What's new

My Loewe's fried! Anyone recommend a replacement? (1 Viewer)

After 4 years of great service, my 4x3 Loewe Arcada has bitten the dust. This was a 32'' non-HD tube set, but provided the best direct view picture I've ever owned, especially after setting it with the Avia disc. Unfortunately, repairs are estmated to be over $1000 and I don't know if I can justify that for a 4 year old set. So- any recommendations for a replacement? A few preferences:
1) I prefer the deep blacks and sharpness that I get out of a tube set. Haven't really seen another technology that nails blacks like a tube. If I'm wrong, let me know.
2) I have a 4x3 set because my collection consists of so many older 4x3 movies. My Loewe did a great horizontal squeeze for anamorphic discs and that seemed to work out pretty well. I wouldn't mind a 16x9 set, but wouldn't I have to have a pretty large set to still have a 4x3 image around 30''-32'' ?
3) I use my set exclusively for my DVD and LD collection. I don't have cable and don't really intend to do so anytime in the future (although if I get a HD set, this may just be the excuse I've been waiting for).
4) I'm a stickler for grayscale and geometry. My Loewe was almost spot on for grayscale out of the box, but had slight horizontal bowing issues. I've been interested in the Sony XBR 16x9 sets, but have read about geometry issues with those. Any experiences with these?
Thanks for any help out there. If I can't find something around $2K or less, I may just go for the repair, but I'd like to see what's out there first.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest that you look seriously at the Sony KV-34XBR960 WEGA — which, at this time, may be about the best direct-view, CRT-based monitor available. It is an amazing thing to watch. Also, at this time, you're going with high-def capability no matter what.

(Wasn't the Arcada capable of doing 480p, though?)

Curious, though: What happened to your Loewe?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
If you think that the video engineers at Consumers Report can judge picture quality, Sony is the answer. All of these sets are HD.

32 inch 4:3 = sony KV32HS420 ~$845

36 inch 4:3 = sony KV36HS420 ~$1250

34 inch 16:9 = sony KD-34XS955 ~$1580

Yes, you will need a 39 inch 16:9 to give you a 32 inch 4:3 image. And there are no 16:9 CRTs larger than 34 inches.

Artie

Thanks for the suggestions. I have borrowed a fairly new Sony WEGA 27FS120 from a friend, but I can't say it holds a candle to my Loewe. The grayscale seems really off , no matter what color temperature I put it on, and there's a distinct "red" quality to the blacks that even my wife noticed (and she's pretty forgiving). All this after I calibrated the set with Video Essentials. Are all the Sony's like this? I was actually looking at the XBR, but the blacks are really driving me crazy!

As to what happened to my Loewe Arcada (and yes, I believe it did a nice upconversion to 480p), one day the set just refused to turn on. It would turn on for a second or two, a few clicking noises would be made, and it would go back to it's standby mode. I attempted to reset it by unplugging it for about 30 minutes and then plugging it in. The tube fired up, but once again the set refused to turn on. I called one of the three repair shops in Houston that handle Loewe (and the only one willing to come to my home). They inspected it and told me it was the main module, an expensive part (and most of the guts of the television). After waiting for 3 weeks for the part to arrive from Germany, the repairman came out and replaced the module and... nothing. Same symptoms. At this point they've taken it into the shop for diagnostics and I will probably hear an estimate in a few days. if it's over the $975 they quoted me for the module, I'll really have to consider just buying a new set. By the way, if there's anyone out there with knowledge of Loewe or have had similar issues, I'd love some info. I've loved my television, but information on this brand in the States is pretty rare.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks