My new Diva's + HSU are on the way!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John ODonnell, Mar 21, 2002.

1. John ODonnell

My order:
    2x 6.1's
    2x R3's
    1x C3
    1x HSU VTF-2
    However, I wanted to also upgrade my speaker wiring. I have decided to go with BetterCables (http://www.bettercables.com/premspeakcab.html), but, when i go to the website, it says: "********NEW SPEAKER CABLES COMING SOON!!".
    Does anyone know what this means? Are they back-ordered, or, are they coming out with a new model?
    John

2. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

John, congrats to your Diva/Hsu purchase. Have you considered ordering Onix speaker cables from AV123 given the additional discount you'll get by ordering the Diva's? May be other users will chime in soon.[​IMG]
    PF

3. John ODonnell

Thanks PomingF!!!
    I would luv ANY of the Onix cables. Unfortunately it is not in the budget right now. At very best I may be able to afford the SP-200 speaker cable from Onix. So, the obvious question...BetterCables premium speaker cable or Onix SP-200? Any suggestions are welcome!
    I had to slip my fiance a couple of rufies just to get her to agree to the Divas! I don't dare press my luck! [​IMG]
    John

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Congrats, John! Those 6.1's seem to be very nice, as well as the HSU (just what the good doktor ordered [​IMG] ). Enjoy!

5. John ODonnell

Thanks Bob!!! [​IMG]

6. John ODonnell

One thing I really need to add...
    Dealing with av123.com (namely Russell) has been an absolute delight!!! If anyone has been on the fence about any of av123's products, I sincerely suggest that you at least call them. It VERY, VERY hard nowadays to find the level of integrity and dedication to customer satisfaction that I have witnessed in my dealings with them. I cannot stress this enough!!!!
    My hat is off to the personnel of AV123 (especially Russell) who have been quick to answer every question in a timely and pleasant manner!
    Thanks guys!
    John
    PS. Now if I can just swing a deal with them for some kick-ass Onix cables!!! [​IMG]

7. John ODonnell

OK...now I feel like I should commit myself to an asylum because I keep replying to myself! [​IMG]
    I have another question...
    I am replacig Infinity Minuette surround package with teh Diva surround package described above. I also have a new Denon AVR-4802. Should I set the fronts and/or rears to "large" where I had them set to "small" with my Infinity's?
    Thanks,
    John

8. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

My Diva's are singing happily with non-descript 12awg stuff from Home Depot and AR I/C's from Best Buy, but they're not the prettiest faces in the room. I'm sure either the Onix or Better Cables would be a super fine choice as well.
    If it's possible, I'd start by front corner loading the Hsu and running all the speakers as "small". Chances are very good that you'll get the flattest freq. response from the most room positions that way, but some time with a calibration disc (Avia is a good multipurpose disc) and a Rat Shack SPL meter will let you know for sure. Scroll down this thread to Brian Florian's comments on this issue. He does a nice job with this.

9. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

John, like Walt I only use generic 12g cables on mine. I suggest you use whatever cables you have now on the Diva's to break them in while trying to decide on what you eventually want to use. In the mean time do a search on this forum for user MarkLS and PM or e-mail him your question to see if he can help you come up with something special. [​IMG]
    Btw, have you consider using generic cables on the surrounds or even the center so to get higher quality ones for the mains?
    Enjoy the Diva's.
    PF

10. John ODonnell

Thanks PF. From reading other posts, it is my understanding that a higher quality cable should be used for the center channel first (especially in HT).

As far as the generic Home Deport 12g wire...how does it stack up with the better cables?

John

11. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

I made a pair of bi-amp cables out of 12-gauge wire, banana plugs and some black casing to hold the double cables together.
    BTW, now that you're a Diva owner I would recommend that you consider signing up to allow other would-be buyers visit you for an audition. Click HERE for details
    --Steve

12. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Hey Steve, I know someone who did that and used this stuff to wrap it with. It comes in different colors. With some heat shrink tubing near the paired ends and some nice spades it ended up looking very "high-end".[​IMG]

13. John ODonnell

Steve, I will definitely do that! I bought the Diva's strictly on good reviews (I know...a cardinal sin). I will absolutely want to afford someone the opportunity to listen before they buy. I'm sure it will make their decision easy!

John

14. Russell W

Russell W Agent

John,
    Thanks so much for your kind words. I gotta tell you It's real easy to serve customers like yourself. We're having a blast over here and are so grateful to have so much support from people like yourself.
    Let us all in on your impressions once you get them. Their on the way!
    Thanks again,
    Russell Woolfolk
    [email protected]
    877 543-7500 x402

15. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

John,

Forgive me if someone already pointed this out; You get a nice discount on the Onix cables when you buy some Divas...

Sean

16. John ODonnell

Is that right Sean! I just got word that my new babies arrive today! That is friggin unbelievable! They shipped out on Friday and will be here on Tuesday...all the way from Denver to Philly.
    But I am still without good cables [​IMG]
    Be expecting a phone call Russell! [​IMG]
    Thanks for the advice Sean!
    John

17. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

That's fast.
    Don't forget to break them in good

18. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Those SP100 cables are cool looking, and kinda match the Diva veneer.

Hey Russell, do they make the SP100 in a bi wire cable?

Russ

19. John ODonnell

BTW guys...I just got off the phone with Russel. He gave me a sweet deal on Onix cables all around:
    2x 8m SP300 (Rears)
    1x 3m SP300 (Center)
    2x 3.75m Thunder (Fronts)
    All terminated with high-end bananas.
    I would post the costs...but I don't want to get Russell in trouble! [​IMG]
    Sean: I love your homemade entertainment center! Very sweet! I fully intend to break the speakers in correctly...thanks for the advice!
    Russell_T: According to Russell (AV123) they do not make biwire. They have you buy 2x the SP100 and terminate it to your liking (ie. 4 connex at both ends).
    John

20. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Thanks John,

Sorry to hear about the C3.,

Any chance of a PM on those Onix prices?