, I just hope it has more to offer than this.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Any opinion on how Solsbury Hill on SACD compares to the redbook?
None, really, and that's the problem. Maybe the guitar is a little more crisp. I dunno, maybe I need to listen more closely, but on the really great SACDs, the differences are instant and clear.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Or it could be a difficult master tape issue...
If I had to guess, I think this may play a part. Like I said, the production on his first album was always a little to muddy for my taste.

The second album seems a bit better to me, but I'm not A/Bing them to the redbooks, just going from memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks