What's new

My Name is Earl (1 Viewer)

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
The TV guide says Encore is replaying this weeks episode on Thursday Night.

Then, apparently, NBC is having a "my name is earl marathon" on 10/8, where they are show all 3 episodes.

nick

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Heh, "How Poison?". That was wicked.
While this episode wasn't as jam packed as the first, it was still very enjoyable.

I thought for a second that Donny's mom was falling for Earl when she leaned her head on his shoulder. Donny would have freaked!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Very rarely in TV history has a second episode been superior to the pilot, but My Name is Earl pulled it off. Two thumbs up from this guy also! :emoji_thumbsup::):emoji_thumbsup:

I can't watch Arrested Development because that shaky, handheld camerawork makes it as unwatchably nauseating to sitcoms as Law & Order and NYPD Blue were to cop shows. Well written and acted doesn't make up for a rotten fillmaking process. My Name is Earl has much better production values and is filmed in a more traditional process that I can respect.

Wonderfalls? Never seen it, so no comment.

Until I read this topic, I never heard of this Ethan Suplee guy who plays Earl's best friend. Same goes with sexy Nadine Velazquez as the maid. Nice to have a few names of the co-stars. :) They do add much to the show as Earl's friends.

Crossing off items on his list are more signifigant in the second episode that aired on September 27 when both Earl and the ex-inmate's mom both give up smoking! Her hitting him with a gigantic-size big print bible before they bonded was laugh out loud funny! :D

Another plus is babe-o-licious Jamie Pressley, again playing another in a long line of her white trash roles as Earl's ex-wife. A woman who tries to kill him in the second show...until he reveals to her at gunpoint at the end that he changed his will to not include her. Her equally not-too-bright new boyfriend, a black guy with natty hair must be on Earl's side. He delivers her poisoned cookies to the man, and warns him to NOT eat them...even though his best friend came close! :D

That $100,000 Earl won in the pilot (which he lost and soon regained when the ticket conveniently flew back into his hands) should be noted as being the financial basis for Earl's travels. Think about the possibilities for a moment. He could travel cross-country each season and maybe even overseas on occasion to right thw wrongs of the people whose lives he worsened in his shady past!

I can't say I've seen Jason Lee before, but as the lead here his character in this series is refreshing.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I noticed in the Internet Movie Database that Nadine Velazquez was listed as # 93 on the 100 list of Maxim's sexiest women.

According to the IMDB it seems she co-starred on The Bold and The Beautiful a couple of years ago. I don't watch soap operas, which is why I didn't know who she is.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Anne's car tires do a "screech" as she turns around and races away from the Williamson household...:D

Article mentioned lower ratings for 2nd episode. Sigh, like "Arrested Development" some people appear to just not get it.

San Diego Channel 39 did NOT show the 2nd "Earl" episode in HD (unlike the pilot). "The Office" that followed was in HD. Anyone else have this problem on their NBC affiliate?

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
Great episode, I hope they can keep it going. Along with the "The Office" I now have my favorite night of TV. I think my only problem with the show is Jamie Pressly, I wish they would have used their imaginations a little more on that casting.

That's too bad, you're missing one of the great ones. I'm kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum. I can't watch a newly produced show that's presented in the generic, static, old fashioned sitcom format with the tell-me-when-to-laugh-track, ala "Two And a Half Men".

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I'm in San Diego too, Pete, but since I have standard definition TV I couldn't tell you. Could it be that NBC didn't budget Earl to be broadcast in HD for every show? After all, back in the mid 1980s only certain episodes of CBS' The Twilight Zone were recorded in stereo.

This weekend's Saturday Night Live will be the first shown in high definition. They're in the 31st season now.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Why do people assume that others "don't get it" rather than "like something else better". Last night, Earl was on against premieres of "The Amazing Race" and "Commander in Chief" as well as a new episode of "House". The previous week, it was pretty much just on against "House". In any case, Earl still did substantially better than its "Biggest Loser" lead in, and is doing phenomenally well for an NBC sitcom, so it should have no trouble staying on the air for a full season.

Regards,

Jeff#

Screenwriter

Police Squad! was a wacky, in-your-face comedy that was only on for 6 episodes, but at least Leslie Nielsen later got a few more chances to play Lt. Frank Drebin in 3 feature length Naked Gun movies. I have to admit TOO many jokes make some of them easy to miss though.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Did anyone recognize the woman who played Donnie's Mom as the same woman who played Lynette's cranky neighbor on "Desperate Housewives" last season? She also had a recurring role as Dolores Landingham on "The West Wing" for its first four seasons. She definitely has some range, as I had to rack my brain (and the Internet) to remember where I had seen her before, and was a little surprised that the same woman played those parts.

Regards,

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I watched it last night. Loveed it. Man some of the jokes are way out there like the guy talking through the mechanical mechanism and the guy says, can you say, I am your Father luke and he does it!! :laugh:
Best new show of the season in my opinion.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit

Just before he finds that ticket, he talks about how he is going to afford to go ahead with his plan. or maybe his buddy asks that?

Nick

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

Yeah, his brother Randy says "How are you going to afford this crusade, cuz I'm not cutting into my beer money for this?"

Then the ticket floats onto Earl's foot.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Anyone else have this problem on their NBC affiliate?"

No prob here in NY

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

This might have been my favorite episode yet, and not just because they had a heck of a soundtrack for this one with Tuesday's gone making me want to watch Happy Gilmore but it was a funny episode overall. I love how Joy tries to make his life a living hell every week but she ends up getting it in the end.

Glad its picked up for the whole season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks