What's new

My Mother The Car: Coming from TGG (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
oldtvshowbuff said:
If TGG is going to bring out "Bachelor Father", they would have to reach a licensing deal with NBC Universal for that show, but Antenna TV is only airing, 120 out of a total of 157 episodes, because of lost or damaged videotape transfers, due to the great Universal fire in 2008 and will be moved to an early morning time slot on weekdays at 5 a.m. eastern/4 a.m. central to make way for "The Patty Duke Show".
How about The People's Choice ? I read somewhere that TVLand acquired the broadcast rights to Peoples Choice and Love That Bob, but they don't run either show. Anyway , I'd rather have them on DVD Anyone know for sure who owns them and if they are licensable ? .

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
BobO'Link said:
While I don't know for sure it appears to me that the Amazon listing is possibly incorrect. There were 30 episodes of the series. There are 5 disks with all disks but #2 having 6 episodes. The episode missing from that disk listing is "My Son, the Ventriloquist" which aired just before the very similar sounding episode, "My Son, The Judge." I can see how someone typing a list could easily skip that one. Plus you would think they'd put the disk with only 5 episodes as the *last* disk if a single episode were left off. Plus *all* episodes except the *last* one ("Desperate Minutes") are currently available for free streaming at IMDB (from Hulu). If it's available for free streaming you'd think it'll also be on the set.

Plus the episode listing is in the "Editorial Review" section which is a regular spot for mis-information about many products.
Yes, your reasoning is probably right about the missing episode being a typo. The epiosde listing contained in the announcement from tvshowsondvd.com does indeed list all 30 episodes.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Went to order the set this morning from Amazon...

"Temporarily out of stock"

Looks like the usual TGG delays apply.

I wish they wouldn't announce release dates for their shows until they know they can deliver them on that date.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I noticed today that the Amazon Editorial review for My Mother the Car on the product page now lists all 30 episodes. Looks like everything will be ok episode-wise. The price has also dropped, so that is good news, too.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
oldtvshowbuff said:
If TGG is going to bring out "Bachelor Father", they would have to reach a licensing deal with NBC Universal for that show, but Antenna TV is only airing, 120 out of a total of 157 episodes, because of lost or damaged videotape transfers, due to the great Universal fire in 2008 and will be moved to an early morning time slot on weekdays at 5 a.m. eastern/4 a.m. central to make way for "The Patty Duke Show".
Once again, more completely bogus information. Nothing could be further from the truth. 39 episodes were pulled out of the Bachelor Father due to music clearance issues. Fire had nothing to do with anything.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
LouA said:
How about The People's Choice ? I read somewhere that TVLand acquired the broadcast rights to Peoples Choice and Love That Bob, but they don't run either show. Anyway , I'd rather have them on DVD Anyone know for sure who owns them and if they are licensable ? .
Why would TV Land license shows they wouldn't run? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Everything is licensable if you go to the rights holder. Not sure who that would be on these but since they were both McCadden Productions, perhaps the George Burns estate.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Neil Brock said:
Why would TV Land license shows they wouldn't run? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Everything is licensable if you go to the rights holder. Not sure who that would be on these but since they were both McCadden Productions, perhaps the George Burns estate.
This! TV Bland barely knows what classic TV even is anymore! Other than the same Bonanza and Gunsmoke repeats, there's little classic TV anymore on the network.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ron1973 said:
This! TV Bland barely knows what classic TV even is anymore! Other than the same Bonanza and Gunsmoke repeats, there's little classic TV anymore on the network.
They abandoned classic TV years ago so they could jump on the reality TV and original programming bandwagon. There is NOTHING classic about them anymore. I have fond memories of their launch when they ran complete orginal episodes of I Love Lucy with the little stick figures of Lucy and Desi that did the opening, bumpers, and closing of the show. Not the familiar "White Heart" opening and closing.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Neil Brock said:

Correct, it doesn't make any sense. I've been trying to track down the original post I read stating that TVLand had the shows , but I can't locate it. I was actually surprised when I read it . Then again , a lot of erroneous things are written on the internet. It doesn't matter to me me who "owns" or "has the rights" to those shows and I don't have anything against TVLand . I'd just like to see complete season by season releases for both programs and it doesn't matter to me who puts them out . Realistically , I don't expect to see either show released.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Neil Brock said:
Once again, more completely bogus information. Nothing could be further from the truth. 39 episodes were pulled out of the Bachelor Father due to music clearance issues. Fire had nothing to do with anything.
I swear that a few "Bachelor Father" episodes were put back into the syndication package on Antenna TV. "The Richest Cat", "Kelly's Engagement", and "Kelly's Graduation" are just a few so far. The episodes from the 5th and final season with guest stars Frankie Laine and Patti Page are still out, but could be reinstated.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Neil Brock said:
Neil Brock said:
Also there could be celebrity licensing issues from the Gisele McKenzie, Patti Page, and Frankie Laine estates, because they were all BF guest stars.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Does anyone know of any actual lawsuits brought against the studios for DVD releases
that did not clear the music or other issues?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
oldtvshowbuff said:
I swear that a few "Bachelor Father" episodes were put back into the syndication package on Antenna TV. "The Richest Cat", "Kelly's Engagement", and "Kelly's Graduation" are just a few so far. The episodes from the 5th and final season with guest stars Frankie Laine and Patti Page are still out, but could be reinstated.
Wow, good to know. I'll have to put it back on my DVR. I stopped recording them because I figured I had everything they were going to run. I think it was 118 or 119 that I got. So now there are more? Great.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Bob Gu said:
Does anyone know of any actual lawsuits brought against the studios for DVD releases
CBS got sued over using the Texaco Star Theatre theme song in a Family Ties episode without getting clearance.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
In todays sue-happy world most studios know better than to even attempt to sneak uncleared music past anyone. So its either delay it until it can be cleared at a reasonable price or use music replacements like Paramount did on a few releases.
Bob Gu said:

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
I ordered this title from Amazon. It is a series that I had heard a lot abut but never seen. I have now watched the first 12 episodes and I must say I am really enjoying it. However I am surprised that a series about reincarnation was made at that time . The theme song is wonderful. There are some similarities to Knight Rider with the way the cars communicate with their human contacts. Personally I prefer the episodes without the Captain. I thought though that the episode when the Captain pretended to be dying and he finally got the car would have been a good ending for his character. After that experience you would have thought that he would not have wanted the car at any price. But next episode it was back to business as usual. I hope that the company that put out this show might consider two other fantasy comedy series yet to appear on DVD - Nanny and the Professor and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. And My world and welcome to it would be great to have on DVD too.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I second you with The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and Nanny and the Professor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks