My mom thinks it's rediculous that I want widescreen versions of movies.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Dec 27, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

She told me this last week. She said it's asking for too much, and that if she happens to get a fullscreen version that it shouldn't matter. I told her about how much is missing and everything. She said it still shouldn't matter, as long as I get the movie. I've shown her the Die Hard 5 Star clip and everything, and she was surprised how much was missing, but still doesn't care either way. At least my sister sees the light, and we laugh at the differences together, which is great and fun.

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

You can almost always exchange the DVD, and sometimes a store doesn't care. My fiancee accidentally got me the fullscreen version of Back to the Future for Christmas, at Walmart. I brought it with me to the mall when I was returning some other gifts, and exchanged it without any problems at FYE.

3. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

Ahh yes, Mothers and sons.

No matter how old you are, you're only 10 years old to her.

4. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

Some people just don't care. But so long as people disagree politely (and one doesn't prevail over the other), what's the problem?

5. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

I see World War IV getting started over DVD aspect ratios. [​IMG] sorry to hear that your mom is a Jane 6 Pack.[​IMG]

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

7. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Education ! Education ! In time she will relent and
    appreciate Widescreen.

8. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I told my mom (who lives in Europe where widescreen is very common on TV) that in US most of the times (on TV) they zoom in the picture and you only see part of the picture in order to fill up the screen.

She just looked at me and said: "Why would you do something like that?"

I got the impression she always assumed what was broadcast was the original aspect ratio. If it filled the 4:3 screen, that the way it was recorded and vice versa.

Thought this funny.

Ron

9. Jedrek

Jedrek Stunt Coordinator

My mom is the same way, but to a lesser degree. My Dad LOATHES widescreen (I will convert him to the light side in time!!!!) [​IMG]

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

11. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Screenwriter

Jake Lipson
    When I first began to understand what widescreen was and asked Dad to make sure I was getting the right Harry Potter, he asked why and I explained; neither Mom nor Dad really prefer either way, I think, but they know to always get the widescreen versions.

12. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I suppose she won't mind, then, if you go into her purse and chop the ends off all the bills in her wallet.

13. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I guess I'm lucky. About 10 or so years ago my father got me a LD of Once Upon a Time in the West. At that time there was no WS version available and he apologized that he wasn't able to get it in WS.

14. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Alright, I'm gonna rant here. Hang on.

I've seen this discussion pop up on HTF so many times that it is really starting to bug me now.

Many people don't care about OAR because it is simply not important to them. Period. People have said this before on this forum, but I guess noone is listening. For most people out there they are "just" seeing a movie. A flick. Something to pass the time. Even when you explain it clearly to them and show them examples of OAR, they simply don't care because it's not a priority to them.

I'm sure most of us listen to music, correct? Then we should all be listening to all our music, at home, work, in the car, with really great multi-thousand dollar systems. NOONE should be listening to music on a cheap boombox or radio because there are lots of sounds and instrumentation that will never get heard because of the porr quality of the equipment. You'll never hear the pianissimmo of a quiet Mozart passage or the incredibly deep bass in many pop/rock recordings on this cheap equipment. And the artists WANT you to hear it, else they wouldn't have put it there in the first place. But, we DO listen to these things on cheap radios, don't we? Well as purists, we shouldn't, if the logic follows through

My point is, it's not in everyone's interest to care about such things. Does everyone here take meticulous care is preparing a delicious French meal everynight? Why not? There are people out there who would never even THINK about a frozen pizza and can't understand why anyone would would eat fast food. But I'm sure a lot of people here do.

I'm all for AOR. And if people seem generally interested, I'll explain things further to them. But if they aren't I don't shove it down their throats, just like I wouldn't want them to shove, say, their religion down mine. Afterall, who could possibly NOT want eternal life with God and all that?

Educate the masses, yes. But as long as the studios continue to put out DVDs OAR, I am perfectly happy.

End rant. (whew)

15. JohnnyHK

JohnnyHK Stunt Coordinator

I tend to agree, Zane. People that just watch 'movies' generally don't care. People that watch films, do. Get over it! [​IMG]

16. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Just to clarify, I'm only ranting about what she thinks of my preference, nothing else. I don't really care what others think or prefer. If they ask me what I prefer and what my opinions on the matter are, I'll tell them. Other than that I don't go telling others(except family) which is better. I'm not the type to shove things down peoples' throats, because I hate when they do it to me.

And yes, I would listen to my music on a top notch, expensive system. If and when I have the money, I will. I don't totally see the comparison, only part of it, because it's not expensive to get movies in their OAR. All it takes is 5 seconds to read the packaging to see which version it is.

17. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Dang thing. Wrong thread.

18. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

My mother still doesn't get it, and won't until she gets a widescreen tv. My brother however, always buys the widescreen now. He doesn't like the widescreen, but he got tired of being lectured by me everytime he bought a full screen dvd. He doesn't buy widescreen for the right reasons, but the point it that he buys widescreen [​IMG]

19. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I think you're confusing issues. This isn't about people watching films on small tvs, or with cheap stereos. It's about people seeing the whole movie. The music analogy would be that noone should listen to music with the first 1/3 and last 1/3 of it missing. Or a stereo song with only the left channel.

20. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

George, I'm not confusing issues, honestly. I agree with your analogy as well.

I'm not saying everyone should sacrifice their first born for a great stereo system, but rather that the artists who created the music want the listeners to hear everything they including in it. You can't hear the quietest passages or the detail in the mixes or the specific guitar tone on the harmany part on crappy equipment, yet I'm sure many of us listen to music everyday on cheap portable gear that doesn't allow us to hear the full mix. Why? Because, just like listening to tinny music on a clock radio or watching P&S on a 19" TV, people feel that it's "good enough".

We are cinema/home theater buffs. Some of us (not me) are car buffs. Should EVERYONE care if they have the latest model or their car supped up with the best accesories? No, only the people who are into cars. And , therefore, only people who care about OAR, well, care.

I don't think we need worry about losing OAR to the Joe-sixpacks. It has been there from the beginning and is a substantial part of the studio's market. It's not going to go away (for 99% of the titles).Keep educating the public through materials on DVD, etc, but don't expect everyone to love something just because you do.