What's new

My Mom, Who is as Low-Tech as it Gets, Buys TV on DVD (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I just got off the phone with my mom (it's her 50th birthday today) and we actually had a lengthy discussion about TV on DVD and why we love it. Did I mention this is my mother? And that she's 50??

She told me she just dropped $50 on the Agatha Christie "Miss Marple" boxset and that she wants to get into all the BBC Britcoms. She got "The Thorn Birds" and watched it in no time flat. She went through 5 seasons of "Friends" sets in a couple weeks. She finished my "Six Feet Under" season 1 in 2 days and then ordered HBO so she could watch the new episodes!

This is my mother, mind you. My mother who would rather buy a new Duncan Fife table or china hutch than invest in anything that was created digitally. Her only previous contact with the television set was to dust off the top of it. My mother who couldn't sit through a program once without getting up halfway through to vacuum the floor.

She said she would pay "any price" for "The Father Dowling Mysteries" (the Tom Bosley series from the '80s) on DVD.

That's my mom. That's TV on DVD. :D

Randy_Cre

Agent
That's great!

My mom has gotten into buying a number of season sets from Friends to some older stuff... and she's in her 60s, and the last time I visited my parents I had to redo all their VCR, DVD, TV connections because they had the VCR connected wrong so the VCR was of no use to them at the time. And tried to settle on the most foolproof setup so I didn't have to get on the phone and walk them through it a month later. But she has gotten into buying the TV on DVDs after I told her about a lot of the stuff that was coming out, told her where to find info on the internet etc.

Which is why I don't think the studios have to feel so inclined to 'skew young' with all their release choices. But they do have to promote some shows that might appeal to older viewers differently. For my generation and younger generations, we're more likely to find info about new releases... for my parents' generation their more likely to need the info to find them.

A few TV commercials for some more 'mature' type shows might result in significantly higher sales for those releases. I hope studios will recognize this and respond on releases that are not Sci-Fi, 'skewed young' or possessing a cult following. Those shows will always do well. They might find some others do well with a few well-placed TV spots.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Well my mom doesn't understand why anyone would want to buy TV on DVD and doesn't really understand my website. Yup...that's MY mom!

Gord

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Oh my mother(73yo)was the same as yours Gord... could not understand why anyone would collect tv shows on DVD. That's until I showed her some... since then I got her hook on some of the recent series and she is having fun revisting some of the old as well.

Some of her new found favorites are...
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Dark Angel
Alias
Smallville

I think I will show her my X-Files collection next! :D

I tried to show her Roswell... but she just couldn't get into that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks