What's new

My Most Embarrassing Moment (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I was the History teacher at an elementary school and it was “Open House”, where parents toured the school. All our rooms were decked out. I wanted to have something unique to show off that History could be interesting, so I brought my Edison Antique cylinder player.
We also had 2 student volunteers. I trained these two to wind up the machine and change cylinders. They thought this was a lot of fun.

I had forgotten however that relations between the races was very different circa 1915 from today. Just as an extremely nice black family entered my room a “comedy” recording started to play with two white guys doing an Amos and Andy type routine.
The joke was something like “Hey Joe, why is you so slow”
Joe replies “it’s only 9:00 LN”
“What’s LN?”
I’m afraid the answer was “Lazy N... Time” (!!!!)

I don’t know how quickly I speeded across the room to take it off, but the Flash had nothing on me!

I was totally mortified and ready to perform a begging apology, but the family seemed completely oblivious to what happened. I realized later that with these old recordings you have to become attuned and listen carefully. What I heard clearly, they probably did not hear at all. My career was still safe!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I once had a history teacher in high school named Mr. Bass, who was a physically imposing figure. We went on to have a good relationship over the course of the school year, but the first few weeks were rough. I went to complain to my guidance counselor, and as I described having Mr. Bass as a teacher as being like “having a giant fish to fry,” my guidance counselor’s face suddenly went pale white.

“He’s standing right behind me, isn’t he?”

He was.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
1980s. We Are the World was popular. Everybody was making fun of Bob Dylan. Everybody! But not Mr. Harris. He schooled us what the deal was with Bob Dylan. Oops. we didn't know! lol He was a language arts teacher. And he really cared.

Mr. Jones taught drafting class. Loved the class didn't like Mr. Jones. One day a student fell from his chair. He had a seizure. Mr. Jones knew what do to, jumping into action and saved that kid's life. Will never forget that. Sorry Mr. Jones, was wrong about you.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had a moment similar to @Josh Steinberg . Our hometown used to be the home to the Plymouth Whalers, a major junior hockey team in the Ontario Hockey League, and we had season tickets for seats a row in front of the press box at center ice. At one game, a fan from the opposing team asked me about our head coach, noticing a change from the previous season. I explained that the coach was Mike Vellucci, who had stepped in as coach for a second time, replacing former Detroit Red Wings goaltender Greg Stefan, who coached the team for one season to allow Vellucci time to focus on his other duties (general manger and team president). I told the fan that Stefan was a terrible coach, and the team had been such a disaster under him that Vellucci had to step back in mid-season and the team's owner had found Stefan another job as a scout.

Just after finishing my analysis of Stefan's coaching "abilities", a friend who sat behind us tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to the press box right behind us. Yes, there was Greg Stefan standing there. :blush: My only consolation was that I'm sure that Stefan knew he'd done a lousy job in his only stint as a head coach.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
The year was 1975. I was managing a large drive in theatre in Mississippi. Shows always changed on Thursday night and I had built the new Friday show on the automated platter system. Only problem is I spliced one reel flipped over the wrong way so that put the optical sound track visible on the right side of the screen and of course no audio could be heard.
The movie was "Linda Lovelace For President" and we had about 500 cars on the field that night for this first run adult movie. Sitting at my desk in the concession stand I heard a few horns honking so I looked up at the screen and immediately knew what I had done. By the time I sprinted back to the projection booth and ran up to the second floor I swore every car on the field was blowing their horn in protest to the grave error I had made the night before. It took at least 15 minutes to fix the error and the horns never let up. I was so embarrassed I stayed in the projection booth the rest of the show. I communicated with my staff via the intercom so they wouldn't wonder what had happened to me.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This post is a near direct quote of mine from the "What Annoys You?" thread (from just a couple weeks ago).

I think this is just about the apex of my level of embarrassment:

=========================

One of the most embarrassing moments in my life involved a catheter withdrawal.

I asked the nurse for something...anything...

Denied.

During the withdrawal, I called that nurse--very loudly--some of the most foul, colorful language I know. Some of it probably wasn't even grammatically correct (the horror!). I couldn't help myself. And I couldn't believe--as it was happening--how coarse some of the things I said were. I apologized profusely afterwards...saying I had never done anything like that before, etc. Fortunately, she laughed it off and said she completely understood. She was so generous about the situation. Part of what might've played into it was that I had been so very sick for such a long period of time (hospitalized for nearly 40 days). That incident still bothers me today.

I just hate the thought of catheters. And yet, there they are, advertised during cable news programs all day/night long. I cringe at the thought of them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Though not a catheter, I had a kidney stone removed and they left a stent in for a couple days to make sure everything healed ok, with just a little metal string dangling out of me. The noises and words out of my mouth when the doc yanked it out without warning during the follow up visit are almost certainly unprintable.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Though not a catheter, I had a kidney stone removed and they left a stent in for a couple days to make sure everything healed ok, with just a little metal string dangling out of me. The noises and words out of my mouth when the doc yanked it out without warning during the follow up visit are almost certainly unprintable.

But I'm older than you and know more bad words! :laugh:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
This post is a near direct quote of mine from the "What Annoys You?" thread (from just a couple weeks ago).

I think this is just about the apex of my level of embarrassment:

=========================

One of the most embarrassing moments in my life involved a catheter withdrawal.

I asked the nurse for something...anything...

Denied.

During the withdrawal, I called that nurse--very loudly--some of the most foul, colorful language I know. Some of it probably wasn't even grammatically correct (the horror!). I couldn't help myself. And I couldn't believe--as it was happening--how coarse some of the things I said were. I apologized profusely afterwards...saying I had never done anything like that before, etc. Fortunately, she laughed it off and said she completely understood. She was so generous about the situation. Part of what might've played into it was that I had been so very sick for such a long period of time (hospitalized for nearly 40 days). That incident still bothers me today.

I just hate the thought of catheters. And yet, there they are, advertised during cable news programs all day/night long. I cringe at the thought of them.

It is a painless procedure-had them many times.Just take a deep breath and relax.The pain is all in the mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks