What's new

My losing battle with static electricity (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
It never fails. Every door knob, door handle, sheet of linen, person.....

CRACKLE!!!

POP!!!

Honestly, I have no clue why it is so prevalent with me. A lot of people give me weird looks when I touch stuff. I get shocked like crazy. Is there something I can do to lower the incidences? I was helping a resident back into a section of the nursing home when I grabbed for the door handle. She's hard of hearing and even she heard the crackling pop.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Dude....I am the same way. And now with winter and the drier air it gets worse.................:frowning:

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
A room humidifier should help lessen the triboelectric effect, at least in that controlled environment.

"Carpet shock" can actually carry anywhere from 1,500 to 3,500 volts!

Steve Kuester

Second Unit

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but do you drag your feet at all when you walk? That can make it worse.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Well, you can get a wrist-grounding strap, of the kind used in electronics labs [even an unnoticable static discharge can kill CMOS], and fasten it around your ankle, and bring the lead up over your sock and let it drag on the ground. Better would be to fasten the lead to the bottom of you shoe. That way, you are discharged with every step you take. On the other hand, it makes you more vulnerable to accidental electrocution by lightning, loose wires, &c.
If you have a ring on one hand, or a metal wristwatch, or something, you can touch whatever-it-is with that first; I touch the key to the door jamb as I am getting out of the car. This may produce the same impressive spark, but since the charge flows out of your body through the whole body-metal contact area, you don't feel it nearly as much as when it passes out at a single point.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
used to happen to me all the time. open your car door and touch metal on the door until you are completely out of the car. it's never happened to me since.

CJ

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Use different shoe bottoms and spray your carpeting with an anti-static spray or for that matter, use a dilute solution of fabric softener to spray the carpeting.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I used to live in a apartment that whereever I went I was getting zapped. When I moved it pretty much went away.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
After reading the article, sounds as if the best solution is to be a nudist.

"Honest, officer, I'm just trying to protect the world from static electricity."

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I wear only cotton. My lab coat is cotton. I have tried the touching metal when getting out of the car and it still gets me...........:frowning:

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Do you all have electric car seats in common? Adjust the seat to where you want it for sure...then experiment & pull the fuse on the electric car seats. See if that stops the "getting shocked when getting out of the car" bit.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I still get shocked but r now more "prepared" for them. I usually ground myself by touching anything metal or using the back of my hand to discharge it first before touching a door handle with my ore sensitive fingertips. People will look at u funny but hey, it works.
On another note, when we upgraded to leather seats for the cars, it seemed to have abated a bit...

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
It's that time of year again. I have no scientific explanation for something I saw, but I was pouring some pop down the sink when sparks started flying around the sink hole. Seriously, is that even possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks