My new DIY A/V rack

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ron-P, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Due to vibration issues with my gear inside the HT I finally got it all out. Over the past week I built this on the exterior side of the HT with all materials I had at home for other projects, all the parts did come from Home Depot. Here are the pics from start to finish.

I had these racks from left over from when I first built my HT. Each shelf can support 250lbs. It's screwed into the studs of the HT with 4" deck screws. I also installed a 20amp dedicated line off the main house breaker for power.
    [​IMG]

The shelving is decoupled from the HT using a neoprene washer and a flat cut washer. This helps dramatically reduce vibrations.
    [​IMG]

I started to install the shelf brackets and shelving. I also installed 3 1" diameter holes to the inside of the HT for all the cabling and wires. I used schedule 40 PVC.
    [​IMG]

Each shelf is also decoupled from the bracket using flat cut washers.
    [​IMG]

A rough layout of the interior.
    [​IMG]

The finished product.
    [​IMG]

Everything in it's place. I am using the leapfrog RF system to control the geare from inside the HT.
    [​IMG]

An access door in the back provides all the room I need to access all the connections.
    [​IMG]

Needless to say that this thing is so well isolated from the HT that vibrations and cooling is no longer an issue.

2. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

Sweet! I like the PVC pipes for the cables. Very good idea. Leapfrog RF? Never heard of it. Does it work well? Is it expensive?

Don

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks Don. Yes, the Leapfrog works great and right now at Amazon you can land it for $25.

4. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

I second the leapfrog. i use it too, actually I use 2 of em, one for the HTR and one for the living room upstairs. both work without a hitch pointing to the same A/V rack

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

inside the box doesnt need circulation?

looks like it could get hot i there if it is closed while in service.

link to the leapfrog item?