What's new

My movie poster lightbox (1 Viewer)

Paul.G

Agent
Hello everyone, I'm new here at Home Theater Forum. I've been hanging around DVD message boards and AVSforum and just realized that this forum exists. It looks like a great place :)

I recently made my own movie poster lightbox using the amazing DIY instructions available here. I did make some of my own adjustments to the box, and painted it in a different style, but for the mostpart, I followed Ed Weiland's instructions. The box came out great - I'm very happy with it.

Heres a photo of the lightbox off:

and one of it on:

The picture of it on looks yellowish, while in real life it looks a lot better. I couldn't get a better shot with our digital camera.

Here's a close up of the side so you can see the the molding and the color choices I used.

Tell me what you think :)

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
very nice indeed!
what a good choice for a poster, too.
I just bought my materials last week, to start mine.
I've already decided on hard wiring to a wall switch, since my wall is just studs, at this point.
does anyone know if it would be a heat or fire hazard to recess these into a wall a bit?
just enough so the outer frame is showing so changing posters would be an option
drill holes in top/bottom/sides of wooden frame to let heat escape, maybe?
considering my deal where it would only be on a few hours at a time, it doesn't seem like THAT much heat would build up, but I don't know.
thanks,
Ed

Paul.G

Agent
Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Eddie - the bulbs don't get very hot at all. I doubt there is more chance of a fire hazard if the lightbox in the wall, rather than in a box hanging on the wall. Just be sure to make all your wiring safe and it'll be fine! I think that recessing lightboxes into your walls would look awesome when its complete! :D

Paul.G

Agent
Eddie, I'd love to see photos of your lightbox... the links in your post don't seem to be working :frowning:

I had the same problem with being able to see the lights a lot more clearly in the photos than in real life... like you said, it must be a strange camera thing.

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
Those look great. I am definitely interested in trying this.

Can anyone provide any decent sources for two-sided movie posters?

-Gerry

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Paul,
Hmmmm, I click on the photo links and they come up fine. Let me see if this works

Gerry, without doing a lot of searching I just go to eBay
there's not to big selection, tho

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Eddie, that site doesn't allow outside linking from another site. Is there a home page for the pics, then we could just navigate to them from there. That site says:

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious if you guys that attached photos are using the double sided posters?

I tried looking around but haven't come up with much in terms of finding double sided posters. I wonder if it would look bad if you just stuck a regular poster in there? Any comments.

-Gerry

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
you can't tell?
well, neither will I.
actually, my "Pulp Fiction" is a single, and it really doesn't look all that bad.
I do have 4 doubles, and yes they do look a bit better, not all that washed out, blurry, fuzzy, whatever you want to call it.
I just didn't want to put any of them up as a first test.
I can do a comparision if you like.
Too bad I don't have....wait I do have a single and DS of "Shakepseare In Love" I could test.

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Eddie:

A comparison would be great!

The thing is I read somehwere that if you didnt use the double sided posters, you may as well just frame them and light them from the exterior.

With a serious lack of double sided posters, I just want to make sure it would be worthwhile to consider this project.

Thanks,
Gerry

RonnieT

Stunt Coordinator
Eddie,
how much did yours cost to build? It looks like it was cheaper (cost wise, not looks) to put together than the one from the link that Paul had posted. I'm assuming you spent less on trim and such since it was built into the wall. BTW, I really like the in wall look you got going. I have a nice DS poster of Saving Private Ryan that would look great in one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks