What's new

My Mother The Car: Coming from TGG (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Tammy Grimes was a very talented stage actress who became famous for starring on Broadway in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown". Unfortunately, her lack of box office fame was why the movie went to Debbie Reynolds instead. Tammy had some memorable guest shots on "Route 66", "Burke's Law" and other programs in the early 60s that are worth a look.

She was also briefly married to Christopher Plummer in the late 50s. Actress Amanda Plummer is her daughter.

As for the sitcom, it was the sort of thing that might have worked for a play or a movie (it was created by George Axelrod, author of "The Seven Year Itch" among other things) but as a premise for an ongoing series, it was totally unworkable. All you have to do is watch the one episode on YouTube to see why it couldn't have possibly lasted.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ed Lachmann said:
I'll certainly be picking it up since I remember enjoying that show back in the day. Also, I'd do it to support TGG, whose track record is pretty outstanding. Their wonderful SEA HUNT box sets have been a joy to watch. Wonder what else they might come up with. I'd sure love a couple (or all) of the seasons of BACHELOR FATHER and PEOPLE'S CHOICE. I'd spring for the much maligned IT'S ABOUT TIME, also. But, the one I'd love the most and REALLY get excited about would be ADVENTURES IN PARADISE. Perhaps many of these shows were outlandish, but compared to the cookie cutter, God awful crime shows with cloying electronic music all over them and interchangeable characters of today, they were Shakespeare!
My understanding is Paradise has been held up by the Michener estate. What exact issue I don't know, but I suspect it's like everything else in society today....$.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Ejanss, TGG, The Garr Group is a small budget DVD manufacturer/ distributor and has be around a few years now and has a deal with the MGM/United Artists catalog. They started out reissuing previously released MGM movies, horror/Charlie Chan etc, sometimes in double features. In the past year they began releasing TV series from the MGM/UA catalog and at surprisingly low prices through the online retailers.Some of the TGG releases: SEA HUNT all four seasons, HIGHWAY PATROL Seasons 2,3,4 (Season 1 was a MGM MOD), BAT MASTERSON all three seasons, (3's not quite out yet) THE YOUNG RIDERS Seasons 1 and 3, IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT Season 1, RIPCORD Season 1 and 2,and FLIPPER: The New Adventures Seasons 2,3,4 (S1 was an MGM MOD). It is funny that they have not released original FLIPPER Season 3.I glad someone mentioned DAKTARI being on against MY MOTHER THE CAR. DAKTARI started in Jan 1966 replacing the cancelled RAWHIDE.I must have seen more MY MOTHER THE CAR than I first thought. The theme song is running through my head and I remember most of the words.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Neil Brock said:
While it may have been the most outlandish concept of all time, it certainly wasn't the worst show. As someone already stated, The Tammy Grimes Show was much worse as was Ugiliest Girl In Town. If you want to go more modern, The Munsters Today or The New Munsters or whatever it was called was unwatchable. Can't imagine anyone over the age of 5 being able to get through a full episode.
I know this has been a dream of yours for a long time. Congradulations. I'm hoping you get It's about time by Christmas.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Frank Soyke said:
OK, since this is being released, my next thought is......Accidental Family anyone?

I'd get both!
Love Accidental Family plus I'm a big Lois Nettleton fan. That was where I first became aware of her. Produced by Sheldon Leonard and NBC so not sure who would actually control it these days. Hopefully not Leonard's son as he is rich as Rockefeller and would not have any interest in bothering with something so minor. If its NBC Universal, probably still not much of chance, but slightly more of one.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
One of the nicest things about this release is that it gives us hope that the vast black hole of one season 60's sitcom releases may finally be broken. Up to this point, I believe (may be wrong) that the only release that fits this bill was Good Morning World. Point is, maybe there is finally some hope for we fans of He and She, Love On A Rooftop, Many Happy Returns, Occasional Wife, etc. I hope so.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Frank Soyke said:
One of the nicest things about this release is that it gives us hope that the vast black hole of one season 60's sitcom releases may finally be broken. Up to this point, I believe (may be wrong) that the only release that fits this bill was Good Morning World. Point is, maybe there is finally some hope for we fans of He and She, Love On A Rooftop, Many Happy Returns, Occasional Wife, etc. I hope so.
So true. While George C. Scott above may be tut-tutting such dreams, here's proof that dreams, or nightmares to others, really do come true. Mark me down for some MMTC!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
There've been other one season 60s sitcoms released on DVD. "Gidget" also comes to mind, as does the "New Loretta Young Show" and we've had the partial releases of "I'm Dickens, He's Fenster" and "My Living Doll."

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Mark me down also for a copy of "Mother" and if it happens, "ooh ooh" "It's About Time" -- they're only one or two season shows....would it kill these studios to put out these smasller sets? If you're a fan of "Captain Nice", you can pick up "Mr Terrific" on dvd on Amazon Germany in a complete series set (if you have a multi region dvd player -- beautiful prints as well)

Jerry Van Dyke tells a very funny story on how he turned down "Gilligan's Island" for MMTC in the excellent 2001 movie "Surviving Gilligan's Island" -- I hope they can do an interview with Jerry for this MMTC set, and hope all 4 Gilligan movies (including this one) make it into a 50th anniversary GI bluray set....well, one can dream....

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Bob Gu said:
I must have seen more MY MOTHER THE CAR than I first thought. The theme song is running through my head and I remember most of the words.
Which keeps reminding me of the line from MST3K--
We see an early 30's-serial police-car chase, and Joel Hodgson adds the police APB:"Attention, all units, be on the lookout for escaped car....1928 Porter, that's my mother dear...Helps me through everything I do, and I'm so glad she's here..." :D

Real Name
Joe
And to be honest, until I got a book as a kid about "the Worst TV Shows of All Time", I'd never heard about much of the "concept" 60's of Tammy Grimes, Julie Newmar, Captain Nice or It's About Time.
I'm not sure why someone would have put Captain Nice in a Worst TV shows of all time in a book on the subject unless they just found it an easy target. I could see it's counterpart Mr. Terrific being there but not this.

Granted it's been over 40 years but my memory tells me that William Daniels as Captain Nice while flopping with Nielsen audiences, was generally well received because often the humor came as much from the script as it did the sight gags. And that may have been the problem, that and the fact that it and Mr. Terrific which probably should have been on a worst list premiered at the same time. Audiences just didn't get that Captain Nice was supposed to be satirical. It was scripted and produced by Buck Henry, who was also responsible for scripting Get Smart. And I thought Daniels was hilarious.

Then again, maybe I'm looking at it through ancient Rose Colored Glasses, but there are a few episodes on YouTube if you want to check it out for yourself.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Clyde's Place said:
I'm not sure why someone would have put Captain Nice in a Worst TV shows of all time in a book on the subject unless they just found it an easy target. I could see it's counterpart Mr. Terrific being there but not this. Granted it's been over 40 years but my memory tells me that William Daniels as Captain Nice while flopping with Nielsen audiences, was generally well received because often the humor came as much from the script as it did the sight gags. And that may have been the problem, that and the fact that it and Mr. Terrific which probably should have been on a worst list premiered at the same time. Audiences just didn't get that Captain Nice was supposed to be satirical. It was scripted and produced by Buck Henry, who was also responsible for scripting Get Smart. And I thought Daniels was hilarious. Then again, maybe I'm looking at it through ancient Rose Colored Glasses, but there are a few episodes on YouTube if you want to check it out for yourself.
Never watched either when they were on but having seen them now, Captain Nice is pretty funny while Mr. Terrific, not so much. Universal really didn't have a very good track record with sitcoms, other than a couple of successes.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Frank Soyke said:
Count me as someone anxious for them as well. Don't forget Second Hundred Years, Hey Landlord, Run Buddy Run, The Good Guys and Double Life of Henry Phyfe. Some, after seeing them as an adult, I can live without, like Camp Runamuck and Baileys of Balboa. Best to leave them as early childhood memories.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Brian McP said:
Jerry Van Dyke tells a very funny story on how he turned down "Gilligan's Island" for MMTC in the excellent 2001 movie "Surviving Gilligan's Island" -- I hope they can do an interview with Jerry for this MMTC set, and hope all 4 Gilligan movies (including this one) make it into a 50th anniversary GI bluray set....well, one can dream....
Jerry tells that story, but it's inaccurate.

He turned down GILLIGAN'S ISLAND in early Fall 1963. GI's pilot episode with Bob Denver filmed November 1963.

Spring of 1965, Jerry guest starred on the final episode of season 5 of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW. There were informal talks of him coming back as a recurring player in season 6, as Andy's new deputy. No offer was made by Aaron Ruben, Sheldon Leonard or Andy Griffith, but Jerry proactively announced he would not be available for more episodes because he just accepted a starring role in his own show, MY MOTHER THE CAR, which went into production in the summer of 1965.

Interestingly, Van Dyke's costar in MMTC was Avery Schreiber. Avery's partner Jack Burns became the [short-lived] replacement for Don Knotts on TAGS.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Brent S said:
Jerry tells that story, but it's inaccurate.

He turned down GILLIGAN'S ISLAND in early Fall 1963. GI's pilot episode with Bob Denver filmed November 1963.

Spring of 1965, Jerry guest starred on the final episode of season 5 of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW. There were informal talks of him coming back as a recurring player in season 6, as Andy's new deputy. No offer was made by Aaron Ruben, Sheldon Leonard or Andy Griffith, but Jerry proactively announced he would not be available for more episodes because he just accepted a starring role in his own show, MY MOTHER THE CAR, which went into production in the summer of 1965.

Interestingly, Van Dyke's costar in MMTC was Avery Schreiber. Avery's partner Jack Burns became the [short-lived] replacement for Don Knotts on TAGS.
Jerry Van Dyke also would have appeared in the "Stacey Petrie" episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show in early '65, and IIRC, that was intended to lead to a spin-off.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I was looking around on Amazon and found that TGG DIRECT is also offering a twofer release of the King Vidor SOLOMON AND SHEBA and the Richard Burton ALEXANDER THE GREAT which were originally MGM single DVD releases. I really wish that they would consider releasing a blu-ray version of this twofer. ALEXANDER is already out in BD in Denmark, Japan and Spain; and, I know that a high def transfer of SOLOMON also exists. Now that would be something I'd buy in a hot second! I'm sure there are many others who would be interested in picking it up, as well. Just hope TGG checks out this forum from time to time.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see a MMTC release-i saw it on TV Land back in the 90s and it wasn't as bad as some of the stuff that has followed since. Also, what about He & She? Both Richard Benjamin & Paula Prentiss (still married after 50+ years!) are still around, so they'd be great for interviews/commentaries. A 1-season wonder I've always wanted to see is The Pruitts of Southampton/The Phyllis Diller Show, partly because it stars Ms. Diller and has Richard Deacon and Gypsy Rose Lee(!) in its cast and it was based on a book by none other than Patrick Dennis!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks