My neighbor's new swimming pool, for skateboarding

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ron-P, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My neighbor recently finished construction of a swimming pool. Just after it was signed off, it was drained and the skateboarding began. It was designed more so for skateboarding than swimming. It's 4' at one end and 8' at the other. I've never known or heard of anyone doing this before.

I received the invite as well as other "inexperienced" neighbors for Wednesday nights, the nights dedicated to the old and feeble (like myself). My family and I skateboard, but stick to mostly flat surfaces. Jumping in his pool was quite the experience. It's so extremely smooth and my board was built for cruising so it's fast. May times the board left my feet ahead of me.

My deck is 9"x32.5", Independent trucks with Kryptonic 70's. It's a fairly large board, but it handled the pool better then myself.

I must say, it was a blast. Anyone else do this? Or has done it? After my first night, I am ready for more...it's very addicting. By the end of the night I was climbing half way up the wall of the deep end and back down and staying on the board.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

2. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Well, the only problem with this is that pools are designed and constructed with the assumption that water will be in them. Without water to push against the walls, it will very likely start to collapse.

3. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

[​IMG] Well you very well don't want to pool to collapse. I don't skateboard, but I'd love to drop my BMX in there and try a couple moves.

4. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

When I grew up in the 70s, skateboarding in pools was definately the rage (very few skateboard parks used to exist back then). Unfortunately, swimming pools here in Washington are pretty rare so i never had the opportunity. I was eventaully able to visit a skateboard park in Vancouver BC, however.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I highly doubt it would collapse. My neighbor has several friends that also use their pools for skateboarding and have been doing so for years and there still fully intact. The weight, thickness and PSI of the concrete used will withstand the outside pressure.

Although, in our area by the beach with the high water table, I could see the pool rising up if enough water pressure built up underneath it. He was told to fill it twice a year for several weeks to keep it down, just in case.

I didn't ask, but I'm sure he took all this into account before having it built knowing all to well it wouldn't see much water.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

I'm sorry Ron, God bless you, but I just can't picture you on a skateboard, and especially not tearing it up in a pool..

Have some pics taken of you and post them on your site, it would be interesting to see...

7. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
  8. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    You know Greg, I was just going to post that. Ron, you really should get Dogtown. It's a great documentary. Even though it's mostly on the Venice area, it touches on the OC skate movement a bit. Lester Kasai etc.
    Hey, I still skate too, (there a bit of skater in many of us SoCal'ers). What's funny is, I'm sure Ron and I both remember the monumental transition from clay to urethane wheels (remember Cadillacs?). They also touch on this in the documentary, Ron may have this already.

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

10. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

As I recall the marcite in swimming pools is not very welll designed to withstand the heavy wear skateboard trucks put on it.

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"When I grew up in the 70s" Yeah when boards were 4-5" wide and maybe 18-20" long.

Nowadays you can sleep on the boards they are so big!

Brent