My new favorite pop Super Audio CD is...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    ...Ryan Adams' GOLD. It's a nice album and the stereo sonics are terrific. It has a 5.1 track but I haven't listened to it, yet. I will eventually. From the opening cut NEW YORK NEW YORK (his own song, not a cover, it's a famous title, eh?) to the last one, #16, his anthem, GOODNIGHT HOLLYWOOD BLVD, which is an instant classic in my book, this is an entertaining album. It's very retro sounding. It sounds like an album that could of come out in, say, 1974. Only the better recording gives it away.
    FIRECRACKER sounds very "Dylan Like" with it's harmonica part. It sounds out of the BLONDE ON BLONDE mold. ANSWERING BELL's intro is lifted from The Bands's THE WEIGHT but the song itself is original enough and pretty good.

Most of the songs feature Ryan on his acoustic guitar and some of the more electric ones have other guitarists slinging electrified notes too. At times Ryan might reminds one of a young Neil Young, like on SYLVIA PLATH or WILD FLOWERS where he sings in a rather nasal fashion.

ENEMY FIRE is one of my favorite cuts. Ryan dons an electric guitar for this one. It rocks. Another love gone wrong song.... TINA TOLEDO'S STREET WALKIN' BLUES owes something to the Rolling Stones but it's one of the album's best cuts, me thinks. It's another real rocker.

I really, really like GOODNIGHT HOLLYWOOD BLVD, the album's last cut. It's an anthem to life in the music business from Ryan's perspective. I like his perspective.

The only bad thing about this Universal release is that it's not a hybrid disc....

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Yes Rachael, this is a great SACD. The 5.1 channel mix is pretty good, although not exactly to my taste. There are a couple of cuts where they could have cut the rears down about 2db or so and I would be much happier, but it is certain to be to most people's liking.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil and Rachael, thanks for the reviews. I saw this SACD at Best Buy the other day but passed on it. Perhaps I'll go back and grab it. I'm very glad to see that Best Buy has the Universal SACDs, even if the store I was in did have them with the DVD-Audio discs. [​IMG] I went there looking for the Coltrane A Love Supreme SACD, but they didn't have it. I walked out with Diana Krall When I look in your eyes, which is great. [​IMG]

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I completely agree as I have stated before in some other threads. This is one terrific SACD.
    [​IMG]

5. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

OK, once again you people have cost me some more money[​IMG] Today I go to Best Buy with gift certs in hand to buy DVDA titles to try on my new player and I find this sacd for 14.99. I remembered Rachael's post and I swiped it up. I have it in now and yes Neil Young and Dylan do come to mind! Thanks all!

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Sorry about costing you $ Dan! Lee, I bought it partly because you said it was OK and partly because I wanted to sample some of the Universal releases. Outside of the dreadful Quincy Jones disc, I've satisfied with the sound on the Universal discs. Keith, You need this album. It's a good'un! Phil, I don't have my theatre set-up right now due to lack of a display...[​IMG] ...it's too muddy to carry a 375 lb. set around back to the door it will fit through. All my listening is stereo till I get up and running in the HT. Generally, I want very ambient sides. I detest gimmickry. I'll give it a M/C spin eventually. Best wishes fer thuh nuu yarr kats!

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Rachael, I don't like gimmickry either. The Ryan Adams disc is not bad but they could have gone a little lighter on a couple of cuts in the rears. Most people will like it. If I can hear the rears as a separate source vs. enchancing the musical experience and three dimensionality of the front (like "New Favorite," "Kind of Blue," "Blue Country Heart," etc.) I most often prefer the 2-channel. Rachael, I know what carrying a big heavy set is like. I am slowly doing my basement (hopefully by the end of 2003 it will be done) and helped carry my old Pioneer Elite analog TV out the walk out basement and up the hill. Then after I wired for the front proj. in the main room, I helped carry my 346 lb. TV down where it is sitting and when the basement is done it will be sitting in a recessed area on a platform about 10 inches high so I'll have to lift it again. Thank goodness for the 20lb. front proj. It don't get easier to move them and I am not getting younger either.

8. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

I guess I'm torn between my Bangles SACD and my Cyndi Lauper SACD as favorites.

Journey was kind of a let down, and while my import of WHAM is good, I usually demo my Bangles disc.

9. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I'll second the Bangles disc

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Guys, the Bangles is a very good disc but it's not new anymore. Get Ryan Adams so you have somethin' new to play after the Bangles' last cut ends.[​IMG]

11. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Nah, waiting for Norah Jones........ooooh, "Don't Know Why" sends tingles up my spine [​IMG]

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Brian, I've heard Norah Jones. I like her but I'm not as taken as you. What's happening with the a-Muse-ing discs? Happy new year!

13. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

14. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

15. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Ah nothing happening in MUSE land right now....it's all about D-VHS. But that's another thread.

Oh, some Fish discs from NEC (MUSE)!

16. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Brian, I'll send you an a-Musing e-mail sometime soon. Happy new year!

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Beck's "SEA CHANGE" has been monopolizing my player for the past week - unbelievably good sonics and (IMO) Beck's best album yet. Not much like any of his previous efforts. Utterly sincere and without a wink in sight, it's like Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" orchestrated by Brian Eno (circa "Another Green World"). Heavy strains of Radiohead are also present (same producer?). My wife considers it "sorta pink floydish" and always notes that the chord changes to "The Golden Age" sound alot like that 4 Non Blondes song.

And, oh yes, the multichannel mix is the way to go - almost seems tailor-made for multichannel.

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee