What's new

Pre-Order My Man Godfrey (1957) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81P521T12ML._SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It's really hard to try and capture "lightning in a bottle" twice with a film, this is a nice version but pails against the William Powell & Carole Lumbard classic version. As a depression era fairy tale, the 1936 version, for me, hold up much better. And the suppporting cast is also stronger with the 36 production as well.
I love both David Niven and June Allison, and it has it's moments, the magic is just not there...
<iframe width="868" height="488" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hcMSyLFAOr8" title="Carole Lombard, William Powell | My Man Godfrey (1936) Romantic Comedy | Full Movie | Subtitled" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I watched the 'pan & scan' again. I have always liked David Niven and he does a good job here considering he was cast at very short notice. Also very good are Martha Hyer and Jesse Royce Landis (and Eva Gabor). Unfortunately the same can't be said for June Allyson who spoils what would otherwise be a good film. However, it will be a treat to see it for the first time in the correct AR.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I watched the 'pan & scan' again. I have always liked David Niven and he does a good job here considering he was cast at very short notice. Also very good are Martha Hyer and Jesse Royce Landis (and Eva Gabor). Unfortunately the same can't be said for June Allyson who spoils what would otherwise be a good film. However, it will be a treat to see it for the first time in the correct AR.
it just wasn't her (June) part to play...for me it just didn't translate well.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It's strange how June Allyson has always aroused such strong responses in different people, with many disliking her intensely while others adore her fervently.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's strange how June Allyson has always aroused such strong responses in different people, with many disliking her intensely while others adore her fervently.
I don't think it's strange at all considering the roles she took and her acting style. Those that love her, couldn't get enough of her. Those that were lukewarm towards her or straight out disliked her, probably got tired of the same type of characters she played.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's strange at all considering the roles she took and her acting style. Those that love her, couldn't get enough of her. Those that were lukewarm towards her or straight out disliked her, probably got tired of the same type of characters she played.
Same type of characters? No, Mae Wesr played the same "type" of character in all her movies. Ms. Allyson may not be a Vanessa Redgrave or Jane Fonda but she had her share of different roles:

The psychotic daughter in The Secret Heart
The domineering wife who drives her husband to a nervous breakdown in The Shrike
The homicidal lesbian in They Only Kill Their Masters
The feisty liberated Jo in Little Women
The American girl in Germany who has an affair with a married man in Interlude
The brainy librarian who has no time for hijinks in Good News to name but a handful.

No doubt your retort will be "But she played them all the same way" which is not true but the same is often said of John Wayne and that wasn't true either. You don't like her, that's perfectly fine. You don't have to justify not liking her. I don't like Cate Blanchett. There's just something about her that turns me off, I'm not going to analyze it.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As expected a retort defending Allyson. Hey, I’m not a hater towards her. TBH, I always liked her to a certain degree with her raspy voice which I always thought was sexy. Unlike many others, I don’t have strong negative personal feelings towards any actor.

By the way, I’ve only seen a couple of those movies you listed so perhaps my take is wrong about her.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
As expected a retort defending Allyson. Hey, I’m not a hater towards her. TBH, I always liked her to a certain degree with her raspy voice which I always thought was sexy. Unlike many others, I don’t have strong negative personal feelings towards any actor.

By the way, I’ve only seen a couple of those movies you listed so perhaps my take is wrong about her.
Never saw her and Niven in this remake but as I posted b4 they were great stars and Koster was a great director so this will be a fun piece of fluff = her best role might be in The Glenn Miller Story which needs restoration job for sure! Thanks KINO for more Niven and Allyson!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks