What's new

My Name Is Earl - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I know I can't be the only one who watched the 3rd season premiere last night. It was much better than I expected and I'm glad to see that even with the prison storyline they were able to keep the humor well-written and more importantly, funny. We all know that Earl won't be in prison for 2 years (unless they jump forward to his release), but I also don't see Joy confessing to the crimes. I wonder how this arc will wrap-up?

Joy calling Randy a "big-headed, hillbilly Linus" was one of the greatest things I've heard in a long time.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Joy was actually spot-on with her assessment of Randy, and Jaime Pressly doles out the lines without missing a beat, and was well-deserving of her Emmy win a few weeks ago.

Ben Foster turned in a good supporting performance, becoming yet another person who Earl has to help because of a wrong he inflicted on him.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The most surprising thing was that the episode managed to remain upbeat despite Earl's circumstances. I also liked Randy stealing the car at the end to join Earl in prison.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I liked it as well, and thought it was funny that Randy had cards with his questions on it and never really had time to ask Earl any of them. Hopefully they can keep this season funnier than the first half of last season, which I thought was lacking a lot of the time.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Same here, especially after such a stellar first season. In retrospect though, the first half of season 2 was necessary to set-up the many different story arcs that the end of that season saw. It was also such a departure from the first season that we needed some time to adjust to the new format.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Whereas this season feels much closer to the biting satirical tone of the first season despite a complete change in scenery. The real challenge will be whether they can keep the heightened state of reality back in Camden once Earl and Randy eventually get released.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
VERY funny when Ben Foster asked Earl for the shiv.

You knew he was going to use it on Earl. I was crying when Earl handed it to him - and he turned around and jabbed it in Earls arm.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

Definitely--I was pleasantly surprised. I thought that an hour of Earl would be a chore to get through, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

A friend of mine had to complain that he missed the bit about Randy at the very end--a pretty big plot point that he would've never known about had I not told him, because he was so used to the "Stay tuned for more Earl" leading only to the credits and walked away from the TV.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Can't believe they snuck in the licking of an ice cream push-up in a gay prison romance episode.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, we were pretty shocked here too. Must have just slipped by the censors.

Another great episode. Throwing Earl in jail really gave the show its spark back. Also loved Craig T. Nelson as the most disinterested prison warden ever.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Does anyone know how long they are going to keep Earl in prison? Is this going to be for the whole year? I hope not. It is going to get old pretty fast.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I've been impressed that they've kept the show entertaining for as long as they have.

The show is based on a "gimmick" (Earl crossing names off his list) and they have found ways to move from every episode simply being that every week.

"My Name is Earl" doesn't often get the buzz that some other comedies do, but the performances by all of the principles on the show really are quite good.

It is a crime that Jason Lee hasn't won an Emmy for his role. He has literally become that character.

Jaime Pressly (who just won an Emmy) really has become more than a one-dimensional "white trash" bimbo.

"Earl" has never been a laugh out loud funny show (except for a few moments). I consider it to be more amusing than anything. And I really like have enjoyed it over the past couple of seasons.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
That was the gayest thing I've ever seen on network television -- not Will & Grace gay, more like Queer as Folk gay. I'm really surprised that a full mouth romantic gay kiss in the 8 o'clock timeslot hasn't caused some sort of furor. Either society is becomnig more tolerant or no one watches Earl.

BTW, 2nd ep was much better than the season premiere.

RafaelB

Second Unit
I was thinking it was going to go the way it did, with the inmates falling in love, but it was also a great way to show how much Earl's evolved from his first encounter with a gay man in the first episode of the first season.

And I loved how no-one came to arrest Randy. :D

Rafael.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Great episode tonight. The writers were in top form, easily just as good as what we saw back during the first season. I guess we now know how they'll be able to progress while Earl is in prison. I don't mind the Earl "flashback" episodes (to events prior to season 1) because they are always comedy gold.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the flashback episode tonight was reminiscent of the great episodes of season one. I got fed up with the show last year because I felt it was getting way too sappy and preachy at times, but so far this year has been rather enjoyable three episodes in. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
So ... Is Earl going to stay in jail for the entire season??

And we haven't seen the lady "deaf lawyer" at all so far this season. What's up with that??

If there was a romance blossoming there, you would have thought that she'd visit him occasionally.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I liked how they built off the flashes of these scenes we'd seen previously.

I was absolutely dying when Randy fired off the shot gun and blew a hole in the fridge. Both times.:)

Tim Stack is always hilarious.

Great episode.

Best line of the night: "Woah! Check out the vagina on Al Roker..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks