My new bike

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrej Dolenc, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

After spending all summer on rollerblades, I decided I needed something else for variety. Having tried mountain biking and liking it, figured it was time for me to get me a bike. No banana seats here, it's a 2001 Klein Attitude:
    See my bike!
    Kick ass frame with decent components to get started with. Can't wait for the 4 day weekend coming up so I can go ride (the bike is a bit too clean!).
    So, any advice for starting out? Besides 'Expect to fall' [​IMG]
    Andrej

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I'd definitely recommend a helmet, even if you you think they make you look like a "dork." I wouldn't ride my bike without one. I must say I bought my bike a year ago for the same reason you did...for the sake of variety. However, I found I still like going out on the 'blades a lot more. Must be the hockey player in me. [​IMG]
    Anyone interested in a barely used year-old Trek? [​IMG]

3. Andrej Dolenc

I have to wear a helmet for all of my inline races so that's not an issue. At first I thought it looked weird & I did kind of feel like a dork, now I won't skate without it.

Andrej

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey Andrej, my sister too got a used Trek Attitude, it's kind of orangy-red in color and really small (she's like 5'1").

As far as tips, MTB'ing is all a sense of balance and gears. Balance will help you with steering and control and gearing is always important, especially with going up hills and loose terrain. Shift down before the hill as it's easier and better on the components than when you are grinding up a hill putting alot of pressure on the drivetrain. You'll find that alot of times if you spin out on a loose uphill, it's over, unless you are XP'ed enough to get a good balance of being the right position on the bike and in the right gear.

That comes mostly be experience. Different people have different styles but when I get to a loose gravelly uphill, I'll ship down into the granny and try to spin up the hill, putting the least amount of torque on the pedals to get up, too much and you just loose traction no matter how much pressure you put on the rear wheels. Things like that you learn through experience and time. Clipless pedals help immensely but usually most people wait a bit before going over to clipless pedals.

Riding the fall is an exercise in leaf management!! Constantly getting leaves in the brake arches, loud as hell, but I guess it scares away the hunters... Which, I'll remind you to be careful this time of year, wear something bright and orange and stay out of hunting areas near you.

Any other kind of tips, just yell... Good luck with it, and keep the rubber side down!

Jay

5. Andrej Dolenc

I'm diving in full tilt - clipless pedals. They came on the bike so figure why not use 'em. Well, OK, I could use the little plastic dealies that clip into the pedals and turn the pedal into a platform pedal, but I'm not gonna do that.

Definitely thanks for the heads up on the clothing & be visible. Got a jersey that's good and bright.

Andrej

6. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Nice bike! Looks like fun.

Good call on the pedals, I wouldn't ride without 'em.

I don't know how you would do this, but be careful of your collarbone. I thought people were trying to be dramatic when they told me that everyone breaks their collarbone after they start riding... until I went over the handlebars one day and actually felt mine flex. Ouch! Still intact though.

Enjoy the trails!

7. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

That's not a bike...
    [​IMG]
    Now THAT's a bike.
    Nice Klien... should give you years of pleasure... if you can supress the upgrade bug! At close to 5 years old my bike it still going strong... it's built like a tank!

8. Andrej Dolenc

I'm sure I will be upgrading pieces along the way. I figure as I'm learning I'll bust a few of the components, so upgrade then as appropriate. My primary concern was to get a great frame that will last, worry less about the rest.

Andrej

9. Ray R

Ray R Stunt Coordinator

Nice bike. Warning: Mountain biking can be just as addictive as the home theater hobby. [​IMG] This past summer I had many enjoyable Sundays that consisted of a 2 hour ride, steak on the grill and topped off with beer and a movie. Now that's living.
    my bike page

10. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Oh.. BTW... the only thing stock on my bike are the seat post, the saddle, and the seat post binder. Everything else is aftermarket!

11. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Andrej,
    Great bike!
    Gets some bar ends, and not the kind Jin has on his bike, those are for road bikes and you dont need the extra weight.
    Yup, make sure you wear a helmet, it wont protect you from all injury, but at least your head is safer.
    My buddy just fell a couple weeks ago. Fractured 3 ribs, collar bone, and hand [​IMG]
    Hes doin better [​IMG]

12. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

13. Andrej Dolenc

I was planning on getting some bar ends, but wanted to look at what was out there, try out what some of my buddies are using as well. Get an idea if I want just a straight bar end, something curved, one of those stubby ones with the contoured grip for your palm, etc etc. I'll get there...

First things first, take it off road and get it dirty over the holidays!

Andrej

14. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Dont get bar ends. Get riser bars. You'll like it a lot better. And I've heard that if you have both you'll be laughed at.

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    re: bar ends vrs riser bars
    I have a hardtail that has barends and a full suspension bike that has riser bars so this is my opinion on both.
    I presume the Klein came with flat bars since it's a hardtail XC bike but I suggest you go out and ride it for awhile before you decide what to do. I personally prefer barends and a flat bar after riding with the riser bars (Easton Monkey Lite carbons risers) on my FS Santa Cruz. I think the bar ends are better when climbing than riser bars and better when motoring. I find the riser bars good for both but not better than bar ends when climbing or flat bars when motoring so it seems to be a compromise between the two. What it does seem to do is generally make the handling of the bike a bit faster and more "twitchy" sort of like shortening your stem a few centimeters.
    Also, when I'm climbing really steep hills, I like to lean down into the bike to keep the weight down and the front wheel from popping and the riser bars makes that not as comfy. Going downhill, the riser bars help a bit as it is a bit easier to reach when you're wayyy back in the saddle.
    So, after a bunch of rides, you can figure out what's best for you, but I would stick with flat bars and barends at first. Or if you're like Jin and worried about catching branchs and stuff, you can get those short stubby ones. [​IMG]
    Jay

16. Andrej Dolenc

Great info, this is why I love this forum!

Good thing I'm at home and can run down to check out the bike before replying!

Jay is right on the money, it is a flat bar, not a riser. It does look like it has a little angle bend to it, but it doesn't rise up like riser bars tend to. With how the bike felt riding so far, I don't think I would want to go with a riser bar as that would mess up the riding position which I'm extremely happy with so far. Big reason why I went with the Attitude instead of the Attitude Comp - the Attitude has a seat post that's slightly offset to the rear, mebbe 1.5" total. And even that little bit of change made a world of difference in how I felt on the bike. Just a ton more comfortable, I wasn't trying to slide my butt cheeks off the rear end of the saddle. Oh yeah, and the Comp woulda been $400 more. As I get used to the bike, that might change, but for right now, I be happy.

Andrej

17. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

This is the current model for my ATB:
    [​IMG]
    Mine's much older and came with no suspension. It still looks just as good and rides as sweet as can be!

18. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Of the "normal" type bar ends I've always liked the Coda XYZ Super Shorties. I'm not sure what they are marketed under now... but it's a Cannondale brand component. Are they still badged Coda? Anyhoo.. they are curved to fit your hand and are quite comfy. I used a pair back in '96 before I got the Durango XC bar.

19. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona

20. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Must be the hockey player in me. "
    Michael*K People play hockey in Chicago[​IMG]
    Brent L