What's new

My Name Is Earl (1 Viewer)

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
What a show. One of my favourites at the moment but I haven't heard anything about a release. I know I am impatient but I would love to hear any information.

Im just trying to be a better person and watch My Name Is Earl on DVD :D

Jeff#

Screenwriter
If the producers of My Name Is Earl can get the clearance to play the songs on NBC each week, then can certainly do the same for DVD. A lot of the tunes heard on the show are old anyhow, so it shouldn't be difficult.

The earliest I can see this action sitcom coming to DVD would be in the fall, because it hasn't even finished airing its first season yet.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
It all matters on whether NBC has done the smart thing and negotiated home video music rights, or whether they are willing to cough up the money for the music.

There are plenty of programs that used licensed music on a regular basic, and unfortunately, a lot of them have the music changed to generic garbage for home video.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
If this show has music issues, then those that negotiate the contracts must be fired and replaced. Seriously, it would be insane in this day and age to exclude DVD releases in the original negotiations for securing songs. This is why I don't think the music will be an issue. Most shows with music issues are shows that negotiated rights to use the song but not license it for home video, as it wasn't a factor at the time.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
And yet it happened to an older show in a not so distant day and age (2004-05) to the 1980s series WISEGUY. The "Dead Dog Records" story arc is one of the most blatant instances of episodes unreleased because of music rights. Yet those few unrelated episodes that were had some music changed, and although I don't know what was replaced, the replacement songs were horrible. Even series star Ken Wahl made a brief mention of that in his audio commentary of those episodes.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Wouldn't it be FOX job to secure the rights? NBC just purchase the show from FOX.

Well, hopefully FOX will put a good DVD out. I have a feeling that now-a-days Home Video rights will be secured at the same time. Especially with TV Shows been released during their run (like Earl, Desperate Housewives...).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I like this show a lot, and I'd probably buy it on dvd, but, if there's any song replacement, then karma is going to kick their ass, and I for one will be passing on it.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

The age of the music has no bearing on the ease or difficulty involved in obtaining clearances.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
If My Name is Earl has any extras, how about some of the censored nude scenes with the ladies on the show? (Jamie Pressley and the Mexican maid).

Just kidding....they're aren't any. :D

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member

Jeff,

I think he means when a show is being produced for television NOW, it would be stupid to no negotiate the music. When shows were being produced in the 80's there wasn't really a market for TV on home video.

Still, it happened with Wonderfalls. A 13 episode series filmed in 2003, aired (4 episodes) in 2004, and later released on DVD February of 2005. Music had to be replaced on some of the episodes.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Double edge sword thinking here:

As much as we'd like to think that the producers were thinking about managing the rights for DVD production, I would hate to see a show jeapordize it's creativity based on what's 'affordable' for DVD production.

In order to first make it to DVD, the show needs fairly decent ratings. Part of the shows charm is with the appropriateness of the music cues. I'd hate to have a less effective music cue in the show because it's cheaper to license for the DVD.

Rick P

Supporting Actor

Am I the only one that thinks hearing "victory is mine" coming out of Earl would be a little strange?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I agree that in this day and age it would be irresponsable at best to produce a show without any forethought given to it's eventual home video release, however, i'm not so hung up on the music for this show, I would still buy it if they altered the music...but I hope they don't, don't get me wrong.

Now Supernatural on the other hand...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks